Gotta Watch: Reasons to love Detroit
Detroit, Michigan skyline from VBS.tv
March 23rd, 2011

Gotta Watch: Reasons to love Detroit

Detroit has lost a quarter of its population in the past decade. That's about 237,000 people, according to new Census figures. Lawmakers blame crime, political scandals, the collapse of the automobile industry, the housing market ... and the list goes on. However, things in Detroit aren't all bad. These videos underscore some of the great things happening in the Motor City.

Seeing past urban decay – Nothing positive in Detroit? Our friends over at VBS don't think so. They meet artists and musicians who say Detroit is a blank canvas full of possibility.

Greening Detroit roots – An environmental group sets up shop in one of Detroit's roughest neighborhoods. Their mission: to revitalize Detroit by going green. But how? We'll let them explain.

Education makeover – Math can be frightening in any city. But even more so in a city that has a staggering number of dropouts and seems to be failing its kids. Several Wayne State University professors are determined to change this and have practically reinvented the subject at math camp.

Post by:
Filed under: Economy • Gotta Watch • Michigan
  1. Me

Can we talk about Detroit or are we going to allow racist trolls of any color to derail the discussion?

March 24, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. Croozer

Racial polarization and dependence on the auto industry really hurt Detroit but its still a major city that sits on a major waterway and a gateway to Canada.
    Comerica Park, Ford Field, Fox Town, and Chene Park all reside within its city limits and the newer residents that are coming into the Downtown and Midtown areas don't care about the backwards thinking from the past.
    So all you hostile suburbanites can keep it moving with your negative thinking but just make sure you pay that water bill.

March 24, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Detroit Dog Rescue

There's tons of great stuff being done in Detroit, and lots of people working hard to make a difference. We are two people (a rapper and a television producer) who are working to try and help the 50,000+ stray dogs currently loose on the streets of the city. Please check out our video which showed some shocking footage, and support our efforts! We've got the world's attention and we won't quit until we see a change! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-bxTO_Q-5k

Or go to http://www.detroitdogrescue.com

March 24, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dtown Down

I lived in Detroit for 6 years while I went to design college for Automotive Design. I lived right next to the campus near the DIA and around Wayne State Univeristy. Let me be the first to tell you that Detroit is the butthole of the country. We'd be better off sanctioning it off as a piece of Canada and building a wall around it. The city is a pit and will never be revived. Crime is horrible and the amount of homeless people there overpopulate the amount of non-homeless. I was held up at gun point 5 times while walking to school (2 blocks). I had no cash, no idpod, and tried to be as invisible as possible, but the people there are so desperate they'll kill you over $0.50

March 25, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  5. Donald Jensen

Like the green idea and metro Deroit is in a warmer climate zone than outlying areas. Plan with design. Michigan has the road infrastructure and it is connected to the rest of the world. Meaning, that other parts of the country don't have the infrastructure, and that means that it costs more to build new.

March 28, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bajetson

Definitaly, there are some bad things going on, but I don't totally agree with the people that say you can do nothing with Detroit. Can't remember his name, but one guy moved his family from there to Oregon and started a lifestyle magazine. He was saying that you can't do anything but play Whist (the cardgame). I shouldn't be doing this, but here is the big secret, Mother Nature. You plant the right things that birds feed from and it spreads. The more birds you have, the more ground cover there is. Many streets and alleys are bad, great, these are excellent areas for tree growth. Yeah, Gurilla Gardening on a huge scale. Just haul in loads of top soil and plant trees.

March 28, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mw

Detroit is struggling, but it will come back, the guy who claims he was robbed was probably oozing fear and contempt, making himself a target, I have worked, lived, played in the city for over thirty years, never been robbed. It is human nature to look for the good, or look for the bad.... I choose to look for the good, I have never been disappointed, and I see Detroit is starting to attract people like me that are looking for the good. I have the same love for the city that my grandmother had when she was a young adult, and I am excited to see where it will be in 5 years.

March 31, 2011 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  8. bajetson

Yeah, me again. Have been thinking about this and there are many different ways to go with this. When it comes to housing, I immeadiatley think insurance and to my knowledge, if you are on general assistance they will make your homw insurance payment for you. If you rent, the landlord should have a home insurance policy. My point is that the insurance companies actually do help in maintaining the homes. When I lived in the city, my insurance company came out and took pictures of my roof and then sent me a letter telling me to put on a new roof, or find another insurance company. It was not the city telling me to put a new roof on, but the insurance company.

April 25, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |