2 killed in F/A-18 crash in California
An F/A-18 such as this one crashed in California during a training flight Wednesday.
April 6th, 2011

2 killed in F/A-18 crash in California

[Updated at 7:46 p.m. ET] Two crew members on a routine training flight were killed Wednesday when an F/A-18F aircraft crashed near Naval Air Station Lemoore in central California, the U.S. Navy said.

Capt. James Knapp, commanding officer of the station, told reporters the plane, assigned to Strike Fighter Squadron 122, crashed at 12:08 p.m. PT (3:08 p.m. ET) in a private farm field about one half mile west of the property line.

The crash of the two-seat strike fighter, which occurred southwest of Fresno, is under investigation, Knapp said.

The names of the Super Hornet crew, a pilot and weapons system operator, were being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

FULL STORY
  1. Lemoore Biotch

They're in the middle of female pilot training out here, so could very well be gentleladies as well as gentlemen.. and "touch n go" training happens on a daily basis which makes ejection unlikely.. unfortunately. A sad situation, regardless of what side of the isle you sit. Or at least it should be.

April 6, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. rocky

So sad that people talk bad about dead people in this manner they were trying to serve there country while u serve you're mommas

April 6, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ANOID

Perhaps you, John should go overseas and cry for with them!

April 6, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Annoyed

Perhaps you, John should go overseas and cry for them!

April 6, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jim

Moderator PLEASE wipe out this whole page, Lets start over
    with some decent people.
    Thanks

April 6, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy

My sincerest sympathy and condolences to the families of those pilots. My heart goes out to you all.
    @Qwerty & jack: may your families never have to feel the pain the pilots' families have to suffer because of their deaths. But I have a feeling your families already suffer from you two even *existing.*

April 6, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. taco bell

im proud to be an american... where atleast i know im free... and i wont forget the men who died, to give that right to me...

April 6, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ...NOT!!!

chelsea, I don't believe for one second that you were ever in the Army, let alone allowed into Ranger School! I don't believe that you finished eighth grade, let alone a 12 mile hike on crutches. The way you spell and your atrocious grammar, lack of capital letters and punctuation tells me that. Go peddle your tall tales elsewhere.

Prayers and condolences to the families of the pilots.

April 6, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chelsea.

dad was airforce. mom was navy. three uncles in the army. one uncle and two cousins in marine corp. we are also a biker family. so no matter if its a patch or a uniform, you have earned the right to be above citizens.

April 6, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ProudNavyWife

I live aboard NAS Lemoore, where my husband works. These pilots will probably turn out to be someone my family knows. It's a shame they died defending such idiots as some of the people on this site. You can thank these dead heroes and the families they left behind that you have the freedom to show your lack of brains and morals to the world. YOU are what's wrong with this country. THEY are what's right about it.

April 6, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

Are you trying to say that I'm an idiot,ProudNavyWife? Did you ever finish high scholl? Well I did. Those guys made a concientious choice to join the military since none were drafted. I'm aggravated because the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have nothing to do with neither national security nor our so-called "freedoms" as anyone should know.

April 6, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kim

I agree 100% with you ProudNavyWife!

April 6, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • KRISTIN, WIfe to a Lemoore Sailor

ProudNavyWIfe... it is probably someone my husband knows also... guess we just have to ignore the uneducated ignorant people in this country.

April 6, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Alan

Sorry to hear of this accident. I have a good friend who is a Hornet RIO at LeMoore, and my thoughts are with them all.

Oh, and just of point of note for the folks who put this together - if you're going to write a story about the deaths of two US fliers, try using a stock photo of a US aircraft (as well as one of a two-seater model, not a single-seater). Nothing against the RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force), but it just makes sense to be factually accurate in the graphics used (as well as the verbiage).

April 6, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jenny-Jen-Jen

Wow.... Pure ignorance like this shouldn't even be acknowledged. I'd like to think I put on this uniform everyday for those who appreciate it. You ignorant people aren't even worth a thought so you and your words don't mean anything. May god help you selfish people. Thank you to those who care about what we do and don't take life for granted. My heart goes out to the families of these two brave men who put on that flight suit everyday knowing the danger and that their feet may not ever touch the ground again but yet they do it anyway. You don't get much more heroic than that in my book. RIP

April 6, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • PROUD & GRATEFUL AMERICAN

Thank you for your service Jenny-Jen-Jen. May God Bless you and our military. STAND PROUD & APPRECIATED!!!!!!!

April 7, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Peggy

I am competely shocked that American citizens feel comfortable talking trash about our men and women in the armed forces. To be honest...it makes me sick! We are people who live in the UNITED States...let's support our country not cut it down! The bottom line here is that two military men died today. These men died for all of us to live united. My thoughts and prays are with these young mens family's.

April 6, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Come on Peggy,did you forget about Vietnam,Iraq and Afghanistan where a lot of people were needlessly slaughtered by our troops? Well I didn't. War is hell anyway but what makes me sick are these worthless politicians in Washington who get us into one for the sake of political gain!!!

April 7, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chelsea.

So very sorry that my lack of gramer offends you. its a little hard to get it all perfect on this phone. ass. i got nothing to prove to you. i gave my knees to this country. a lifetime of pain. and since the booted me before i finnished basic i get no bennifits.

April 6, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jack nhoff

can you hear me major tom?

April 6, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |