Supreme Court halts Texas execution
The Supreme Court issued a stay of execution hours before Cleve Foster was slated to die by lethal injection.
April 5th, 2011

Supreme Court halts Texas execution

The U.S. Supreme Court issued an order Tuesday morning halting the execution of Texas death row inmate Cleve Foster.

The  justices issued an order granting a stay of execution for Cleve Foster about eight hours before his scheduled lethal injection.

The Gulf War veteran was convicted along with another man of the 2002 murder of  Nyanuer  "Mary" Pal, a Sudanese immigrant he met at a Fort Worth  bar.

Read CNN's full coverage of the Cleve Foster stay of execution
Post by:
Filed under: Courts • Death Penalty • Justice • Texas
  1. Patty

LADY RANCHER!!!!Did U say class and intelligence!! Please lady, most Texans have no class and not very bright. I spent a few months in Texas could not wait to get out of there. Very dry and flat Teaxas needs some landscaping. U really should stay on your ranch!!!

AS for the death penalty. I feel that all evidence including DNA should be put out there for the Jury to make a honest decision on the persons guilt.

Many prosecuters will do almost anything to get a conviction and R known to hide some of the evidence and not allow discovery procedures. But if truly guilty they should get what they deserve.

April 5, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lady Rancher

Obviously, your Texas experience was limited........and jaded. I appreciate the fact that you still called me a lady (thank you), but a couple of months in TX does not make a person truly knowledgable. First.....are you fully aware of ALL the different aspects of the state's natural diversions..........physical, politically, etc.? Your statement alone reflects the fact that you don't have a full appreciation of the state of TX's full appreciative aspects.
      Also, I do have a bit of class. I lived in Hackensack, NJ for 13+ years and spent MANY hours in the Caribbean underwater scuba diving with the best and most knowledgable. I've got awards to prove that (underwater photography, mostly)t!!! My ex (whom I'm close to) and his best friend are world reknowned for training and knowledge.

Actually, one thing I do agree with you is that I should stay on my ranch!!! I wouldn't be so exposed to ignorance if I did!!!!

One of my fondest memories is of landing at a TX airport, then moving on to the airport exit. I actually made the comment that the vehicle causing the exit troubles acted like it was from NJ. Finally got a look at the plate, and guess what.......NJ license plate!!!

So, what does that tell you? Certain actions and activities are predictable. Own it.......or drown in it!!!!!!

I am who and what I am, and proud of it. Comanche blood runs in my viens and I'm proud of it. I'm a true blood Texan. I will NOT apologize for it. I'm PROUD of who I am, what my family heritage is, etc. Can't deal with it? Screw you!!! There is no nice way to put it!!!!

April 5, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Matthew

FYI, execution costs more, per inmate, than keeping them alive does. Its strange but true. Approximate cost of keeping an inmate alive is around $18k-31k per year, averaging 22.6k. (source:http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=16). Execution costs in the ballpark of $2.16 million on average (source: http://www.ncadp.org/index.cfm?content=24) due to the appeals process, etc. An inmate would have to be in jail 96 years before execution becomes cheaper. Do some research before you chalk it up to being cheaper.

April 5, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Twalsh5550

Death Penalty isn't more expensive we have made it that. Pass the law maikng it automatic after trial and it is about 1000.00 dollars

April 5, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. TX Lawyer

In Texas, there is no such thing as "life without parole". A life sentence here is always parolable after so many years (20, 30, whatever). It's not that our juries are more barbaric; it's that the law leaves them no choice.

Sanctioned killing by the state scares me, but like many posters have said, if my mother was the victim, I would want the guilty party to never see the light of day again. Given the choice of the death penalty or the reality that in 20 years I'd have to show up a parole hearing and relive my nightmare, the choice is clear.

April 5, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. SorryToBeTexan

Dell had closed 4 out of there 5 buildings in Texas and layed off tons of people. Teachers had been layed off and students over crammed in to classes. Rick Perry yelled at consruction workers for just doing there job.

April 5, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. RD

@linton what is tohers and ahve. If you are so classless as to stoop to making fun of someone's accent, at least check your spelling or learn how to. I moved to Texas 3 years ago but even before then I was in favor of both Bushes.

April 5, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. SADIE

I am a conservative Christian and I am pro life. That means all life. It is hard to read about what these criminals have done to their victims and have mercy for them, but that is what makes us different than them. We can look in their eyes and stop the killing blow.
    I personally think that all joy should be taken away from them. They should have NO privileges at all. No television, no radio and no books. Just them in a dank cell with ten other men. Take a page from Thailand, no one want to spend time in those prisons. No chance of parole ever and no contact with family or friends. Effectively death without dying.
    Before you say that I would believe in the death penalty if a loved one had been murdered, I have had two loved ones murdered, my uncle and cousin, but I still believe the way I do.

April 5, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. sheil

Soooo, I have read all the posts in here and have one question. What about the really bad guy that there is absolute proof he is a monster killer? - and he would kill if he had a chance in prision. IF he were to escape - no one would be safe. So where are you on the death penalty in that case? Pray he never gets out or kills a guard.
    I think people are so afraid they might get caught in a net by accident that they are willing to allow monsters to live. Choose your friends wisely!

April 5, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kf

Excellent point. And in those instances I don't exactly lose sleep or shed tears. But it's a hard line to draw. Do I really have ANY authority to say who should live and die? No. I do not. I cannot draw the line. So I'm against the Death penalty across the board. It's not easy to defend the life of Charlie Manson or Tim Mcveigh, but my MORALS dictate that I do. Yes. Liberals have morals.

April 5, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • rapierpoint

@kf – because of the way our court system is, no *one* person decides guilt or innocence in a case like this. The case has to be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to the jury, then the jury has to agree on guilt or innocence. Then, and only then, does it go into the sentencing phase. Trust me, juries do not take finding someone guilty lightly. And, furthermore, they take sentencing a person to death even more seriously.

April 5, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kf

Rapier,

My point is that NO ONE should make that line. Not one single person, Not 12.

And they dint have to be found guilty beyond"a shadow of a doubt". It's reasonable doubt which provides a lot more wriggle room to convict people even if "some" doubt exists.

Even though a jury of 12 decide on the fate, it's the prosecutors that make the decision on what to seek. Sometime life W/o parole isn't even an option. B/c of this, some people are given death, as opposed to a much lighter sentence even when doubt exists.

The Internet is full of stories of people exonerated. Oftentimes when they interview the jury afterwards, members will have second thoughts.

Again, it's the prosecutors making decisions on who to try, and what punishment to dole out.

Research the case of Randell Dale Adams. A man sent to Death Row for a crime he did not commit. He was blamed by a 16 year old who actually committed the murder of a police officer(he confessed years later). The 16 year old had recently committed several violent crimes, and Adams had a relatively clean record. Why didn't they go after the 16 year old?

Well, in Texas you can't execute a 16 year old.

April 5, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • rapierpoint

kf – the example of Adams just shows that the system does work. Though he was convicted and sentenced, Adams wan't executed. In fact, his sentence was commuted. And as long as you mention the Adams store, what do you feel about the actual killer later killing someone else, being convicted, sentenced to death and the sentence carried out?

April 5, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. SorryToBeTexan

Im a native texan who is voting for Obama

April 5, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kris

Seriously!!? Who cares!! STFU!!!!

April 5, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. RD

@linton....tath? Crappy state? What state are you from? Every state in this country has someting wonderful about it and in it except the one you are in

April 5, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. RD

@sorrytobetexan.....Move!

April 5, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Eli

Capital punishment is probably a deterrent to crime in some cases, but that's not necessarily why I think it is needed.

The best use of it is to rid our country of evil human beings that are a threat to each and every one of us.

April 5, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. TUBINTEXAS

@linton....where do you live ? You know what they say...everyone hates you when you're great ! 1836!!

April 5, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Dim Mak

I think we should make the death penalty illegal, but make conditions for the worst of the worst more harsh. Throw them all in a giant pit and let them fight over food and toilet paper. Then you could have all the lesser offenders watch the mayhem as a way to deter them from coming back to prison. Just my idea. Along with mandatory castration for repeat schmexual offenders.

April 5, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Kf

To those dissing Texas.

Stop. You don't live here. You don't know us.

Dallas, Houston, and Austin are all fairly liberal. We overwhemingly voted for Obama.

Our Governer Rick Perry, doesn't exactly endear himself to all Texans.

Texas is one of the few states making major strides in reducing Death Penalty situations. There are less Death Penalty convictions then in years past, and in cities like Dallas we have a Great DA who is working to clean up the system and right the wrongs of false convictions. Texas has exonerated more prisoners than any other state these past few years.

April 5, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Zeta

Lady Rancher:oops, your racism is showing. Try to cover it up a little better!

April 5, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply