White children in the minority in 10 states
April 6th, 2011

White children in the minority in 10 states

White children are now in the minority among people under 18 in 10 U.S. states and 35 large metro areas, according to a Brookings analysis of 2010 Census data.

The number of white children in metro areas including Atlanta, Georgia; Dallas, Texas; Orlando, Florida; and Phoenix, Arizona, fell below that of other children in the last decade as the population of white children nationwide declined by 4.3 million, the report said.

The decline occurred as the number of children identified as "new minorities" - Hispanics, Asians and other racial groups apart from whites, blacks and American Indians - grew by 5.5 million, the report said.

Hispanics registered an increase of 4.8 million, which kept the nation's overall child population from declining, the report said. The findings reflect changes in the racial makeup of the overall U.S. population with Hispanics becoming the nation's largest and fastest growing minority group.

Hispanics now comprise 23% of children, up from 12% in 1990, while whites now comprise just 53% of youth, down from nearly 70%  in 1990.

The findings also underscore projections that the country will become "white minority" by 2042 as the race's median age keeps increasing. The child population stands to hit that mark in 2023.

"Slower growth among whites owes in part to their lower fertility rate - about 1.9 births per white woman, compared with 3.0 births per Hispanic woman - as well as a relatively low contribution to population growth from immigration" the report stated.

From 2000 to 2009, only 15% of growth in the immigrant population was attributable to whites, compared with 78% for Hispanics, Asians and other new minorities.

The report also said the aging white population contributes to a lower growth rate because proportionately, fewer white women are in their child-bearing years.

"The median age of whites is 41, compared to 27 for Hispanics, 35 for Asians, and a staggering 20 for the population of more than one race. As a further reflection of these age differences by race and ethnicity, just one-fifth of U.S. whites are under age 18, compared with one-third of all Hispanics."

The study also found that the decline in white children reduced the growth rate of the overall child population, from 13.7% in the 1990s to 2.6% in the 2000s. Though variation from state to state in child growth was considerable, on the whole, 46 states registered declines in their white child populations.

Not surprisingly, most of the states that experienced growth in populations of minority children are the ones where white children are in the minority: California, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Mississippi and Maryland.

Post by:
Filed under: Census
  1. I Love Katy Perry

Read "The Myth of the White Minority," by Jeff Jacoby from The Boston Globe. It puts this whole silly issue in context. Bottom line: Whites are not becomming a minority in America. The article explains everything. The rants of these white supremacists and brown suprmacists are truly hysterical as they are so stupid.

April 7, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tomo

Apartheid time!

April 7, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. MTATL67

Why is this even news worthy. If it has been so hunky-dory to be a minority? After all we are all Americans and some of us want to take care of all American's others will want to spread hate.

April 7, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. TheBroker

ToxicTown... Employers will expect from all employees what their lowest common denominator is willing to bear. "If you don't like it, we'll hire an illegal". Do you honestly think that's good for our country? Employers are able to pay very little and expect long hours because Jose and Jesus are willing to do it and live with their 15 family members in a studio apartment simply becuase, let's face it, it's better than where they came from. This drags down our quality of life as Americans and shouldn't be accepted. What do you do for a living? How would it affect your family if illegals were willing to do it for 25% of the pay and work 80 hrs a week without vacation or medical benefits? You'd be out of a job and your kids would starve. Julio would love to take your job under those conditions because it beats begging for change in Mazatlan. Don't be so naive.

April 7, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Megan

You know what I'm white and I am a minority at my school in San Diego, CA. The majority is asian decent. And it is not just at my school it is throughout the district. I think it's kinda funny to tell people I am a minorty when generally whites are associated as a majority.

April 7, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Brian

Welcome to hell.

April 7, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jokester

Yes, welcome. The rest of us have been dealing with it for centuries.

April 8, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dolly O.

Cautiously..Entering the arena..:). I stand alone or maybe NOT. As.. slowly make a 360 I find the individual with the screen name "Whites built America" .. 🙂 Don't know the gender of the person..'cause behind this technology people hide behide the screen & Write comments that at times ONE has to smile. So i'm answering to "WbA" I'm not going to get in a war of words with YOU; however as to your quesrtion I advice you Seek answers on your own or read the positive comments thereof; in this blog. ¶On another lighter note, i have to say..YOU made me laugh by calling me a "hippie".. LOL..& HAHAHA! Ok..Ok..(me still laughing).. enough!! As Bugs Bunny would say.. "Wad dai say..wad dai say?" Oh yes.. it's in the so many posts above. "IMAGINE" by John Lennon. .. "You may say that I'm a DREAMER but I'm not the only one.. I hope some day you'll join us & the world would live as ONE"

April 7, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. lance

thanks liberals !

April 7, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • skipfrmdc

You idiots thanking liberals better check out who opened this country to the mass influx of illegals in the first place.......Drum Roll Please......it's your God, Ronald Reagan. So you can have lawn care and nannies at a reduced price and the demise of "brown service" (ask yo' daddy). It never fails how you skin heads want to blame everybody but yourselves for your sorry state of affairs. Jews, Arabs, Blacks, Mexcians ect. I knew you were in trouble when whites started talking about Hispanics to me and the wife in the line at Walmart. Cluster f*****s!

April 18, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. lance

remember to thank a liberal for this great event !

April 7, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • skipfrmdc

See above and then contact your Dr. about fertility treatments.

April 18, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Baldheaded Foo

i'll be sure to do that, thanks. i also would like to thank all the liberated white women who are above having kids because they are too busy screwing minority dudes and getting ahead of the boys in their careers! i would suggest you take an early exit to europe, but THEY REALLY HATE YOU SPOILED AMERICAN GUYS TOO, darn.

May 7, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dolly O.

Hi.Y'LL Read the words to the song "Imagine"..by John Lennon.. Think of the paradise.. Lend an EAR.. listen with yor HEART. "Mankind have forgotten how to listen" I'm addressing to ALL (both sides) when I say that.. for so many are with negative comments. I understand the frustration of many in this hard times.. we are all in this togather. I am aware of the goings on in our country...ect. Now we unite here in a war of words. I wonder why WE are doing this .. WHEN IN REALITY WE DO HAVE A CHOICE.. VOTE. THAT IS THE CORRECT WAY. ASK OUR POLITICIANS TO ADDRESS THE PROBLEM. SOMETIMES "WE" will not like the answer.. IT IS WHAT IT IS. WHEW! THE WORLD IS GETTING CROWDED.. :). SO MANY SOULS ARE YET TO COME DOWN & PARTAKE of A BODY & so many are departing all at once..(must be busy in heaven by the pearly gates). I don't have all the answers.. Nor do I assume. For what is worth ..it would be nice while on this earth to get along..in PEACE. Take care..&.. GOD BLESS YOU. Simply PEACEMAKER

April 7, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jokester

It's interesting you mentioned that, because my son, who is BEAUTIFULLY MIXED, was born on John Lennon's birthday, and I am very proud of this. The pigs who keep posting about how threatened they are about America truly becoming a melting pot are getting exactly what they deserve.

April 8, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Vito Danelli

for what it's worth, one of the biggest mistakes of the 1965 Immigration Act was to abolish the National Origins quota.

Immigration was from predominately European countries (ie white Christians).

Here's what a Dead Kennedy said at the time:

"First, our cities will not be flooded with a million immigrants annually. Under the proposed bill, the present level of immigration remains substantially the same.... Secondly, the ethnic mix of this country will not be upset.... Contrary to the charges in some quarters, [the bill] will not inundate America with immigrants from any one country or area, or the most populated and deprived nations of Africa and Asia.... In the final analysis, the ethnic pattern of immigration under the proposed measure is not expected to change as sharply as the critics seem to think.... It will not cause American workers to lose their jobs."

April 7, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. TD7777

Wow, boatloads of human trash. Stand by Canada, they will be there soon.

April 7, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tom

White,Black and Native American only breed what they can feed

April 7, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Brad Adamakis

Not surprising that so many of the states in which whites are becoming a minority, used to be part of Mexico. The following states used to be part of Mexico: Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, California, Nevada, and Utah. 55% of Mexico was annexed by the U.S. as a result of the Mexican-American War. The population trend toward Latino is not at all surprising.

April 7, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mom of mixed kids

My husband and I are both US citizens, born in this country. I am white and he is of Hispanic ethnicity. There are many good Mexican people in this country, who have educated themselves and contribute to society, but in my experience it is the ones who assimilate. If you never had any exposure to Mexicans my husband's family would be the absolute worst first experience. They won't assimilate, they have multiple baby daddies, abuse welfare, and by that I mean they know exactly how to fill out an application for welfare to be approved, lying and laughing at their deed. The members of his family that do assimilate still have prejudices of their own against whites. They have white friends they expect to be totally comfortable stepping into the Mexican culture, but they themselves are not comfortable stepping into the white culture and won't attend "white" weddings, etc. Several people in his family have told me that white people are crazy. This from the side of the family that celebrates a fifteenth birthday for a girl as if it's a huge milestone in life, but has absolutley no respect for marriage, using it as an edge to help get more of thier extended family in Mexico papers to move to the U.S. Then they can get a divorce and the person is already here, with legal papers. Yes, it's in the process right now. Furthermore, in South Texas I had the experince of a store clerk in Victoria's Secret speaking to me in Spanish. When I indicated I didn't speak Spanish, she had to go get another clerk who could speak English to help me. UNBELIEVABLE! My husband was without a job for a long time before getting hired by the company he now works for. He was told to wait for a position to open up which would inevitably happen because the closer the company moved to the border, the more the illegals were scared they would get caught by immigration, and some of them would quit! And people whine that the Americans won't do the jobs the illegals do? Face it, there are valid reasons people are fed up with illegal immigration, but our leaders won't wake up and listen. People who complain are just labeled prejudiced, without the other side even listening and trying to be part of the solution.

April 7, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |