White children in the minority in 10 states
April 6th, 2011

White children in the minority in 10 states

White children are now in the minority among people under 18 in 10 U.S. states and 35 large metro areas, according to a Brookings analysis of 2010 Census data.

The number of white children in metro areas including Atlanta, Georgia; Dallas, Texas; Orlando, Florida; and Phoenix, Arizona, fell below that of other children in the last decade as the population of white children nationwide declined by 4.3 million, the report said.

The decline occurred as the number of children identified as "new minorities" - Hispanics, Asians and other racial groups apart from whites, blacks and American Indians - grew by 5.5 million, the report said.

Hispanics registered an increase of 4.8 million, which kept the nation's overall child population from declining, the report said. The findings reflect changes in the racial makeup of the overall U.S. population with Hispanics becoming the nation's largest and fastest growing minority group.

Hispanics now comprise 23% of children, up from 12% in 1990, while whites now comprise just 53% of youth, down from nearly 70%  in 1990.

The findings also underscore projections that the country will become "white minority" by 2042 as the race's median age keeps increasing. The child population stands to hit that mark in 2023.

"Slower growth among whites owes in part to their lower fertility rate - about 1.9 births per white woman, compared with 3.0 births per Hispanic woman - as well as a relatively low contribution to population growth from immigration" the report stated.

From 2000 to 2009, only 15% of growth in the immigrant population was attributable to whites, compared with 78% for Hispanics, Asians and other new minorities.

The report also said the aging white population contributes to a lower growth rate because proportionately, fewer white women are in their child-bearing years.

"The median age of whites is 41, compared to 27 for Hispanics, 35 for Asians, and a staggering 20 for the population of more than one race. As a further reflection of these age differences by race and ethnicity, just one-fifth of U.S. whites are under age 18, compared with one-third of all Hispanics."

The study also found that the decline in white children reduced the growth rate of the overall child population, from 13.7% in the 1990s to 2.6% in the 2000s. Though variation from state to state in child growth was considerable, on the whole, 46 states registered declines in their white child populations.

Not surprisingly, most of the states that experienced growth in populations of minority children are the ones where white children are in the minority: California, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Mississippi and Maryland.

Post by:
Filed under: Census
  1. tired of bigotry

I don really care about ones race .. we are all here on earth for a short time .. some born rich .. some poor .. some in wealthy countries .. some is not so wealthy countries .. people trying to survive . I would think if I was from a poor country that is riddled with violence and poverty I would do what I have to do to help my family survive . Some people have to sacrafice and raise their children by themselves while their husbands make a very dangerous journey to another country to work .. not because they love all the racist bigots here in United States .. but because they can't trust their own government to help them or even to protect them .. they make a sacrafice very few " americans " have had to do in order to make sure their families are provided for . Do you blame them ? There are so many people of other countries that hate the people of the United States because of the way we have treated people of other races or cultures. We were very blessed as American citizens to have been born here .... ( Not like we had a choice in the matter) How can people mistreat people of other races/cultures , disrespect them or deny other the opportunity to better their lives and lives of their families just because there is an imaginary line that is called a border ? I say that the problem is allowing so many people that were born in the united states to ride off the government .. because they are too lazy to get a job and work . There needs to be welfare reform . I am tired of working my butt off and barely surviving.. while Jaquisha is living in a 1000.00 a month home that the government pays for every month and getting food stamps and free medical care for her children . I say if your of good health and able to work .. you should not be letting the government pay your houseing / food . So many people come here to work and they do pay their taxes and never get a " tax refund " because they are illegal .. I 'd rather see them working and providing for their families than jaquisha and Sally sitting on their butts doing nothing and laughing all the way to the beauty salon . I am against illegal immigrants getting government benefits .. they didn't get them in their own country .. but can I deny them a right to come and work for a living ? Sorry but my heart does not allow me to do that . How can you send people back to a country that has a corrupt goverment that is controlled by cartels and mafias ? These people need a chance .. let them identify themselves and if they dont have any drug/weapons/ violent crime charges .. let them pay fines and become part of a law abiding society that I am sure they would love to become a part of if only given a chance .. I do not think it should be called amnestly but should be called compassion . We need to know who we already have in our country and weed out the bad fruits ...not because they stepped over an imaginary line that " man" made but if they pose a threat to our society . United States is not gaining any friendships from citizens of other countries by acting as bigots .. and you know what .. we never know when we might just need a helping hand from other countries especially our border neigbors . Let our "illegal friends" pay fines ( economy boost) apply for residence , get the drivers license and insurance they would love to be able to legally obtain .. work and pay taxes ( most already pay taxes).. so Bubba and Pearl will stop whining about what the illegals are doing to the economy . No free food /houseing for any able bodied , stable minded people in the united states period !!! !!!! This goes for white , black , asian, latino .... anybody . Work , pay your own way , abide by the law and be merry .

April 7, 2011 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
  2. Krissy

Maria, you have some major issues! I bet you harass white people if you see them walking down a street!

April 7, 2011 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  3. Booyah

Put down the extra helpings and start walking it off

April 7, 2011 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. TheBroker

Disgusting. Hispanics account for 4.8 million of the 5.5 million increase in non-white child birth? Hmmmmm... I wonder if that has anything to do with their parents wanting green cards?

April 7, 2011 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  5. random chicagoan

Because White People don't have 12 "Baby Daddies".

April 7, 2011 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Skaytn

There's where your wrong.

April 14, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Baldheaded Foo

no, its because white chicks are uninspired to procreate with something that can't see, touch or feel. as i'm sure you know, in-vitro is quite expensive.

May 7, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. What happened to my "American Dreams"

I came to America looking for "American Dreams". I worked hard to achieve my education and career goals. But now all I see around is uneducated lazy hispanics on welfare. I have been robbed of my "American Dreams". When hispanics become the majority, I am packing my bags and moving back to my motherland. I did not come to America chasing "Mexican Dreams".

April 7, 2011 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  7. TheBroker

Hmmm... I wonder why neighborhoods with the lowest crime rates are 95%+ white?

April 7, 2011 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jeb Middlebrook

My new novel, Ghosts, projects this subject 200+ years into the future. Coming Summer 2011. Check it out: http://facebook.com/jebmiddlebrook

CHAPTER 1: BEGINNINGS

“They called them Ghosts. Maybe fifty to one hundred years before they were called White people. But now everyone just called them Ghosts. I think it was around 2050 when the Global Census predicted that they would become the new minority. And it came true, but faster than anyone expected.” – from Ghosts by Jeb Middlebrook

Imagine a multicolored future where governments have given way to tribal groups, corporations have bowed to local artisans. Medicine women and musicians roam the largely desert landscape, searching, not for meaning but for food and water. But the rumors linger. The elders whisper of the coming of the Ghosts, a long lost people reincarnated from dust and ash, returning to claim a God-given land. One young woman, infected by a strange whitening rash, suspects the Ghosts may be closer than anyone knows. She sets out on a mission to save her people and herself, stumbling onto a destined path of tragic proportions.

Ghosts, in e-book and paperback, will be published in Summer 2011. For updates and exclusive releases, follow Jeb Middlebrook on Facebook and Twitter.

April 7, 2011 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  9. TheBroker

Fearless... You're an idiot. Bohner's face is most definitely not pink. I would say orange if anything.

April 7, 2011 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  10. Rv41

Just because I reject your culture that is being shoved in my face constantly because I love my own, don't call me a racist.
    Also, I have questions for all you "human race" people: Why is it that you never hear of influxes of white people causing controversy in brown/black countries? Why is it that the countries founded by, and historically dominated by whites, are the countries that are being bombarded with immigrants and refugees from the 3rd world? When is the last time you ever heard of a Norwegian or Dutch refugee? The problem with the brown/black countries, is that they are full of blacks and browns.

April 7, 2011 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Jack

It's called reverse colonization!

April 8, 2011 at 4:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris Stanley

"Why is it that you never hear of influxes of white people causing controversy in brown/black countries?"

Really? There are several dozen countries in Africa, the Middle East, the Americas, Asia, and Oceania who might beg to differ with your account of history. There are hundreds of years where exactly what you are describing did happen, although to call it merely "controversy" is a tad mild.

Is today opposite day?

April 12, 2011 at 3:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Skaytn

I will call you a racist because you judge people as a group based on the color of their skin. Judge them individually based on the content of their character. Nobody is shoving anything in your face. Get your own life and change your focus. No one is coming after you. You are not that important to them.

April 14, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Dan

Somewhere along the 50's a lot of white people around the world rejected traditional families and the main issue for them became money. So noways a lot of white women do not want to have kids. Or by the time they want to have kids, it is too late so they have to go and adopt a Chinese or black kid. As before they wanted to get married in their 20's and early 30's now they wait for the late 30's and 40's and just party and drink. They rather party and have a good time and make money – see most America's wildest girls are what race. Also a lot of them also get stds when they are young and they can't have kids. Abortion is very popular too. Don't blame the other races, you guys did it to yourself. From the US to Italy, from the UK to Russia is happening in all countries with white people. Even the white guys are marring Asians and Latin girls as they tend to be more traditional than the white girls

April 7, 2011 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Krissy

Very true Dan. I fully agree with you. Most of the drunk women at my college are white. You never see an African American or Latino student drinking and acting crazy like the white girls.

April 7, 2011 at 4:21 am | Report abuse |
  12. TheBroker

Once they're the majority, they'll screw it up like they've done in all of their countries.

April 7, 2011 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Riqyboy

Like the "AMERICAN" government has done a great job so far.

April 7, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  13. vence

Very interesting. Very much hate on both parts. I am wondering if the native Americans felt the same way when whites took everything from them. Most whites have forgotten history. They never thought that what goes around comes around. Now they blame on their own women for not having enough babies. I am just wondering what they thought when they were killing Indian children, slave children and all atrocities they commit, and now their womens are guilty.

April 7, 2011 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
    • TD

I think most of the educated people of the world are having less children not only because they want a better life for themselves, but they realize that the earth cannot sustain a relentless baby factory from those who cannot take care of themselves. The rubber is about to meet the road on this issue and it won't be pretty when it does!

April 7, 2011 at 4:27 am | Report abuse |
  14. TheBroker

Dan... You kind of have a point. You're talking about American girls of all races. Foreign women are generally more traditional than American women, regardless of race.

April 7, 2011 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  15. toya

listen years ago i was on food stamps and welfare not because i'm lazy but i was not at a place were i could make it on my own with a baby i luv very much, i needed help and welfare gave me the help i needed. now i have a good job my daughter goes to a private school and i pay taxes like everyone else. i'm in a good place in my life, but if it was up to alot of you who are commenting i do not know were i would be today. i'm thinking about all of the single moms and dads blacks, whites, purples and red people who just need a little help. maybe you all should do the same. and p.s. being on welfare was not something i was proud of and alot of people who have to be on it is very embarrassed to be.

April 7, 2011 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
    • listen good now

Ms Toya ... if you paid attention you would realize that tired of bigotry stated that they were tired of people living or riding off the government . That means someone who has been doing it for years and years with no intentions of bettering themselves . You would not be included in that group because you used it as needed until you got on your own feet and that is what it should be implemented to do . Congratulations !!!

April 12, 2011 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |