Friday's intriguing people
Japanese pro golfer Ryo Ishikawa promises to donate all his Tour earnings this year.
April 8th, 2011

Friday's intriguing people

Ryo Ishikawa

The 19-year-old native of Japan says he will donate all the money he wins on the PGA Tour this year, including this weekend's Masters, to his earthquake- and tsunami-ravaged homeland.

Ishikawa, who shot a 1-under-par 71 in the first round of the Masters, won $2 million last year, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer. He said he hopes to inspire his country by playing well.

"I understand that people, especially in Sendai, they are living in hell, and I would love to show the energy and power of what golf can bring to those people."

Ron Thatcher

The "non-essential" government worker is one of 800,000 who will not get paid if the government shuts down. The Montana resident works for the U.S. Forest Service and doesn't consider the work he does "non-essential," since some of the work he does includes protecting the U.S.-Canadian border. Thatcher tells CNNMoney.com, "I've worked with the Forest Service over 30 years and I'm damn proud to be a Forest Service employee."

Sandy Almon

The baseball player at Mount Pisgah, a small private school in Johns Creek, Georgia, is turning heads as a relief pitcher with a reported 85-mph fastball.

But it's not the fastball that has people talking. It's the fact that Sandy is a girl, one of just a few across the country playing high school baseball.

"I've seen and coached with a lot of boy pitchers the same age, and she has got just as much or more talent than half of them," Joey Hamilton, a former major-league pitcher and one of Sandy's private coaches, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

"I love baseball; it's my favorite sport and always has been," Almon told the paper. "I don't know how to explain it other to say that baseball just comes natural to me. Other sports, like basketball, are work. Baseball is not that way."

Casey Robbins

The Sacramento, California, high school senior has achieved an honor few of her peers can match: A school in Liberia has been named for her.

Robbins founded Textbooks for Liberia when she was in eighth grade. The organization has sent more than 10,000 books to the West African nation, CNN affiliate KXTV reports.

In gratitude for her work, officials named a new school in Monrovia, the Liberian capital, for her.

"The school is taking enrollment now and it should be starting in the fall. It's the Casey Robbins International School," said Robbins, who visited the site in February. "It's definitely a cool thing for me. I got to have a picture with the sign for my school."

Robbins said she plans to continue and possibly expand the program while attending Stanford University after graduation.

1. Lucifer

@blogging... Don't dare post your stupid comments here, Satan reported you to CNN monitors, you are being censored and you are going to Hell, will wait for you down here.

April 8, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lucifer

Just kidding blogging, take it easy and be nice, as I promised, won't go after you.

April 8, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. guest

@ lucifer...you've just been reported again you idiot.

April 8, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Abeesh

Chandra Posted on Love it! Glad I had a chance to run with you the other day! Helped me to get back on track while I was up there! Know that you keep me iernispd!

April 22, 2012 at 3:17 am | Report abuse |
  4. Lucifer

@guest... Idiot is your father, you stupid ass

April 8, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Arnie

I'm not easily impressed. . . but that's ipmrseinsg me! 🙂

May 1, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • hawprqjt

A1l2bo jnzagjupeaxl

May 4, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joey

Oy.

April 8, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. vero69

awesome RYO! May God see your sacrifice and Bless you and your people and your homeland. im sure there are many of us Praying for all of you 🙂

April 9, 2011 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  7. Six Six Six

Satan says: ha ha ha ha.. All of you people are stupid sheep and will soon be destroyed in the battle of armeggedon .... You r all fools who know nothing ...... So keep telling yourselves that you r going to live in heaven with god and jesus when u die!!.... As if god will reward u for your wicked selfserving lives .... Jesus said "go take everything u have sell it and give to the poor and come follow me , and your treasure will b in heaven" you people dont even care about the poor ..... But when u die you r going to live in heaven...!!!!...... "YA...RIGHT" i cant wait till u all find out you,ve been decieved-misled......

April 10, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  8. Six Six Six

Satan says: there is only one true religion started by Jesus ... But you people r 2 stupid to find which one has the truth... Ha ha ha ha!! The bible says after armeggedon u will all be reduced to a pile of BONES... Cause u were not part of the great crowd spoken of in the book of revelation (the chosen ones – survivors of armeggedon) I cant wait till u are all dead with your leaders(politicians) and the wicked global Super-Elite, which you all will die at hand of the one seated upon the White Horse – who is Christ Jesus in his heavenly glory..!!

April 10, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  9. 6 6 6

Satan says: just a little longer and all of u earthling people will be stripped naked of all your worldy possessions !! Just before u and your familys are destoyed !! by the one seated upon the white horse ..... All of you know deep down inside your lives and your conduct condem and prove you to b evil people without Love of GOD and without love for oneanother in your hearts...... i got u all right where i want you!!! Stupid sheep !! U r all my servents and you dont even know it ...!!! ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ha!!!!

April 10, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |