White children in the minority in 10 states
April 6th, 2011

White children in the minority in 10 states

White children are now in the minority among people under 18 in 10 U.S. states and 35 large metro areas, according to a Brookings analysis of 2010 Census data.

The number of white children in metro areas including Atlanta, Georgia; Dallas, Texas; Orlando, Florida; and Phoenix, Arizona, fell below that of other children in the last decade as the population of white children nationwide declined by 4.3 million, the report said.

The decline occurred as the number of children identified as "new minorities" - Hispanics, Asians and other racial groups apart from whites, blacks and American Indians - grew by 5.5 million, the report said.

Hispanics registered an increase of 4.8 million, which kept the nation's overall child population from declining, the report said. The findings reflect changes in the racial makeup of the overall U.S. population with Hispanics becoming the nation's largest and fastest growing minority group.

Hispanics now comprise 23% of children, up from 12% in 1990, while whites now comprise just 53% of youth, down from nearly 70%  in 1990.

The findings also underscore projections that the country will become "white minority" by 2042 as the race's median age keeps increasing. The child population stands to hit that mark in 2023.

"Slower growth among whites owes in part to their lower fertility rate - about 1.9 births per white woman, compared with 3.0 births per Hispanic woman - as well as a relatively low contribution to population growth from immigration" the report stated.

From 2000 to 2009, only 15% of growth in the immigrant population was attributable to whites, compared with 78% for Hispanics, Asians and other new minorities.

The report also said the aging white population contributes to a lower growth rate because proportionately, fewer white women are in their child-bearing years.

"The median age of whites is 41, compared to 27 for Hispanics, 35 for Asians, and a staggering 20 for the population of more than one race. As a further reflection of these age differences by race and ethnicity, just one-fifth of U.S. whites are under age 18, compared with one-third of all Hispanics."

The study also found that the decline in white children reduced the growth rate of the overall child population, from 13.7% in the 1990s to 2.6% in the 2000s. Though variation from state to state in child growth was considerable, on the whole, 46 states registered declines in their white child populations.

Not surprisingly, most of the states that experienced growth in populations of minority children are the ones where white children are in the minority: California, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Mississippi and Maryland.

Post by:
Filed under: Census
  1. comeON

BORDER CONTROL!!!

April 6, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jamal

Ha ha. White man scared now.

April 6, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy

@Fascinated1:

The forms were never sent to the homes, calls to the Census Bureau went unanswered, and there were not census-takers going door-to-door. Those were for the short forms only; I was one of the few households that got the long, very detailed form, and I got inundated with phone calls for *months* after sending it in; then they sent me the short form! (I got the long one in late Nov.-early Dec. '09) meanwhile, many, many neighborhoods never received contact of any sort.

April 6, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Nathan

So what? I can't think of a less relevant story that has made CNN's front page. I'm on Bullworth's side (old reference, I know)...let's all **** 'till we're all the same color.

April 6, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jimbo

Nope Nelson- whites have work ethic and earn their way thru life living within tthe means produced by our own work. Thanks to the libs giving away all of their socialist governmet gifts the illegals can come here be lazy, have many many kids, and benefit more than if they worked. If I were born in mexico I'd be looking to get my free piece of our american pie too.

April 6, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pedro

jimbo – You are wrong. Mexicans who come to America are not lazy. They work very hard for very little pay. They do not get any benefits. I have noticed that minorities work very hard and take on jobs that many whites refuse to do. Custodians and janitors for example. I have never seen a white custodian. Maybe caucasions think they are too good for those jobs and prefer to live off welfare. Caucasions are more likely to be on welfare than any other race.

April 7, 2011 at 3:41 am | Report abuse |
    • toxictown

Seriously, I do not know where the haters get this cartoon of legions of shiftless, lazy immigrants kicking back and sucking off the teat of the state. I have worked a lot of so-called lower-end jobs in my day alongside (mostly) hispanic and carribean guys (I am white) and most of these guys worked like ANTS! No, I never knew who was legal and who was not (and didn't ask) but a lot of these guys were living in overcrowded conditions (to save money), doing crap work and working 18hrs a day. Let's see how many suburban white kids we get to sign up for that program.

April 7, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • vence

Toxictown for president!!!!!

April 7, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • texas2618I'm sure

I'm sure they are hard workers. The problem is they don't make enough to support themselves so the working taxpayer pays for their every need. There's no balance. Nobody is paying MY bills.

April 8, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Doubtful

The suburban white kids have been displaced in entry-level jobs by 11 million illegal aliens. If they can get hired by anyone, their taxes are used to help support illegals, who do receive a lot of government services.

July 5, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Dan the Man

What's this? White kids aren't the majority in all of the US? BLASPHEMY!!!!
    Seriously, how is does this qualify as news? Who cares? People are dying, at war, suffering from natural disasters, and god knows what else, and we need to be alerted that schools are continuing to be racially diverse? C'mon, report something that matters.

April 6, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Raul

Vent all you want, just keep in mind that in 20 years we will be calling the shots. Have you enrolled your children is Spanish classes yet?

April 6, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

well my children have not taken spanish classes but i know your daughter had to go through ESL while all the other kids learned language arts.

April 7, 2011 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  8. jimbo

Let me guess,...you are a government worker???

April 6, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ben

As a health care worker I see a side of this that is creating a large problem. I work in a community health clinic, and have worked in several throughout the nation. In these clinics we see a vast majority of "need based patients". These patients come in receive free care (that is paid for by you and me) and have very little follow up. Even the poor children receive little care at home and get to a point where the care that they need requires general anesthesia in a hospital. This is a huge expense that falls on the tax payers. Often times this is a something that will require a second treatment because the home care doesn't change. I'm not suggesting that this blame falls solely on any one ethnic group, and it's definitely not the children's fault. What bothers me most though is that there are times when immigration will do sweeps of communities and the number of patients that show up to these appointments drops to 10% or less! That means that we as a nation are providing care for non citizens when we can't even take care of those that contribute financially to society in the way of taxes. Something has to be done, what it is I don't know, but we are in a world of hurt and it's only getting worse. Some citizens that do everything right and need care for something like a root canal can't afford, but these non citizens come in and are treated for $20! I can't even get a root canal for $20 and I provide the care!

April 6, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Timetraveler

Mexican women's favorite pass time is popping out kids. Same with Indian women (the Mumbai variety, not native). Actually, more so. It's a very very very rare occasion that I see an Indian women who is not knocked up while also carrying a baby and dragging 4 other kids along behind her. You think this country is turning into Mexico? Think again. In 20 years this will be frickin India. They multiply faster than bacteria.

April 6, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Matt Denman

So? I'm a teacher, and many of my best students are minorities. One race. The human race.

April 6, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. joe

White children in the minority in 10 (cities) states shock journalism.. at its worse...

April 6, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jasel

Wow @ all the scared white people.

April 6, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Kentfire

I like you idea on this one!

April 6, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |