White children in the minority in 10 states
April 6th, 2011

White children in the minority in 10 states

White children are now in the minority among people under 18 in 10 U.S. states and 35 large metro areas, according to a Brookings analysis of 2010 Census data.

The number of white children in metro areas including Atlanta, Georgia; Dallas, Texas; Orlando, Florida; and Phoenix, Arizona, fell below that of other children in the last decade as the population of white children nationwide declined by 4.3 million, the report said.

The decline occurred as the number of children identified as "new minorities" - Hispanics, Asians and other racial groups apart from whites, blacks and American Indians - grew by 5.5 million, the report said.

Hispanics registered an increase of 4.8 million, which kept the nation's overall child population from declining, the report said. The findings reflect changes in the racial makeup of the overall U.S. population with Hispanics becoming the nation's largest and fastest growing minority group.

Hispanics now comprise 23% of children, up from 12% in 1990, while whites now comprise just 53% of youth, down from nearly 70%  in 1990.

The findings also underscore projections that the country will become "white minority" by 2042 as the race's median age keeps increasing. The child population stands to hit that mark in 2023.

"Slower growth among whites owes in part to their lower fertility rate - about 1.9 births per white woman, compared with 3.0 births per Hispanic woman - as well as a relatively low contribution to population growth from immigration" the report stated.

From 2000 to 2009, only 15% of growth in the immigrant population was attributable to whites, compared with 78% for Hispanics, Asians and other new minorities.

The report also said the aging white population contributes to a lower growth rate because proportionately, fewer white women are in their child-bearing years.

"The median age of whites is 41, compared to 27 for Hispanics, 35 for Asians, and a staggering 20 for the population of more than one race. As a further reflection of these age differences by race and ethnicity, just one-fifth of U.S. whites are under age 18, compared with one-third of all Hispanics."

The study also found that the decline in white children reduced the growth rate of the overall child population, from 13.7% in the 1990s to 2.6% in the 2000s. Though variation from state to state in child growth was considerable, on the whole, 46 states registered declines in their white child populations.

Not surprisingly, most of the states that experienced growth in populations of minority children are the ones where white children are in the minority: California, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Mississippi and Maryland.

Post by:
Filed under: Census
  1. camarillosam

Many Mexicans are of predominately European descent, light brown or blond hair, light skin, light eyes. Mexico was colonized by Spain and Spaniards do not have the classic Aztec/Indian gene. Sooooooo..when you say Mexican and then you say white it may be far more difficult to base it on physical appearance (or RACE!!!).

April 7, 2011 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Univisional

Only on Mexican TV shows honey. Sure there a few Lorena Herraras with blue eyes and fake blonde hair, however most Mexicans have medium brown skin and black hair.
      Typical American racist, you only value people if they look white. And most people, 96% of the world does not look white.
      Few people around the world have blonde hair or blue eyes. Most people have dark hair and dark eyes. India has over a billion people with dark features. China has over a billion people with dark hair and eyes.
      Soon all the world will have black hair and dark eyes. Even America. Think Jessica Alba in all her monochromatic brown glory.
      I know white racists like you try to comfort yourself with your delusional knowledge of what a Mexican (should) look like in your hollywood-media controlled mind, yet it isn't the reality.

April 7, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. TheBroker

Toya... Thats what welfare is for. Unfortunately a large percentage of people abuse it and give the rest a bad name.

April 7, 2011 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  3. Breed11

It's amazing how people defend and support people they have never even met, don't even know, just because they have the same skin tone, speak the same language, etc, while generalizing about people they don't share those characteristics with, but are their neighbors. Human beings are pretty dumb for 'intelligent' beings.

April 7, 2011 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  4. TheBroker

I will always live in a white neighborhood so, who cares.

April 7, 2011 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris Stanley

That's what you think! I am brown and looking specifically for the whitest neighborhood I can find. I am particularly interested in your daughters.

April 12, 2011 at 3:29 am | Report abuse |
  5. Dolly O.

Wonder if it's safe to enter once more in this arena. Reminded me of a young man (My brother) throwing oranges at a honeybee's nest as I tried to pass quiickly between the bees & my brothe they had gotten riled up & some entangled in my hair.. needless to say the outcome..my brother was stung..I for some reason was not. So here I am standing alone or perhaps NOT.. if you should lend an E.A.R. ¶ After posting my first comment I decided to look for the lyric of that song by John Lennon, "IMAGINE" Perhaps I'm just a DREAMER... but wouldn't it be nice if we joined as ONE... & settle differences in a civilized manner? PEACE ..... Y'all. GOD BLESS THE HUMAN RACE

April 7, 2011 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
  6. TheBroker

I believe its fair for a person to be disturbed when they see the perversion of the culture that generations of their family fought and died to create/preserve. No?

April 7, 2011 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Riqyboy

Many cultures have fought and died for this country not only "YOURS".

April 7, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • skipfrmdc

Yeah. My family has fought and died for that culture too even as they were actively excluding them. I doubt from your posts you would do the same. I didn't think about how blacks were viewed in this country when my a$$ was on the line and my dad and step dad and father in law recieved no special treatment for going overseas to war, yet they could not move to your all white neighborhood upon their return. It took an ACT OF CONGRESS to mandate that. The language in that act is not direcected specifically towards blacks or any other minority or white women. Get real!

April 18, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Pedro

My advice to Anglos is : Learn Spanish. Teach your children Spanish. Whether you love Hispanics or hate us, we will become the majority so it will help you to get prepared by learning our language.

April 7, 2011 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
    • lftryagain

Obviously someon who wants to be Mexican but lives in America. The border opens both ways babe!

April 8, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  8. Andreas Moser

Don't let the Ku Klux Klan hear this.

April 7, 2011 at 3:21 am | Report abuse |
  9. Eli

I'm feeling a minority scholarship coming on here!

April 7, 2011 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  10. TheBroker

Sandy and Pedro are both "ignorant". No white people are janitors? You have to be kidding me, right? I travel all over the country for work and I assure you, in places like IA, SD, ND, NE, MT, Etc. white people hold all kinds of jobs as janitors, housekeepers, nannyies, cooks, field workers, etc.. What Illegal aliens do is come here and drive down the wages for these positions to wages that will not sustain a family/rent/car payment, etc. so people in the areas where illegal aliens are prevalent can't live off the wages being offered for these positions. How would you "brown people" feel if you were discriminated against for jobs and refused scholarships/education because of your skin color? White people deal with it every day! I lived in the inner city for several years and have NEVER seen the amount of blatant racism rear it's ugly head in white communities towards minorities like I have in "minority" communities towards whites. The "white man" has the very same right to be proud of their race that you do and shouldn't be looked upon as racist because of it.

April 7, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  11. Verbalobe

Hey, look at the bright side, teabaggers! All these statistics are crap anyway! Remember during the 2010 Census, all those rich whites like Michele Bachmann saying they wouldn't fill out the census or turn it in? The morons who chased off the census takers with shotguns? All you people who are now (baselessly and racistly) complaining about how your rising [sic] taxes are only [sic] going to benefit illegals [sic]? There you are!! The whites didn't participate, so they were undercounted, so all your concerns are premature!

Or was all that census protest crap just typical empty noise from Fox News? Things that make you go hmmmmmmm...

And by they way: there are an AWFUL lot of people on here who have the magical power of being able to tell an "illegal" just from looking at them. And some of these are the same people who would have claimed they "couldn't tell a boy from a girl" back in the 70s. I am seriously impressed.

April 7, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  12. TheBroker

"Mexicans take jobs that white people won't do" is such BS. I travel the country for work and assure you that in places where there is little illegal alien population, all of these jobs are done by white people (Janitors, drivers, housekeepers, groundskeepers, cooks, etc.). Anyone saying that is either an idiot or has an agenda. I believe that Mexicans are generally very hard workers and if here legally, there i no problem. The problem is, Illegals come here and drive down the wages to below poverty level so American citizens (white, black, brown, yellow) will not take the job. Whether or not they will take the job is a matter of economis, not race.

April 7, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  13. TheBroker

"Mexicans take jobs that white people won't do" is such BS. I travel the country for work and assure you that in places where there is little illegal alien population, all of these jobs are done by white people (Janitors, drivers, housekeepers, groundskeepers, cooks, etc.), among other races. Anyone saying that is either an idiot or has an agenda. I believe that Mexicans are generally very hard workers and if here legally, there is no problem. The problem is, Illegals come here and drive down the wages to below poverty level so American citizens (white, black, brown, yellow) can't afford to take the job. Whether or not they will take the job is a matter of economics, not race.

April 7, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  14. doogle rathmore

Why is this news? Stop the stories about the racial makeup of the US. We're one country and we should focus on things that unite us, not divide us.

April 7, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  15. AffiliatedByNature

Better start learnin spanish PRONTO my fellow white friends, i know both spanish, and english, and currently learning another language. This is the only country that is naive enough to say ENGLISH should be the only language. I agree if you're here learn the native language, and if your smart learn Spanish, times are changing, adapt and go with the flow or be left behind... in a few more years, you will be required to speak a second language just to maintain the job you already have.....

April 7, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |