Severe weather spawns tornadoes
A 6-year-old died when a tree fell on his home as storms rolled through Bald Knob, Arkansas, on Thursday.
April 15th, 2011

Severe weather spawns tornadoes

[10:25 p.m. ET, 9:25 CT] Mississippi Lt. Gov. Phil Bryant has ordered a state of emergency in 14 counties from Friday's storms. The city of Clinton suffered "extensive damage" when a tornado touched down earlier Friday, according to Mississippi's Emergency Management Agency. In Jackson, numerous power poles were snapped along one storm's path, leaving more than 23,400 customers without power, utility company Entergy Mississippi said.

[10:14 p.m. ET, 9:14 CT] Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin has declared a state of emergency for 26 counties following severe weather. Storms killed two people in the town of Tushka, where authorities say a tornado touched down Thursday night.

[9:47 p.m. ET, 8:47 CT] Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley has declared a state of emergency for all counties as a result of severe weather. Tornadoes were reported Friday near Livingston, near Melvin, and near Linden.

[8:11 p.m. ET] A tornado warning has been issued by the National Weather Service for northwest metro Atlanta. Affected areas include eastern Cobb County, northern Dekalb County and northeastern Fulton County.

[5:55 p.m. ET] A tornado watch has been issued by the National Weather Service for western and norther Georgia, including the metro Atlanta area, until 12 a.m. Saturday.  Hail up to 2 inches in diameter and wind gusts up to 70 mph are possible, forecasters say.

[4:55 p.m. ET, 3:55 p.m. CT] A tornado was reported on the ground in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, near McFarland Mall at 3:44, the National Weather Service said.

[2:55 p.m. ET, 1:55 p.m. CT] The city of Clinton, Mississippi, suffered "extensive damage" from a tornado that struck Friday, the state Emergency Management Agency said.

[2:48 p.m. ET, 1:48 p.m. CT] A tornado emergency has been issued for towns of Geiger, Panola, New West Green, and Pleasant Ridge in Alabama. At 1:34 pm CDT, storm spotters were tracking a large and extremely dangerous tornado that was mile wide, the National Weather Service said. The tornado was located 23 miles northwest of Livingston moving east at 45 mph.

[1:24 p.m. ET, 12:24 p.m. CT] A tornado has touched down southeast of Linden, Alabama, the National Weather Service said. Tornadoes have also been reported in Melvin, Alabama, and in or near the cities of Loper, Madden, Mt. Sterling, Ludlow, Clinton and Jackson in Mississippi, according to authorities.

[12:49 p.m. ET, 11:49 a.m. CT] A tornado touched down near State Line, Mississippi, at 11:45 am CDT on Friday morning. The tornado was reported by emergency management officials, the National Weather Service said. There are no reports of injuries or damage at this time.

[12:44 p.m. ET, 11:44 a.m. CT] A 34-year-old woman and a 7-year-old child have been discovered dead inside a Little Rock, Arkansas, home after being struck by a falling tree during severe storms Thursday, the state Department of Emergency Management confirmed. The deaths bring to nine the number of people killed by storms in Arkansas and Oklahoma Thursday.

[12:37 p.m. ET, 11:37 a.m. ET] A tornado was reported on the ground 2 miles east-southeast of Melvin, Alabama, by emergency management officials Friday afternoon, the National Weather Service said. Damage to the Hunt Oil Refinery was reported.

Post by:
Filed under: Tornadoes • U.S. • Weather
  1. Philip

@banasy...so how's chrissy doing? I haven't chatted with her in quite a while.

April 16, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. from now on..."OT" stands for On Topic (he he)

🙂

April 16, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy

I said GTG in another thread, I thought. But here: hey, GTG.

April 16, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

@Jazz (aka Keiko Matsui fan) how'd you lose it? I lost it back in 1979 when on eof our Joy WB-12 gas compressors blew up. It sent me flying 30 feet. Everyone expected me to sue for big bucks. But I just couldn't do it. It wasn't their fault some idiot didn't do his job (make sure the valves are OK BEFORE THE COMPRESSOR LEAVES THE YARD) OR THAT i was too lazy to wear ear protection. plus we draank a lot back then...he he. (shrug) I can still hear ya ok...but have trouble calling myself to find my cellphone. Can't seem to triangulate very good.

April 16, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Philip

hey

April 16, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy

OFT
    @raven: every little thing is...little. *snicker*

@Phil: I just saw her name; I said hello, but I haven't been back.

April 16, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

Oh. Hello then. (he he, and buh-bye(tm) going for a run. back in about an hour. (burp)...make that an 1/2 hr.

April 16, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

Has anyone heard of the health benefits associated with running in-place? Anyone? he he...bbl.

April 16, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy

OFT

I think the benefits for running in place are the same as those of jumping-jacks.

April 16, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jazzzzzzzz

@ Phillip... My mother had the German measles while carrying me,that was the side effect. Good Nite , hope to see u around another time. HEHEHE , 🙂

April 16, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Philip

TIME!!! how'd i do? (outta breath) OK Jazz. And when it's noisy, do you fall asleep on your good ear too? I do...what a luxury. And it's cool we both hear in mono. @banasy...jumping jacks? he he...haven't heard of them since grade school/Jack LaLane(RIP) And you should help me recruit our CNN friends for Facebook. I try but they won't listen. I even tried "banasy is on FB" trying to lure them with the Queen. he he

April 16, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

Yes, I do... slept trow a fire next door...fire engines roaring and everything.

April 16, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

Throw

April 16, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

I'm doing this in the dark, let me try this one more time. "threw" 🙂

April 16, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy

That's probably why they don't want to, Phil.

April 16, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

Banasy... that's another thing I dont like, when ppl shoot themselves down....dont do that to yourself in my presence again. Nite:)

April 16, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Philip

Nah. They're just shy...LMAO. I'm thinking that they don't realize how annonymous Facebook can be. YOU control who gets to see what on your FB pages. And YOU decide what's on your pages. There's a live chat feature, where you can see what friends are currently online. Theres a newsfeed that keeps you updated as to your friends activities. Email alerts letting you know a friend has posted something new. You can find old schoolmates in a snap! (better than Classmates.com...and it's free!) hmmm, wonder if FB,inc needs anyone in sales. he he

April 16, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

Jazz...she was just kidding. (trust me) Yeah, that's why I enjoy being deaf in one ear. And dontcha just love it when you are on the phone and someone in the room is trying to talk to you at the same time? They think that you can hear them...that their words are somehow distracting you from your phone call. Nope!

April 16, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jazzzzzzzz

Ya, but everyone always has to walk to the left of me , HEHEHE

April 16, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |