April 2nd, 2011

Jennie-O recalls nearly 55,000 pounds of frozen ground turkey

Jennie-O Turkey Store is recalling nearly 55,00 pounds of frozen, raw turkey burgers that may be contaminated with Salmonella, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service said Saturday.

The recall pertains to packages of "All Natural Turkey Burgers with seasonings Lean White Meat" with a "use by" date of December 23, 2011, the FSIS said on its website.

View label of the affected product (PDF)

The ground turkey, which comes in 4-pound boxes containing 12 patties, is sold exclusively at Sam's Club, Jennie-O said on its recall website.

Consumers who have purchased the product should not consume it. They can return it to a Sam’s Club store for a full refund, Jennie-O said.

An investigation of a Salmonella outbreak  in 10 states found three people in Colorado, Ohio, and Wisconsin reported eating the Jennie-O ground turkey before they became ill, leading the FSIS to determine there is a link between the product and the outbreak, the agency said on its website.

The last of these illnesses was reported on March 14, 2011.

Consumption of food contaminated with Salmonella can cause salmonellosis, one of the most common bacterial foodborne illnesses. Salmonella infections can be life-threatening, especially to those with weak immune systems, such as infants, the elderly, and persons with HIV infection or undergoing chemotherapy. The most common symptoms of the illness caused by eating food contaminated with Salmonella  are diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and fever, according to the FSIS. Additional symptoms may be chills, headache, nausea and vomiting that can last up to seven days.

FULL POST
Post by:
Filed under: Food
  1. Joey

I suppose that I'm pressing this point because I'm more of a performer than a composer. Stravinsky wanted to remove all of the performer's power from the experience after the Romantic period had evolved about as far as it could, so to do something "new and improved," and to gain a kind of Fountainhead power, he took music all the way back to a Classical aesthetic as pure as Mozart's.

April 3, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. raven

So does this mean you dont like Janes Addiction ?

April 3, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Joey

The "intention" of a Stravinsky-like composer is to control the entire experience.
    The true intention of a composer like Brahms or Rachmaninoff is for the performer's emotions and recreative intelligence contribute an enormous part of the experience. In one plays Brahms as objectively as one must play Stravinsky or Mozart, there is no music.

April 3, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Joey

What a way you worked up to that!
    No, that doesn't "mean" that I don't like Jane's Addiction, or cause my not liking Jane's Addiction.
    My impression, however, is that Jane's Addiction is a rock venture, and I am not interested in rock at all.
    My impression is that you do like it.
    Do you like Btrahms, Rachmaninoff, and Stravinsky? Any of them? As much as you like rock?
    I simply have never been interested in rock.

April 3, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. raven

I wasnt trying to minimize what you were saying . Just throwin a lil levity in. I do like classical music but im not nearly as knowledgable as you on the topic . My knowledge is rudimentary at best . I usually explore one artist at a time . right now its Grieg. I do like all genres with the exception of very few, including rock. I try to experience all music with an open mind .

April 3, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Joey

I'm relieved! You didn't dismiss me.
    Grieg is a wonderful interest. His piano concerto in a minor was the first piece I ever played with a symphony orchestra. I was a teenager, and that was my big high-school piece.
    Classical music is what I do. I've wanted to leave it because of the artifice of the business, but I always come back to it because of the art.
    At times I studied gemology–got a G.G. from GIA–tried writing, being a personal trainer and gym manager, but I wasn't happy.
    When I thought you were going to say anything else, I was going to send you a message saying that we don't have to agree on everuthing.
    You're a neat person and fun.

April 3, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Andrew

Yeah, "All Natural" sitting in their own feces for weeks crunched in cages. Until there is major death count incident from filthy mass-produced factory "farms" no one will do a damn thing. Shame on you US agribiz.

April 24, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse | Reply