Big surprise for hard-luck couple
David Loomis of Columbus, Ohio, was gobsmacked by his stroke of luck.
April 7th, 2011

Big surprise for hard-luck couple

Just when things look hopeless, sometimes an unexpected breakthrough happens.

Just ask David and Beth Loomis of Columbus, Ohio.

David Loomis lost his job last year, and his unemployment benefits were about to expire. But while Beth Loomis was walking their dog Tuesday morning, she found a dollar and thought, "I guess this might be our lucky day," she told CNN affiliate WBNS.

Boy howdy.

Ohio Lottery officials had invited the couple to come to lottery headquarters to pick up a hat and cup consolation prize from a 2010 drawing.

What they didn't tell the Loomises was that there also was a $150,000 check waiting for them from a lottery ticket David Loomis had bought last year.

When the surprise check was presented, David Loomis gaped at his wife, then spun his chair halfway around, speechless. Then both husband and wife wept.

They plan to use the money to pay off bills and perhaps make a down payment on a house, Beth Loomis told WBNS.

Post by:
Filed under: Economy • Jobs • Lotto • Ohio
  1. MLZ

People are questioning his buying a house... he's in OHIO and he wants a HOUSE, not a mansion. Given the current economy, there are plenty of small pieces of property in that area of the country that's in his price range.

April 7, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

It didn't say, "pay cash". It said "down payment". With 0 income, the math is simple. Stupid is as stupid does.

April 7, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. blogging?

Hi guest, sure feels good to say it out loud; I'm gay, and I love you all, you were right guest thank you, love n kisses

April 7, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. blogging?

the sick people are at it again. that is not me above, someone is playing sick, demented games. i've reported this person(s) and will continue to. from what happened yesterday, i am confident that the main person behind this is the one who has posted frequently in the past as "The Devil", "Satan" and "Lucifer" – how fitting. i am going to do everything in my power, professionally and legally, to get this individual stopped. i am very sick about this and also very angry. the wheels are in motion. this person has threatened me on other threads. death threats. he/she will be stopped.

no more cnn for me. any other comments you read with my screen name are NOT me. sick, evil individual.....

April 7, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ole lady

There are sic peeps out there and get their jollies riding on others. Why can't the bloggers stick to the article at hand. This article is actually good news about a couple who were in hard times like most of us and lady luck shined down on them.

April 7, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. heyheyitsme

What a wonderful surprise but I gotta say if I was having trouble paying my bills the last thing I would do if I found a dollar is waste in something like the lotto.

April 7, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joey

I don't understand why I have been blocked or dropped by people I've only known a few days.
    I have some strong opinions I've expressed, and so do others here. I don't know that we all have to think the same way about every issue.
    Obviously somebody here has made trouble by playing games that were too dirty.
    I DID NOT DO IT.
    Please don't confuse me with that person.
    I've had a lot of fun here.
    If you all disagree with some of my views and don't want me around, that's one thing.
    If you think I tried to do dirty things to you, I did not.

April 7, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

It's a blog don't take it seriously or personally: I've been censored, ignored, heckled, lol at, cussed and cursed at by the bubble thoughts of others...cnn's are blocked...think of it like a comic strip whose bubbles have name handles...I do get bored sometimes though...but l laugh alot at the craziness...so cheer up Joe–eeee!

April 7, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. veronica

Joey shut up and kiss me.

April 7, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey

Thanx veronica and hmmm. I've been away just now of phone calls. U both made me feel better.

April 7, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joey

Thank you both, veronica and Hmmm.
    My previous reply of thanks was censored.

April 7, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey

Can I get anything through?

April 7, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joey

I wouldn't buy a house without a job, either.

April 7, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Patty

U guys R nuts. Its their money! Leave them alone and find something else to do with your time. Like volunteer at the humane society on weekends like I do. Who knows U may be walking a dog and find money or some other good thing.

Get a life!!!!!

April 7, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lefty

What a refreshing story, a family that really needed the money actually won the lottery. Congratulations and best wishes to David and Beth Loomis for receiving their $150K lottery payout just when they needed it most. Beth told the CNN reporter they plan to pay off bills "and perhaps" put a downpayment on a house. It was their 'found' dollar, and it's their winnings – they can and should do whatever they want with the money.

April 7, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Teacher Brian

It is good to hear about good things happening to people sometimes. Thank you for posting this article.

April 7, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. zenora cruze

I hope you win more money! spend it the way ya wanna can't take it witcha! it's nothing to save!..

April 8, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |