White children in the minority in 10 states
April 6th, 2011

White children in the minority in 10 states

White children are now in the minority among people under 18 in 10 U.S. states and 35 large metro areas, according to a Brookings analysis of 2010 Census data.

The number of white children in metro areas including Atlanta, Georgia; Dallas, Texas; Orlando, Florida; and Phoenix, Arizona, fell below that of other children in the last decade as the population of white children nationwide declined by 4.3 million, the report said.

The decline occurred as the number of children identified as "new minorities" - Hispanics, Asians and other racial groups apart from whites, blacks and American Indians - grew by 5.5 million, the report said.

Hispanics registered an increase of 4.8 million, which kept the nation's overall child population from declining, the report said. The findings reflect changes in the racial makeup of the overall U.S. population with Hispanics becoming the nation's largest and fastest growing minority group.

Hispanics now comprise 23% of children, up from 12% in 1990, while whites now comprise just 53% of youth, down from nearly 70%  in 1990.

The findings also underscore projections that the country will become "white minority" by 2042 as the race's median age keeps increasing. The child population stands to hit that mark in 2023.

"Slower growth among whites owes in part to their lower fertility rate - about 1.9 births per white woman, compared with 3.0 births per Hispanic woman - as well as a relatively low contribution to population growth from immigration" the report stated.

From 2000 to 2009, only 15% of growth in the immigrant population was attributable to whites, compared with 78% for Hispanics, Asians and other new minorities.

The report also said the aging white population contributes to a lower growth rate because proportionately, fewer white women are in their child-bearing years.

"The median age of whites is 41, compared to 27 for Hispanics, 35 for Asians, and a staggering 20 for the population of more than one race. As a further reflection of these age differences by race and ethnicity, just one-fifth of U.S. whites are under age 18, compared with one-third of all Hispanics."

The study also found that the decline in white children reduced the growth rate of the overall child population, from 13.7% in the 1990s to 2.6% in the 2000s. Though variation from state to state in child growth was considerable, on the whole, 46 states registered declines in their white child populations.

Not surprisingly, most of the states that experienced growth in populations of minority children are the ones where white children are in the minority: California, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Mississippi and Maryland.

Post by:
Filed under: Census
  1. DFWDelia

I'm an American-born Mexican girl whose parents came to Texas LEGALLY and raised 10 children. We weren't on government assistance, we all got at least a high school education, and we've done pretty well with our lives in my opinion. Seven of my brothers and sisters have at least some college education and five have graduated with their diplomas. Again, it was not with government money. Believe it or not, Latinos can do all right with little money. We didn't grow up with fancy cars or a big house or designer clothes, but we had enough to get by. Our momma and dad worked hard and stayed married and loved each other and who loved us. I know the stereotypes and there is always a certain amount of truth to them, but I married a white non-Hispanic man who I know thinks I'm pretty special regardless of my ethnicity.

April 7, 2011 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Umbra

For god sakes – finnaly a good comment.
      Good luck to you and your family! Please – understand, white population is on defense. And it is NOT good for non-white people. White people in majority are pro-human rights and pro-equality. Because we been on the opposite side. We know what it's like. And we don't want it – so we fight against it. European population proved to be most aggressive and resilient, so at our prime we practically conquered the world – but that was NOT the goal and it is not now. Please – learn from our mistakes and don't hate us in hope of someday become us in our worst variant.
      People – let's get along.

April 7, 2011 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

If you're an American citizen, it's time to start acting like one. Most Americans don't have a problem with legal immigrants, although the influx of them needs to be drastically slowed down until our citizens have good employment and our economy stabilizes. I'm glad your family has been successful. Our immigration laws are generous and reasonable and they need to apply to everyone, regardless of nationality. I hope you and your family joins other U.S. citizens in demanding better enforcement of our immigration laws, requiring that eVerify be mandatory for every employer, declaring English our official language, and insisting on proof of legal residence to obtain any social services other than emergency medical care.

April 7, 2011 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. Robert Brunner

By ridding the country of the white race I would love to know just one thing. What are you people going to do when the welfare runs out and you're hungry. The white race needs to take care of their own.... no more providing welfare dollars so all other races can produce more kids.

April 7, 2011 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Jack

Newsflash Robert: There are more whites on welfare than any other race. Time to get off your soap box.

April 7, 2011 at 4:13 am | Report abuse |
  3. Chill

Don't worry Fukushima is coming. Not Jesus.

April 7, 2011 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  4. JRC123

Wonder if the white kids can now start expecting handouts and preferential placement as their 'oppressed' brethren have in the past.

Not likely...

April 7, 2011 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Emily

Wouldn't that be nice? Nope, La Raza ("the race") is working hard to ensure that U.S. citizens are last in line for our taxpayer-funded benefits, regardless of race.

April 7, 2011 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Joel

"like"

April 7, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Baldheaded Foo

hate to be the bearer of bad news but your white female counterparts already get free handouts (scholarships in predominantly male fields of study, free drinks, free meals, etc, women-only "fill in blank" passes for speeding and other crimes) its just you being denied boy.

May 7, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. georjetset

It's about time!

April 7, 2011 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  6. bobster26

people wake-up, The word you're looking for is assimilate. "No race is a country" Just as the techtonic plates, Earth's crust, are shifting- we as people are destine to travel with the Earth. and the moral of the story is; Pack lightly, your only aloud to carry-on so much baggage in your mind.

April 7, 2011 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Basil999

Right on dude. You nailed it.

April 12, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. em_deville

Why is this important? It seems like only whites are concerned about it. Are (some) whites afraid that they will be treated the way other minorities have been since before this country was founded? Turnabout is fair play.

April 7, 2011 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Umbra

So you want turnabout? Are you ready for it from your end? Cause it don't only involve intimidation of minorities – it also involves running a country... Not exactly rap game or washing cars.

April 7, 2011 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  8. italiangirl17

This might be good for me and my families as whites! Minorities get all kinds of goodies. Maybe my white kid will get special scholarships for college, tax breaks, hiring incentives, extra points on government tests, etc.

April 7, 2011 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Baldheaded Foo

Spaghetti dip, your people weren't even considered white when you first came here, you were "southern europeans" look it up in census. leave brooklyn or nj and try going to a small town in midwest or south and see how well you fit in. white girls get more perks than anyone else by far and never suffer one minute of their life.

May 7, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ben

I am neither surprised to learn this nor am I upset. America has seen this kind of immigration and shift in demographics before during the massive immigration at the turn of the 20th century. I myself only have a great-grandparent that can trace their bloodline back before those days- the rest of my ancestry came to America through the gates of Ellis Island. It's a definite shock to alot of Americans that they will one day be outnumbered by racial minorities, but there is no stopping it. America is the beacon of light in the world, right? I respect the fact that so many people want to make their livelihood in America, and many of today's immigrants are making incredible contributions to our society. I hope that people can realize that instead of clinging to xenophobia and prejudice.

April 7, 2011 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Eder Castillo

Wisest thing anyone has said on here.

April 7, 2011 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
    • vence

Ben for president. BTW I am hispanic Better know as anchorbaby.

April 7, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Stephanie

This article with in itself is backwards and ridiculous. The language is very negative. And it's still assigning percentages based on the color of skin. Give me the definition of ethnicity, or minority, or half the words in this article. Why continue to support this terrible way of thinking.

April 7, 2011 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  11. helloignorance

Pure ignorance in the majority of these comments. No wonder other countries view us so negatively.

April 7, 2011 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
    • NPhxAz

But we are a nation of stupid brown people now... please forgive our sheer stupidity.

April 7, 2011 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Linda

Yes, thats why they all are trying to get in.....

April 7, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Jokester

I know, whereas before it was run by only stupid white people.

April 8, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. NPhxAz

I'll be a dick. But I'll be an honest one.

April 7, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  13. Denise

Since when did whites have to be the majority? Hmmmmm. Take a look at yourselves, America. Does it really matter in the final analysis??????

April 7, 2011 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
    • NPhxAz

I bet you aren't raising children.

April 7, 2011 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Clint

This would be fine and dandy except Mexico is about 99% Latino, China is 99% Asian, Saudi Arabia is 90% Arabic etc etc. The only countries on earth that are being accused of racism is formerly white countries that are being overran by non-whites.

Everyone else has a home nation, where is mine?

April 7, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Jokester

Clint, it is people like you who totally deserve to become a minority.

April 8, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joe

Yep; I welcome the citizens of every race and the immigrants of every nationality who played by our rules to get here, but everyone else needs to go home. Enough is enough.

April 7, 2011 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  15. Keri

What I dont understand is how White Men hate White Women? I never see White guys with White Girls. I am white and I get turned down for dates with white guys because they say that they do not want to date a white/blonde girl. My brothers friend which is white, said that he would never date a white girl. When I asked why, he just shrugged and said I dont know. Sorry but that is no excuse!

April 7, 2011 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Kenny

When I see a White couple today I stop and look and think to myself, "WOW.....Now there goes an endangered species."

April 7, 2011 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Rv41

I'd date you.

April 7, 2011 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Rv41

And I'm proudly 100% blue eyed northern european.

April 7, 2011 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Carla

There was a recent survey of mostly white people about their ideas about beauty. The majority of whites don't think blonde/blue eyed are the most beautiful women. They think women who are multi-racial are the most beautiful. Women like Jessica Alba and Halle Berry are the contemporary ideas of beauty rather than the blond hair blue eyed Christy Brinkley who was the top model 20 years ago.

April 7, 2011 at 4:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Clint

I don't know what world you are living in.

April 7, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Jokester

A modern one. At one time, NOBODY in the world was white. Nobody cared then, so why should anybody care now? It's just a color. My wife has red hair, white skin and blue eyes. My son has brown hair, brown skin and blue eyes. They're both beautiful, in my book.

April 8, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Baldheaded Foo

very few men turn down a hot white chick, you probably just aren't accepting the sad reality that you look like Sh!$. lose weight, get tanned, stop being feminist and be more appreciative of white men's noble behavior.

May 7, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |