10 things that could ruin your day if the government shuts down
That family trip to the Grand Canyon could be in jeopardy if Congress and the White House fail to reach a budget agreement.
April 7th, 2011

10 things that could ruin your day if the government shuts down

The list of collateral effects of a potential government shutdown keeps growing and people are none too pleased about it. Here are just a few of the negative impacts that could arise if Congress and the White House fail to reach an agreement on the budget (click here to view in chart form):

• The lawmakers who hold the cards will still get paid. Their staffers might be furloughed, though. That has prompted a few lawmakers to announce they'll refuse shutdown pay,but even that has elicited critiques of political posturing.
  • Roughly 800,000 federal workers won't get paid because they're considered nonessential and therefore, the first to be furloughed. That includes people who work in national parks because they'll be closed, ruining countless long family road trips. And it's not just the loss of income that hurts - for many, it's being labeled dispensable when they know their jobs are anything but nonessential.

• As the shutdown looms, some political leaders are taking the opportunity to fundraise and rally their supporters. The executive director of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee sent out an appeal asking for a minimum $5 donation saying the organization wants to raise $100,000 in the next 36 hours.
  • You'll still get your Social Security checks but don't expect anyone to be around to answer your questions about benefits. The people who take questions on Social Security and Medicare questions will not be at work and most government websites will shut down or have limited functionality.
  • Various agencies with the Department of Health and Human Services will operate in a patchwork fashion. The National Institutes of Health will not accept new patients or start new clinical trials. The Food and Drug Administration won't operate at full capacity but will have some inspectors on staff. As a result, all FDA inspections of food processing facilities and drug manufacturing plants will be prioritized by risk.
  • Word is getting around that a government shutdown doesn't actually save taxpayers money. For one, it will cost the government money to ensure a smooth transition to a shutdown. Then there's the lost revenue from a variety of sources, from government services to gift shops in government-run attractions such as Yosemite National Park and DC's National Gallery of Art.

How would a government shutdown anger you?

Post by:
Filed under: Budget
soundoff (2,555 Responses)
  1. embarassed American

This government is a JOKE, you think any of them care about the whole country, please...all they care about is whether or not there is money in the bank, and Donald Trump-I dont care about the fact that the guy won't admit he has a combover...what I care about is the fact that it is much more important for him to finish his stupid TV show season before running for office, and also his wasting dollars making sure the president was born in Hawaii !!! It has already been proven, get over it. If the wealthiest one percent of the population would even think about how much a 2 percent increase in taxes would help the government debt (Which Bush Created with the War on terrorism) then we wouldnt be in this mess. The last thing we need is Donald Trump managing the government- this would just let the barn doors open for the wealthy.

April 8, 2011 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Lbb

Clearly, you are not educated on the requirements to run for office. Also, a newspaper announcement of birth is not proof.

April 8, 2011 at 4:52 am | Report abuse |
  2. Furloughed Worker

I find it interesting that the article only references anti-republican items. I am tired of the lack of cooperation with Obama, Republicans and Democrats. Now if only the media would get to the middle and see how all of them lack a committment to real change. I wanted change in the last election. I have received status quo. Thanks Obama.

April 8, 2011 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. fenton

6 figures a year for them, 12,000 a year for some 19 year old kid fighting and dying for his country and you cant pay him? seriously america, we suck this much?

April 8, 2011 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Just a man with a thought

Fenton- Yes it does suck. But think about this. What would happen if instead of $19k that person made $60k? The question to the American soldier is "what is your life worth?" I've never served and would love to hear the opinion from soldiers, but my friends who have served did for a few reasons. One is the desire to serve their country. No amount of money can pay for this. It is in my belief the true american hero who does this. The others are free education or financial reasons. At this point you have to ask, "what is it worth to risk my life?" I would hope that anyone out there, especially if they have a family would turn to finding a safer job or continued education as opposed to military in this case. For those who are in the military for financial reasons then complain that they don't get paid well, while I appreciate their service, it is hard to listen to them complain.

April 8, 2011 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Marine vet and spouse

Just a man- You know every Military Personal has their own reason for joining in the fight. I as a vet and an active duty spouse joined for many reasons. First, I do remember 9/11. it scared me S****less. I was just a freshman in high school. I did not want my niece to have to deal with a war when she got old enough to decide on her life. My cousin was the first Marine in my family and I looked up to him. I wanted to feel the pride he had in himself. I wasn't the most popular girl in school. And to add to it I thought about the benefits of using the Military for school. I learned a lot in the Marines from On the Job Training. Now if i wanted to settle i could go work for any Supply company making 3 to 4 times what I did in the Marines. But I don't settle i want more for me and my family. I expect more from my girls as they grow and learn. This away they can't say I didn't go to College.

April 8, 2011 at 3:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Just a man with a thought

Marine vet and Spouse- It sounds like you're primarily doing it for the right reason. I wish you the best and hope your kids look up to you the way you looked up to your cousin.

April 8, 2011 at 4:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. fedupwithitall

2012...bring it on

April 8, 2011 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
    • fedupwithitall

Time for Ron Paul I say....he seems to be the only real politician capable of telling the truth

April 8, 2011 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
    • bulent

do we still have to freaking pay tax?if they r shut down they dont deserve any off my pennies anymore

April 8, 2011 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |
  5. The Real Essential Man

I'm moving to Washington DC when I get out of the Military and will live in a tent across the street from the "Essential Man". If I need food I will walk into his house and take it. If i need a vehicle, i will take his. If I need to call someone again I will use his. He shouldn't mind of course because by this time I will have disarmed him off everything, Arms, privacy, humility and freedom to fight back this way you will know what its like to be in the Military.

Forget the tent......I'm moving in !! see ya in 9 months.

April 8, 2011 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  6. mike

and for the dems budget,,why are they wanting to cut a trillion dollars out of medicaide and medicare,,robbing from the poor and elderly again,,what are they too easy of targets??lets get something straight here,,from state govenors and state reps,,all the way to the white house dont care about it period,,why,,fact#,when they leave office,they keep thier same pay and benifits,yes they dont have to rely on social securty,as the rest of us do or will do,they keep all the pay and benifits till they die,so why care about the rest of us,,yes they nickname for this is called the(golden fleece plan)wich they only voted on(many years ago)so no one knew about it,and this is all paid for by whats called,,general fund..i.e youre social security taxs,,but this can be reversed,,they of course wont publisize it,,but it can be done,,so dont ya wonder,,how things will change if they had to rely on social security and medicaid and medicare like everyone else..fight back,,couse they will tear you down,,till you do,,look this up,,its there,,see for youreself..then thank youre congressman for the screwing

April 8, 2011 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
    • ladybug

REPUBLICANS SUCK, GET OVER IT

April 8, 2011 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Right on....the pyramid schemes our govt runs make Bernie Madoff look like Mickey Mouse

April 8, 2011 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  7. Terry W. Brookman

Read up on the fall of Rome and you get a small picture of what is going on in America today. The greed corruption and perversion is bringing us down. Do the math, the minimum pay without benefits for a government worker is $32,000.00 and they employ thousands at much more than that. How many taxable jobs do we need to meet their payroll? That is just their payroll, how many other projects and wars can we afford?

April 8, 2011 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Travis Hulbert

See it is people like you that add fuel to the fire. If you are going to post a comment, make sure you are posting FACTUAL information. The minimum pay for a government employee is actually in the neighborhood of 17,800. Here is the link to the office of personel management website that list the government (GS) pay scale for 2011, which by the way, will be the same pay scale for the next 2 years. I am sick of people trying to blame government employees for CONGRESS'S inability to function. It isn't the federal employee's fault that elected officials have their own political agenda and could give two sh!ts about its citizens.

April 8, 2011 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
  8. John

I'm just going to keep eating Burger King

April 8, 2011 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  9. Angie

All I have to say Mike is that I'm glad educators aren't a part of the shutdown because you are definitely in need of some tutoring. Try typing your opinion in Microsoft Word first so it can do spell/grammar check for you; then copy & paste your post.

April 8, 2011 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  10. KatelinIrene

what about student loans?

April 8, 2011 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  11. Just a man with a thought

One other point I forgot. Aren't most of the posts here just an example of what is wrong? I find it amusing that people complain that government is broken while most are looking to put blame on the other party (both dems and republicans do this) and don't focus on a solution. themselves Look back and see how many posts are blaming democrats or republicans or saying "get them all out" instead of finding solutions. If we spent as much time and energy developing solutions as we do blaming everyone else do you know what might happen? We might actually find a soution that works!

April 8, 2011 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Rob from Rochester

Dear Lord this is the most sensible thing I've read in these comments. Did both the Democratic and Republican Parties screw up? Yeah, they did, but eventually at a certain point raging is basically going to get nothing and you have to work with that guy you really don't like that much because you need to get something done. We can sort out "blame" and "fault" later, we should just focus on viable solutions to a problem and come together like Americans.

April 8, 2011 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  12. IronRider

You have no one to blame but yourselves for electing and re-electing them to office. Read my text – STOP VOTING for people who have made a career out of government. Obviously they are unfit to govern.

April 8, 2011 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
  13. John

Who cares if they shut down, that's what the soup kitchen is for, just go there for a nutritious meal

April 8, 2011 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  14. Rebecca

Oh, I have an idea for wives of the military: Get a job. I see many military wives who depend on checks when really they could make themselves useful by being a productive member of society and work. I mean, really, there has been no use for any soldiers since WWII. Wars fought since then have been because of ideological differences. Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, and mostly Afghanistan have been no real threat to our freedom. If we stopped sticking our noses in other countries' business, maybe they wouldn't want to attack us. It's no big secret America superimposes their beliefs and corporate hand on pretty much every country. Oh, and cutting spending for education is a smart idea. This country is getting dumber as I type this. And for Planned Parenthood? Okay, we'll just have babies in dumpsters instead and women dying of coat-hanger infections. Seriously. We need to get our priorities straight.

April 8, 2011 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Angie

Are you serious? You do know the military does more than just protect right? They also serve. Whenever there is a national disaster the National Guard, etc. are always sent to help. Maybe you should have said we don't need so many...?

April 8, 2011 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Marine vet and spouse

You have lost your mind. Not only is a lot of spouses employed, but most of us have kids. For me to go to work full time, be a full time college student, and still put my two children in day care would cost me more than my pay check. And that is working 40+ hours a week and going to school. Rebecca, I see you have no common sense about the Military life. When you decide to become a spouse of a military personal you give up your dreams to help your spouse achieve theirs. You may have to put school on the back burner, or try your hardest to fight for a job you are qualified for. But that doesn't always mean much. If you want to either pay for my childrens' daycare or come watch them for me then i will get a job. We Do NOT have the Luxury of having our Families around who will watch them for free. I am in Arizona and our Families live in Texas. You figure that one out for me.

April 8, 2011 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
    • The Truth

She is right. Even though there are many hard working military spouses, many and I do mean many spouses are using their spouses for nothing more than sugar daddies. In my 11 years in the Navy I seen this first hand and had to deal with my Sailors issues with these types of spouses. In Norfolk there are women who pass down the tricks of the trade with their daughters to hook up with a Sailor as their cash cow. Its very sad and you can spot them very easy, which makes it even more sad because the Sailor should have seen it coming. My biggest memory of this type is a woman who called herself pumpkin coming aboard my ship and demanding "her" money. Not his hard earned money, her money.

April 8, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jaysea

Cathy...Donald Trump??? Are u kidding? He couldn't even run a casino without going into Chapter 11 numerous times. He has work done & doesn't pay up!! Ask the carpenters, masons, tile guys etc. (I know these people) U don't have a clue to what ur saying. He "inherited" most of his early $$ & made some lucky investments. Please, don't degrade yourself with such mindless comments!!

April 8, 2011 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82