Democrats, Republicans agree on a budget deal
House Speaker John Boehner announces agreement on a budget deal.
April 9th, 2011

Democrats, Republicans agree on a budget deal

The Senate has passed a short-term budget deal that will keep the government funded through next Thursday. The measure was later approved by the House of Representatives.

"We have agreed to an historic amount of cuts for the remainder of this fiscal year, as well as a short-term bridge that will give us time to avoid a shutdown while we get that agreement through both houses and to the President. We will cut $78.5 billion below the President’s 2011 budget proposal, and we have reached an agreement on the policy riders. In the meantime, we will pass a short-term resolution to keep the government running through Thursday. That short-term bridge will cut the first $2 billion of the total savings," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and House Speaker John Boehner said in a joint statement issued after the agreement.

President Obama commended Democrats and Republicans on working together to reach a solution.

"The government will be open for business," Obama said. "That's because today, Americans of different beliefs came together again.

"In the final hours before our government would have been forced to shut down, leaders in both parties reached an agreement that will allow our small businesses to get the loans they need, our families to get the mortgages they applied for, and hundreds of thousands of Americans to show up at work and take home their paychecks on time."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Budget
  1. theresamarie spermazota

40 grand car, no. Unfortunately 4.00 a gl gas yes, 0bama, Bieden, Clinton, Reid, Pelosi and the rest of their drama queens should think 2x before they make some of their comparissions. Once again it showr their ignorance. But they do that by just opening their mouth.

April 10, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  2. Tony the Prophet

Since ancient times humans have experiment with the ability to dominate and syndicate others though psychology and subordination, then basic weaponry forming armies to either defend or defeat to fulfill quests, now with extremely sophisticated weapons of mass destruction with the same role in mind. Here and now we are faced with the dilemma of race, religion, and equality, there will never be peace in the world, and religions will always divide equality. To answer humanity concerns, is to decide their faith, and their faith is upon them like a heavy burden. Only the coming of Armageddon will settle this dispute till every living thing turns to dust. The earth is doomed to become like any other planet in our solar system, still for eternity.

April 10, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dim Mak

@Scottish: What is "fair"? I'm in school busting my hump for $9 an hour and going for 2 degrees. If I am fortunate enough to make a very good living after years of suffering, sacrifice and an aching body, then how should I feel about everyone else wanting to take what I worked so hard to get? Flat out there are people who contribute nothing yet expect uncle sam to take care of them. I'm not on the side of corporate america by any means, but congress can eliminate outsourcing and bring back middle class jobs, but neither party will. I don't buy the lies from either party. If you don't think the Dems want to eliminate the middle class then you are na√Įve. The Dems (Pro union party) should have addressed the reason for all the unemployment and they didn't. They want poor people needing them for handouts and the repubs want poor people to fill up minimum wage jobs. I still think there are many hard working people who have a right to not want their fruits to be divvied up among those who don't do anything. Social programs in this country should have time limits and requirements like unemployment. If you're not in school or at least trying to work then you shouldn't get free money. Only the elderly and handicapped should be shown compassion.

April 10, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

@Dim Mak-First I would like to congratulate you on going to school and earning 2 degees. Although you do not say what your degree is in. At the moment the 21/2 parties that we do have are just that, what we have. While we are in this job funct I think welfare can be given out. I have looked at our statistics in out state and it is ridiculious on the amount we spend welfare. We need to get people back to work and off welfare, I agree. I do not care if it is Dems or Republicans. With that said the Republicans do not want to tax the wealthiest but want to take the poorest health care needs and tax them. The logical would be to tax the richest who by tax loopholes and the reason the rich vote republicans that I know of is the dems want to tax them in our state. You may be correct about choice in government or a good choice of an alternative at this time. But one extreme Tea Party is not the answer either. Unions may not be the answer but to abolish them only hurts the worker and further pushes the table to corporate america who cannot be left to give our rights as workers.Maybe the corprate america is holding out on giving jobs till republicans get into office. It seems they all play the middle class. It is up to the middle class to take action and make a stand on rights, and economy by buying power, that is the only leverage we have. To do this may be take a leader not afraid to go up against the statis quo, maybe a person like you? Maybe your degrees and mind would better serve your country in office, than your intended career. Maybe my coffee party could wake everyone up.

April 11, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  4. MichaelEdits

Do you know how much deficit spending I do every year. ZERO DOLLARS. What is the problem?

April 11, 2011 at 4:42 am | Report abuse |
  5. Scottish Mama

Haggis will be the food of champions.

April 11, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  6. Dim Mak

@Sottish: Coffee = gross. Paying for your health care is tax exempt and pretty soon you will be getting that money back. All I know is I'm tired of class warfare and being stuck between two extremes. Never had haggis and never want to.

April 11, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

@Dim Mak= I was just putting forth an idea of a middle of the road party as the coffee party. How do we demand more, I believe that is what stops us from being united as a country besides religion. I know there are rich dems but when I say the rich should pay their fair share I don't care which party they are from. When they get all the tax breaks and some of these wealthy pay none – 0-nadda they should not be able to skip paying. I do not get to skip the responsibility of paying why should the wealthy. I work very hard and have all my life. I will till I die because I am from a family of workers who take pride in every endeavor we take on.
      What is yur recommendation or remedy to our ailing economy and country. 500 works or less.LOL

April 11, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dim Mak

@Scottish: You don't really believe there aren't rich Democrats do you? Lol Wake up. They are all putting on an act for everybody. Dems had control recently and they didn't do squat other than bribe votes for health care reform and people wonder why there's a budget crisis. I know what to expect from the Repubs and Dems. Nothing will change until people demand more. All I know is that I'm not going to have any sympathy for anyone who doesn't work hard yet they want the American dream handed to them.

April 11, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

We have to get innovative and start to produce products of quality. The people at the top will have to take less and pay a working wage and not strangle the employee with minimum wage, you cannot live on minimum wage.
      As far as the Americn dream it only exits with the wealthy. the only dream regular americans can have is to maybe have a home, send their kids to college, retire, take a couple of trips, and be able to stay healthy. The american dream is what they have told it should be, not the reallity of beating yourself to death before you get to retirement.
      To get people off of assistance you have to know the economy of the state, have jobs that the people on welfare can excell at, training and a job they can make a living wage and live. Most of the time it is worth their whlie to live on welfare than to have a job. Maybe the way to go is integrating welfare, employment, and training. But in an economy where blue collar are taking on McDonalds part time, the work chain is broken and more on welfare. I think the jobs and hopes of Obama job making was energy and they are fighting him on clean air right now.

April 11, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tyrone

CREDIBILITY OF REPUBLICAN IS NONE

The Republican Party seem to be hypocrite and pure liars! They have create talking points that they repeat over and over! They always say‚ÄĚ the American people are saying this and that! They talk about being fiscal responsible! When they are responsible for 13 trillion of the 14.5 trillion dollar debt! They have the nerve to attack President Obama and demonize his effort to clean up their mess! The Republican started the war in Iraq for NOTHING! NOT PAID FOR!Then the Afghanistan war NOT PAID FOR! American men and women of the United State military. Lost their lives for nothing! Base on the horrible decision of the Republican President Bush! If the Republicans had join President Obama efforts to bring the troops home from Iraq! Immediately after President Obama took office! That would had gave them credibility! At lease it would had shown their respect for what the world now knows was a mistake! THEY MADE!!! Instead they criticize President‚Äôs stimulus package‚Ķ! They call Obama a socialist and refer to the Healthcare Reform plan as Obamacare!

April 11, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

@ Tyrone- I do have to support your claims to a misguided war. It was Joseph Wilson who was fighting Former President Bush and telling him he was making a mistake and not to go to war b/c there was not any proof of Weapons of mass destuction. Then the Bush white house Cheney, Libby, and Carl Rove outed his wife CIA agent Valerie Plame. What a coincidence? nope. Bush and Cheney dedided to go to war on the intelligence of a iraqi man fleeing to Germany asking for asylum. Hint:when going to war trust your intelligence more.

April 11, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

@ Tyrone the stimulus was the republican remedy before Bush left office. The republicans only disagreed when the Dems used it when they took office. Isn't it amazing to watch. YOU have to think to yourself, do people really look at politics and believe the crappola that dribbles from their lips.

April 11, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dim Mak

@Tyrone: Get your slanted facts straight. Bush and the Repubs contributed $800 billion to the debt. The rest is all Obama and both parties in congress. Where are you getting your facts? To me socialism is taking from working people against their will their hard earned money and paying for a deadbeat dad's baby collection. If Obama wanted to take care of working Americans by giving them health care then you'd probably see less friction to such proposals. I'm an independent by the way, so don't call me and dirty partisan names.

April 11, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

@Dim Mak I think your number are off and I know I maybe also. (and I know someone with better numbers will come by with the exact tallies)I believe the wars costed Bush 5 1/2 trilliion and the other stuff he came up to around 7-8 trillion, then he could not keep it a secret anymore in august (that he knew in may at least) that the whole banking system was in the crapper and did the $800 billion bandaid and then the Dems got in and found out that everything and every hope of doing something with energy, decreasing oil usage was on the back burner and stopping the worst depression since the depression was pretty much going to take 4 years, President Obama spent from the 7-8 trillion to the now 14 trillion. Now Banasy, Joey, Mmmmm, Jazz, Lucifer, L64 or some of the crew will come by and clean up my figures,

April 11, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lurker

Hey, Dim Mak, how come u get mad when sombody calls u by only 1 name, but u can do it to Scottish Mama?

April 11, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

@Lurker you sweet person, they do tend to call me the D word. But even an independent has to choose from 2 1/2 parties. I throw in the Coffee Party as a more middle of the road to the D and R's. I ams what I ams.
      @Dim Mak At least I vote locally and nationally. Who did you vote for? Ron Paul?

April 11, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. WeNeedToAwaken

What a farce!! The problem with politics are the politicians who would sell their 1st born for influence and power. All those $$$ cut out of low income serving programs, granted I know some abuse the systems but there's a vast majority that still need them. Just try to find the real unemployment number that are never mentioned on CNBC to serve Wall St. Record under and unemployed, many who have given up, others who are of the unemployment rolls so are no longer counted. Despite all this....not a single $$ was taken out of Defense....if such a department is appropriately named since it seems more offensive than the latter. We spend more on this than the next few countries below the US combined. For what? to keep "the empire" feel around the world. Haven't heard of a nation controllong that much land since the days of Alexander the Great. We're not liked in Iraq or Afghanistan and we seem to keep making up withdrawl time tables yet the register keeps ringing in more purchases. The kicker is that if the gov't had shut down these rats would still get paid while the rest, including the soldiers would not (yeah sure retroactively). How many of us had a landlord, banker or other person we needed to pay on a specific date tells us they would accept our payments retroactively! So don't buy into the notion that its the President, the Dems, the Reps is the specific problem because changing the make up of the houses our the white house will not change the underlying factor that each of those people made promises that are not identical to everyone else's and if they wish to stay in power or gain a seat...these promises will always be a crossed purposes and our government will always get high jacked by people who engage in more immature rhetoric than a toddler. So don't vote republican or democrat but vote them out with a vote of NO CONFIDENCE in a ballot. We need to send a message to these people that they work for us and if they won't or can't do the job....FIRE THEM!!

April 12, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Scottish Mama

I thought only canada or the brits could vote no confidence?

April 13, 2011 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |