March 17th, 2011

U.N. Security Council approves no-fly zone over Libya

The U.N. Security Council on Thursday voted to approve a no-fly zone extending over all of Libya to try to halt Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi's mounting attacks against rebel positions.

The resolution states  that "all necessary means" can be used to enforce the no-fly zone. Flights to provide humanitarian aid, medicine or for evacuations are exempt.

The vote was 10 for, none against and five abstentions.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Libya • World
  1. Jerry

Have you seen these Libya regular army troops? There a joke. What is our purpose in policing this region?
    Please someone help me make sense of why were going to risk more American lives to assist this third world piece of @$%* Please tell me.....

March 17, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Aidan

Cnn failed to announce that uk and french planes will lead the first flights.

March 17, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Brasil1958

US AWACS are in the air monitoring Gadaffi's warplanes and vectoring in allied interceptors. All the air components were already in place waiting for the 'go' order. See global security dot com

March 17, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. VegasJack

I think they needed a no-artillery zone weeks ago, not a no-fly zone today.

March 17, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sean

Hope the US let's the others in the world police this one. Someone else needs to give up kids and equipment. The US can't do it all the time.

March 17, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Whoops!

Popcorn anyone?

March 17, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • chessdad

I'm going to have popcorn and a cold beverage when they show the bombs landing on Gaddafi's headquarters.

March 17, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. 619SD

better late then never at least

March 17, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. greg

Wow

March 17, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Cirrus

The Nighthawks will fly tonight-about time.

March 17, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chessdad

I have to admit this was pathetic. I can't believe they waited so long. They should just start bombing the crap out of Gaddafi's headquarters.

March 17, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. thomasmc1957

I agree that something must be done, but I want to know Europe and Africa are going to do it, or are they going to once again expect us to clean up their mess? They have been enabling their neighbor for decades, THEY should have to do the dirty work!

March 17, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bobaloo

Got oil? Check the signs. Time at the end is near. Watch for 666. Obama said nuke plants dont pullute.

March 17, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • skarphace

@bobaloo: you should join those 5/21/11 folks. You would fit right in. Sell all your stuff and buy an RV. Just don't expect the leader of that movement to sell any of his many radio stations just yet. On 5/22/11 he will be saying 'third time is the charm".

March 17, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Libyan

Thank you and Merci! to France, USA, UK, Lebanon, UAE, and Qatar.

March 17, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • GPS

You are welcomed. Now, after we (The USA) help you rid yourselves of Gadhafi, you won't mind if we help ourselves to your oil, right? Its only fair! Establishing this No Fly Zone will cost the USA Billions of dollars, and place US Military personal in harms way. So again I ask you, "You won't mind the USA helping ourselves to your oil?"

March 17, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • skarphace

@Libyan: please do not think that the view of GPS is reflected in a majority of Americans. He is confusing the current administration with that of our previous administration. He is of the mind that if America has nothing to gain from saving lives than those lives should not be saved. Fortunately, that view is shared by the minority of Americans.

March 17, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. GPS

As a Conservative Republican (and not a Tea Party supporter. They are as wacked as the far left fringe) I supported the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. But I do not support this “No Fly Zone” resolution.

Radar Stations will need to be eliminated, as well as ground artillery positions. The second after a non combatant is killed on the ground, and it will happen, the Arab world will turn against the US and call us killers of the innocent!

Then what is next? Do we establish No Fly Zones over these other countries that are also undergoing internal strife, Bahrain, Yemen, Saudi Arabia? If Egypt remains unsettled do we rethink a No Fly Zone there?

I’m 50 years old. I’ve always known Libya to be a troubled country. Its people have supported and loved Moammar Gadhafi for decades. Now, the Libyan people decide they want him removed, and want the US to help them? I say the US because like it or not we will be the ones to take the lead here.

Then when and if Gadhafi is removed, the US once again will become the hated ones of the Arab world, and the chants of “Death to America” will be sounded even louder in the Middle East. I say let the Libyan people deal with this. They themselves are as much to blame for this situation they find themselves in as is Gadhafi.

March 17, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • skarphace

@GPS: as a moderate, I supported the war in Afghanistan, but not the one in Iraq. At least, I did not support the way in which it was called. And I fully support this NFZ as well as further measures to attack armored vehicles on the ground and in the sea. This once, American policy has nothing to do with this decision to go to war. We have absolutely nothing to gain. That is the difference between the other two conflicts and this one. And that is precisely the reason that I fully support the decision.

March 17, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Adil

this should have been done a long time ago,but these are some good news

March 17, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |