2 killed in F/A-18 crash in California
An F/A-18 such as this one crashed in California during a training flight Wednesday.
April 6th, 2011

2 killed in F/A-18 crash in California

[Updated at 7:46 p.m. ET] Two crew members on a routine training flight were killed Wednesday when an F/A-18F aircraft crashed near Naval Air Station Lemoore in central California, the U.S. Navy said.

Capt. James Knapp, commanding officer of the station, told reporters the plane, assigned to Strike Fighter Squadron 122, crashed at 12:08 p.m. PT (3:08 p.m. ET) in a private farm field about one half mile west of the property line.

The crash of the two-seat strike fighter, which occurred southwest of Fresno, is under investigation, Knapp said.

The names of the Super Hornet crew, a pilot and weapons system operator, were being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

FULL STORY
  1. jack

If you live by the sword, you'll die by the sword. And as for the fighting for freedom thingy, our freedoms are being eroded everyday, so someone is not doing a very good job of fighting.

April 6, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • KRISTIN, WIfe to a Lemoore Sailor

jack... where's your balls??? If you had any you would try fighting for our freedoms since you believe they are being "eroded".

April 6, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dan.

guess ill go back to my world of warcraft now... im my moms basement...

April 6, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. shocked

My heart goes out to the pilots and there families. There young men and woman dedicate there lives to making ours better and fully understand the risks that they take each and everyday. I only wish more would respect that rather than criticizing them or faulting them. I'm sure most don't realize that Lemoore is where they are training to defend our country, so do we really care how much the aircraft cost when it comes to the lives of 2 of our Navy Pilots

April 6, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. eyeforgot

Their family and friends (overseas.)

April 6, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ulysses

All of you responders need to get real. IDIOTS

April 6, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. eyeforgot

jack: Which of your freedoms was eroded today? You"re such a worm, you'd never do any of your own fighting.

April 6, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. HAWKEYE DOCTOR

See, that's what's wrong with America right now. CNN wouldn't post my first comment because I actually defended these two dead American flight crew members. @ CNN, maybe you should clean the garbage out of here that disrespects our country and its sevice members before you delete comments from a former US Marine and current defense contractor!

April 6, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lynn

We are stationed in Lemoore, I am sorry for the families involved. Prayers for their loved ones...

April 6, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. TrudyBird

I wouldn't give some of these ignorant individuals an acknowledgement of what they post. They want attention. They want to make you angry enought to comment. They are fishing for a response at the expense of someone else's loss or pain. Ignore them and they will go away.
    My sincere condolences and sympathy to the families and friends of our American pilots. May God bless our men and women in uniform.

April 6, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chelsea.

i grew up in a military family. the day i turned eighteen i joined the army. signed up for ranger school. blew out my first knee three weeks in. just kept runnin. left knee blew out a week later. did a twelve mile hike on crutches. they tore up my ranger contract and gave me a medicle discharge. but while i was wearing that uniform i would have stuck my foot right up your ass if you had called me a citizen.

April 6, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • eyeforgot

For 22 yrs. I was never a civilian, but always a citizen. PS sorry about your knees.

April 6, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lou50

just like CNN not to show a two place aircraft. it would be nice to have a writer that knew his subject. show a "family car" or nothing!

April 6, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. WifeofanAirman@NASLemoore

I'm disgusted that this unfortunate disaster has sparked such inconsiderate responses. 2 persons have just lost their lives and their family and friends will be receiving or have received the devastating news. Let's show some compassion for those who have just lost their lovedone. They're in my thoughts and prayers.

April 6, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  13. valleyma

the comments should be closed. now. i

April 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. HAWKEYE DOCTOR

Okay, CNN did post. My apologies. I am just fired up that people can say what they say about our people in our armed forces.

April 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dolly O.

May the two young men RIP. My sincere condolence to their families

April 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |