Severe weather spawns tornadoes
A 6-year-old died when a tree fell on his home as storms rolled through Bald Knob, Arkansas, on Thursday.
April 15th, 2011

Severe weather spawns tornadoes

[10:25 p.m. ET, 9:25 CT] Mississippi Lt. Gov. Phil Bryant has ordered a state of emergency in 14 counties from Friday's storms. The city of Clinton suffered "extensive damage" when a tornado touched down earlier Friday, according to Mississippi's Emergency Management Agency. In Jackson, numerous power poles were snapped along one storm's path, leaving more than 23,400 customers without power, utility company Entergy Mississippi said.

[10:14 p.m. ET, 9:14 CT] Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin has declared a state of emergency for 26 counties following severe weather. Storms killed two people in the town of Tushka, where authorities say a tornado touched down Thursday night.

[9:47 p.m. ET, 8:47 CT] Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley has declared a state of emergency for all counties as a result of severe weather. Tornadoes were reported Friday near Livingston, near Melvin, and near Linden.

[8:11 p.m. ET] A tornado warning has been issued by the National Weather Service for northwest metro Atlanta. Affected areas include eastern Cobb County, northern Dekalb County and northeastern Fulton County.

[5:55 p.m. ET] A tornado watch has been issued by the National Weather Service for western and norther Georgia, including the metro Atlanta area, until 12 a.m. Saturday.  Hail up to 2 inches in diameter and wind gusts up to 70 mph are possible, forecasters say.

[4:55 p.m. ET, 3:55 p.m. CT] A tornado was reported on the ground in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, near McFarland Mall at 3:44, the National Weather Service said.

[2:55 p.m. ET, 1:55 p.m. CT] The city of Clinton, Mississippi, suffered "extensive damage" from a tornado that struck Friday, the state Emergency Management Agency said.

[2:48 p.m. ET, 1:48 p.m. CT] A tornado emergency has been issued for towns of Geiger, Panola, New West Green, and Pleasant Ridge in Alabama. At 1:34 pm CDT, storm spotters were tracking a large and extremely dangerous tornado that was mile wide, the National Weather Service said. The tornado was located 23 miles northwest of Livingston moving east at 45 mph.

[1:24 p.m. ET, 12:24 p.m. CT] A tornado has touched down southeast of Linden, Alabama, the National Weather Service said. Tornadoes have also been reported in Melvin, Alabama, and in or near the cities of Loper, Madden, Mt. Sterling, Ludlow, Clinton and Jackson in Mississippi, according to authorities.

[12:49 p.m. ET, 11:49 a.m. CT] A tornado touched down near State Line, Mississippi, at 11:45 am CDT on Friday morning. The tornado was reported by emergency management officials, the National Weather Service said. There are no reports of injuries or damage at this time.

[12:44 p.m. ET, 11:44 a.m. CT] A 34-year-old woman and a 7-year-old child have been discovered dead inside a Little Rock, Arkansas, home after being struck by a falling tree during severe storms Thursday, the state Department of Emergency Management confirmed. The deaths bring to nine the number of people killed by storms in Arkansas and Oklahoma Thursday.

[12:37 p.m. ET, 11:37 a.m. ET] A tornado was reported on the ground 2 miles east-southeast of Melvin, Alabama, by emergency management officials Friday afternoon, the National Weather Service said. Damage to the Hunt Oil Refinery was reported.

Post by:
Filed under: Tornadoes • U.S. • Weather
  1. Jazzzzzzzz

Ok, just couldn't tell that she was kidding by the way it read to me.

April 16, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jazzzzzzzz

I think I would be wierded out if i could hear in both ears all the sudden.

April 16, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Philip

Me too! (deaf in R ear) And while I'm driving, I have to roll-up my window before I can make sense of what the passenger is saying. (and even then, I have to wait for the words to bounce-off the side glass into my good ear.

April 16, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

LOLOLOLO, yes me too. funny nice to have someone who knows what it's like.

April 16, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jazzzzzzzz

How far do you run and do you want to take the test I posted earlier ?

April 16, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jazzzzzzzz - something fun for everyone

THE BLOGGING ENTRANCE TEST

1. What is your favorite word?
    2. What is your least favorite word?
    3. What turns you on?
    4. What turns you off?
    5. What sound or noise do you love?
    6. What sound or noise do you hate?
    7. What is your favorite curse word?
    8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
    9. What profession would you not like to do?
    10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?

April 16, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

I usually just go for brisk walks in the evening, but spring league basketball is starting soon, so I'm running so that I don't have a heart attack the first game. An I already answered No. 2 and 10 when you originally posted this. Did you make it up?

April 16, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz - something fun for everyone

It's a Quetionare , the host of (Inside the Actors Studio) James Lipton ask the guest at the end of each interview.

April 17, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

My fav word. hmmmm...I'll go with Quakie. (short for Qauking Aspen, the largest living organism on earth. [much of The Great Barrier Reef is dead]. A grove of Aspen stretch from the Rocky Mountains in Colorado all the way to the Atlantic Ocean, clear accross the Great Plains. One big plant growing from the same root)

April 16, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

And I like the word 'banana', but only because bananas cannot propagate without the hand of man. dagnabit! (fav cuss word) Happy horsesh/t a close second.

April 16, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz - something fun for everyone

Good ones and Colorado sound beautiful.

April 17, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  9. bananasy

(couldn't resist...'cause of Pineapple on FB) And it's true: without the human touch, there would be no banana. After bearing fruit they wither and die, so it takes a human to remove a shoot (or a "pup" as commonly called) That pup is the next generation of bananas. Without a human to care for it....no more bananas. (except for the species that do seed) I want to know how evolution knew to make the original banana plant, and then, before it died, make a man to tend it.

April 16, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Evolution

Ummmm, (back-pedal) well...what I did was ummm, make lightning strike the primordial ooze, and Poof! a Man! Oh, and I had an electric eel who thought he was a banana mate with a seedless orange. he he...i crack myself up sometimes. ever do that?

April 16, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Evolution

I was gonna say seedless lemon but can't remember if there is such a thing.

April 16, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Boehner Meets Iraqi AM

I'll check this out in the AM. g'nite Jazzzzzzz, banasy, raven...and (Jerry Seinfeld to Newman) g/n Ceeeeesar. c-ya manana. (i wonder if the spanish word manyana(tomorrow) came from men tending bananas) Si Senor...iffy we's do not eh tending to de bonanya, we gotti no bananya manyana. g'nite and dreams

April 17, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  13. Philip

Gee, where'd everyone go? My social chameleonism isn't THAT scary. More coffee Missy! And thank ya kindly.

April 17, 2011 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  14. FurryLuci

hi, my lovely hons, its luci! sorry ive been away. been recovering from the operation. had my testes removed, they were so tiny i was feeling inadequate. i like being a enuch now, much more calm, that anger is no good. ive even been talking to god, we r buds now. wasnt worth fightin him he is so much stronger than me.
    hows my hon jazzie doing.
    ? i was pretty laid up sorry i didnt call.
    hi cesar. u should chill man. maybe get the tiny testes removed? eat some bananas and tacos that may help. maybe herbie can releive u too.
    hi banassy and ravey, hows my sistas? banassy u should stop being mean to jazzie, be a good gurl ok?
    hi mmmmm, hope the duct tape is helping, u so butt ugly gotta get that beauty sleep.
    hi ruffster, hope ur burns are healing from ur visit down here. try some aloe.
    hi philie, hope the jog was good. gotta keep that fat ole a$$ trim.
    gotta go now. me god and jesus r meeting for lunch. luv u hons!

April 17, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  15. CNNListenUpAndPayAttention

hows my hon jazzie doing.
    ? i was pretty laid up sorry i didnt call.
    hi ruffster, hope ur burns are healing from ur visit down here. try some aloe.
    hi philie, hope the jog was good. gotta keep that fat ole a$$ trim.
    gotta go now. me god and jesus r meeting for lunch. luv u hons!

April 17, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |