Jennie-O Turkey Store is recalling nearly 55,00 pounds of frozen, raw turkey burgers that may be contaminated with Salmonella, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service said Saturday.
The recall pertains to packages of "All Natural Turkey Burgers with seasonings Lean White Meat" with a "use by" date of December 23, 2011, the FSIS said on its website.
The ground turkey, which comes in 4-pound boxes containing 12 patties, is sold exclusively at Sam's Club, Jennie-O said on its recall website.
Consumers who have purchased the product should not consume it. They can return it to a Sam’s Club store for a full refund, Jennie-O said.
An investigation of a Salmonella outbreak in 10 states found three people in Colorado, Ohio, and Wisconsin reported eating the Jennie-O ground turkey before they became ill, leading the FSIS to determine there is a link between the product and the outbreak, the agency said on its website.
The last of these illnesses was reported on March 14, 2011.
Consumption of food contaminated with Salmonella can cause salmonellosis, one of the most common bacterial foodborne illnesses. Salmonella infections can be life-threatening, especially to those with weak immune systems, such as infants, the elderly, and persons with HIV infection or undergoing chemotherapy. The most common symptoms of the illness caused by eating food contaminated with Salmonella are diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and fever, according to the FSIS. Additional symptoms may be chills, headache, nausea and vomiting that can last up to seven days.FULL POST