Treasure hunters strike gold off Florida coast
March 26th, 2011

Treasure hunters strike gold off Florida coast

The ocean floor off the Florida Keys never seems to stop giving.

Diver Bill Burt with Mel Fisher’s Treasures was looking for a section of the sunken Spanish galleon, Nuestra Senora de Atocha, this week. Instead, he came across a 40- inch gold chain shimmering on the sandy ocean floor about 30 miles from Key West.

The chain, which is believed to have come from the Atocha, contains a gold medallion and a gold cross.  The cross appears to be, according to the salvors, inscribed with Latin letters.  It is estimated to be worth $250,000.

Mel Fisher’s team found a portion of the Atocha and $450 million worth of artifacts and treasure in 1985.  But the contents of the Atocha’s sterncastle, a wooden, fort-shaped area at the back of ship, have never been recovered. The Atocha sank during a hurricane in 1622.  A second hurricane is believed to have torn the sterncastle from the Atocha and carried it miles away.

More on the discovery on Mel Fisher's website
Post by:
Filed under: Florida
  1. Jack Ass

hes a diver or a p0rnstar?

March 27, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mustache

Underwater p0rn. The coolest thing to do in shark off-season.

Giant mustaches are a requirement though.

March 27, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. newton

Anyone can put any value on a piece of jewelry. The true value is what it brings when you try to sell it. Good luck bringing in more than 20K for that piece!

March 27, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. The Joker

With that mustache, I'm pretty sure he learned his diving skills at the "YYY M C A!" and "Innn the Naaavy" ...

March 27, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. chris

i'm a diver in florida and have never been that lucky, good for him

March 27, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • The Joker

I'm a diver in Kansas ... for some reason I'm never very lucky, either.

March 27, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Steelbull

He found a treasure at work. Does he own it totally and pay sale tax?

March 27, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. larso

I have a portion of a pendant recovered from the Atocha that I have had for 20 years. It is gorgeous!

March 27, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Derek

All gold made 100 years ago around the world as also now ( except Americas) is 24 K . Americas make 14K which is not refined and mixed with other metal. That is why those uneducated school drop outs who post do not know it's value.

I remeber I bought a $3000 value diamond ring which was for sal;e for $800 at a department store, When I took it to the land where diamonds are cut and made, I was told the value was not more than $100. Only in America you can get cheated not because of the seller but due to gullible nature due to lack of proper education of the buyer!!

March 27, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Mustache

he kinda looks like Quint from the movie Jaws

March 27, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. PlanA

Looks brand new!

March 27, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Broker

It's aneclace and it's a fake. try getting anything out of the sea within a week and least you get slime all over... the necklace should have been tarnished at least after 400 yrs , even if it's gold. Anyhow, I see that this dude is trying to make a big fuzz about it to be able to sell it to any sucker that has the cash ...

April 8, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • MarkinFL

Gold doesn't tarnish. At all.

April 18, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  11. James B.

While I respect the views of the archeologists that treasure hunters are often destructive, I also recognize the vast greed within me. If I ever find such treasures I will surely keep the discovery to myself and enjoy my new-found loot. I will make every effort to cover my destruction.

April 10, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Javier

How would you US citizens feel if a foreign crew had been diving in the Arizona shipwreck, in Pearl Harbor? Your sailors grave, that´s it.

June 24, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Alonzoz Sallsi

Since the admin of this site is working, no uncertainty very rapidly it will be famous, due to its feature contents.

July 29, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply