2 killed in F/A-18 crash in California
An F/A-18 such as this one crashed in California during a training flight Wednesday.
April 6th, 2011

2 killed in F/A-18 crash in California

[Updated at 7:46 p.m. ET] Two crew members on a routine training flight were killed Wednesday when an F/A-18F aircraft crashed near Naval Air Station Lemoore in central California, the U.S. Navy said.

Capt. James Knapp, commanding officer of the station, told reporters the plane, assigned to Strike Fighter Squadron 122, crashed at 12:08 p.m. PT (3:08 p.m. ET) in a private farm field about one half mile west of the property line.

The crash of the two-seat strike fighter, which occurred southwest of Fresno, is under investigation, Knapp said.

The names of the Super Hornet crew, a pilot and weapons system operator, were being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

FULL STORY
  1. ELMER FUDD

Her we go again, it always happens in 3.'s , hope the ejected before they went down. Who is it that's was a tech with NASA, I think he said? Any way on my way home and it was a rough one today.

April 6, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • ThaGerGerm

Your brother from another mother... so stepbrother????? What? Same geniuses...What the UN crashed in Cali? Hit something... Where did you read that? Did you hit your head recently?

April 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • USMC79

@Elmer Fudd
      WHAT?!?!?

April 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Papagino

To all the retarded boneheads on this thread, especially "Another Mother..." "These geniuses" are not running Libya, the morons in DC tried it and couldn't make it work. Flying an F18 is not something you can train any monkey to do, otherwise you idiots could do it. Get back to your mom's basement and your X Box...

April 6, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • seriously really?

Since it is so easy, Lets see you fly an f18 "brotherfromanother..". Have some respect for the people serving our Country

April 6, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cajun

Putting everyone on a nice troller coaster ride today. Well played, but a little disrespectful considering the article. These guys help give you the right to troll...

April 6, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aaaaarrrrrgh!

(Shaking my fist in the air) "Curse you, GRAVITY!!!"

April 6, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lori Hocott

I shake my fist with you!

April 7, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Hello?

Um, they were both killed.

April 6, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • AxonJaxon

wouldn't looking down be more appropriate?

April 6, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • AxonJaxon

in regards to the direction of the fist waving...that is........... (gravitational pull)

April 6, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • dbarak

Did you not realize the two crewmembers died? Even if they ejected, the result ended up being the same. Your sentiments are good, but a little uninformed.

April 6, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. John

You should spell and grammar check your comment. Are you 10? Lmao

April 6, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • yup

He's 10 or less, probably the lesser.

April 6, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Uncle Togie

Well, John, you might want to capitalize "LMAO" (as it's an acronym) if you're going to play THAT game. Are you 13 or something?

April 6, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • minoa

@Uncle Togie. Acronyms are abbreviations that have become words in their own right, like laser, scuba, and radar. I don’t think LMAO rises to that level yet. LMAO is still just an abbreviation for “laughing my...” etc

April 6, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • TawnyMarie

Seems anyone using "lmao" can't be older than 10 either. Grow up.

April 6, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Holy cow

News paper rout stressing you out ?

April 6, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Grumann

Lemoore is where F-18 pilots are being trained. IT's also called the Horent's Nest. Probably a trainee that crashed...

April 6, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • brian

it was a trainee, my friend grew up w/ him.

April 7, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Chris

Im glad they cleared up that it was a US jet that crashed in California, with all of the Chinese and Russian military activity there.

Thoughts and prayers are with the aircrew and their families. Hopefully it was just a memorable event and not a tragic one.

April 6, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • seriously really?

you made me lol, ty

April 6, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • get a clue

Well if you knew a little bit more about the military and what training goes on in California, you wouldn't think it was such useless info. Bases in California and Nevada host planes from militaries all over the world for training purposes. The weather and wide open terrain make it an ideal place for military training. Bless the families who just found out today that one of their family members won't be coming home.

April 6, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ouch!

@John His name is Elmer Fudd... need I say more?!

April 6, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. @Elmer

My 9 year ld can write better than that

April 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grace

...says the person who cannot spell "old".

April 6, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. yatoolz

Not surprising! You also come across as being someone with a very low I.Q

April 6, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Michael Brown

I'm a military Air Traffic Controller and you are a fool for criticizing this situation as though it were the pilot's fault. Machines break down and when an aircraft has trouble, it's not good. He wasn't able to land the aircraft and it crashed. So be it. Sure, it's millions of dollars gone just like that, but at least the pilot is safe.

April 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deb

I work at the base here in Lemoore. My hearts go out to the families of these 2 pilots. RIP

April 6, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

BOTH pilots were killed. I live thirty minutes from there. Didn't have a chance to eject for whatever reason, being investigated as we speak.

April 6, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

We knew an F-14 pilot and REO some years ago, while taking off, there was a flame-out in the starboard engine, which put the aircraft off course and over civilian homes.
      Said pilot and REO did not eject, but guided the aircraft, near stall conditions, neat as you please, between two houses, rather than eject and risk the aircraft striking a home.

April 6, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nena

Both pilots were killed, neither of them were able to evacuate the aircraft

April 7, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. D-rick

Its sad you guys are making jokes on this post...eventhough its not reported yet...both pilots in the plane died.

April 6, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yep, I'm a jerk

So there was two pilots and they still crashed? pffft

April 6, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shooter

Yep, you're a jerk.

April 6, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tom

prayers to the families of the two gentlemen.

April 6, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. seriously really?

I could fly anything if it had PS3 Controls like the car in men in black

April 6, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. really?

really? you idiots are what there people are dieing to protect? sad state this country is in.

April 6, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nena

I agree so many Americans are risking their lives to serve our country and its sad that many of our military members don't get the respect they deserve.

April 7, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. moreinfo

Did not survive according to this.

April 6, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Robert

It is my gut feeling, that the youth of today, being born into spoiled mentality, are not fit mind to pilot these machines, as disciplined young Americans of the past decades. I wouldn't be surprised if while half the fleet today flying these lethal planes, are contemplating about their facebook statuses, while oops!

April 6, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • A young pilot

I'm 23 and have my pilot's license. It's disrespectful to say "today's youth can't fly a plane". Frankly, I think we're some of the best because we grew up with technology, which these planes rely on. Also, more than half of Naval Aviators are 30+. That's not "today's youth". When you get behind the stick of a plane, your butt is first on the line, and I PROMISE you that safety is first on our minds...we don't want to die, plain and simple. Mistakes happen when you try to out-do gravity, that's life

April 6, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

It is your gut FEELING? You have no feelings. Two human beings died in the crash.

April 6, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Interesting, as I recently retired from the Army. I've known quite a few pilots and they've saved my bacon and my team's bacon quite a few times.
      Robert, to be brutally honest, to judge you from your comment, I'll take their company ANY day over your company.

April 6, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kim

Robert your an idiot-enough said.

April 6, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • D

Interestingly, my son is a WSO who trained at Lemoore. He's one of the smartest, hardest working people I know. Every single one of the pilots and WSOs are bright, dedicated people. We should hope that all of our youth were like those good folk at Lemoore.

April 6, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trevor

Dear Gut Feeling Guy. AKA MORON,

Today's jet pilots, ESPECIALLY Navy and Marine Corps Naval Aviators (in other words carrier pilots) are tougher, smarter and better trained to fly fight and win than any previous generation. Wneh they are flying they are task saturated and information overloaded to an extent that would make a Korea or Vietnam era pilot fill his drawers. I'm a UAV pilot and I'm busy as you wouldn't believe and I never even leave the ground. These cats are making decisions at low level dropping bombs at 500 knots and coordinating with a thousand other moving pieces all at once. You couldn't do it. Only the top one tenth of one percent of our society ever get to sit in those airplanes. You don't know jack about anything.

My thoughts are with these aviators tonight. Fair winds and following seas...

April 6, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gary Johndro

Trevor,I'm with you. YABBA-DABBA-DOO!!!

April 7, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |