Severe weather spawns tornadoes
A 6-year-old died when a tree fell on his home as storms rolled through Bald Knob, Arkansas, on Thursday.
April 15th, 2011

Severe weather spawns tornadoes

[10:25 p.m. ET, 9:25 CT] Mississippi Lt. Gov. Phil Bryant has ordered a state of emergency in 14 counties from Friday's storms. The city of Clinton suffered "extensive damage" when a tornado touched down earlier Friday, according to Mississippi's Emergency Management Agency. In Jackson, numerous power poles were snapped along one storm's path, leaving more than 23,400 customers without power, utility company Entergy Mississippi said.

[10:14 p.m. ET, 9:14 CT] Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin has declared a state of emergency for 26 counties following severe weather. Storms killed two people in the town of Tushka, where authorities say a tornado touched down Thursday night.

[9:47 p.m. ET, 8:47 CT] Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley has declared a state of emergency for all counties as a result of severe weather. Tornadoes were reported Friday near Livingston, near Melvin, and near Linden.

[8:11 p.m. ET] A tornado warning has been issued by the National Weather Service for northwest metro Atlanta. Affected areas include eastern Cobb County, northern Dekalb County and northeastern Fulton County.

[5:55 p.m. ET] A tornado watch has been issued by the National Weather Service for western and norther Georgia, including the metro Atlanta area, until 12 a.m. Saturday.  Hail up to 2 inches in diameter and wind gusts up to 70 mph are possible, forecasters say.

[4:55 p.m. ET, 3:55 p.m. CT] A tornado was reported on the ground in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, near McFarland Mall at 3:44, the National Weather Service said.

[2:55 p.m. ET, 1:55 p.m. CT] The city of Clinton, Mississippi, suffered "extensive damage" from a tornado that struck Friday, the state Emergency Management Agency said.

[2:48 p.m. ET, 1:48 p.m. CT] A tornado emergency has been issued for towns of Geiger, Panola, New West Green, and Pleasant Ridge in Alabama. At 1:34 pm CDT, storm spotters were tracking a large and extremely dangerous tornado that was mile wide, the National Weather Service said. The tornado was located 23 miles northwest of Livingston moving east at 45 mph.

[1:24 p.m. ET, 12:24 p.m. CT] A tornado has touched down southeast of Linden, Alabama, the National Weather Service said. Tornadoes have also been reported in Melvin, Alabama, and in or near the cities of Loper, Madden, Mt. Sterling, Ludlow, Clinton and Jackson in Mississippi, according to authorities.

[12:49 p.m. ET, 11:49 a.m. CT] A tornado touched down near State Line, Mississippi, at 11:45 am CDT on Friday morning. The tornado was reported by emergency management officials, the National Weather Service said. There are no reports of injuries or damage at this time.

[12:44 p.m. ET, 11:44 a.m. CT] A 34-year-old woman and a 7-year-old child have been discovered dead inside a Little Rock, Arkansas, home after being struck by a falling tree during severe storms Thursday, the state Department of Emergency Management confirmed. The deaths bring to nine the number of people killed by storms in Arkansas and Oklahoma Thursday.

[12:37 p.m. ET, 11:37 a.m. ET] A tornado was reported on the ground 2 miles east-southeast of Melvin, Alabama, by emergency management officials Friday afternoon, the National Weather Service said. Damage to the Hunt Oil Refinery was reported.

Post by:
Filed under: Tornadoes • U.S. • Weather
  1. The Truth

Remember you said you're not talking to banasy, just leave her alone

April 16, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jazzzzzzzz

That would be rude.

April 16, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jazzzzzzzz

You don't know me and I would like it to be her that tells me that. if that is the way she feels, she can speak for herself she is an adult like I. Not u apparently

April 16, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. The Truth

You said it, no one else, keep your word, besides you are rude!!

April 16, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jazzzzzzzz

Again if that is her wishes she will be the one to say so, only then I will respect her wishes.

April 16, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Really?

Everybody wishes you to leave her alone, you started this and now no one likes you. Banasy is our friend, she's very nice and doesn't deserve what you said about her.

April 16, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jazzzzzzzz

I am nice to everyone and was to her as well , right? Well when I ask some one any one politely to stop something and they don't I will be clear about my wishes, no matter who it is. She is a big girl let her speak for herself. If she is having you two than she needs to grow up. I am only going by the actions shown on this blog. Banasy if I hurt your feelings I am sorry but can you please speak for yourself.

April 16, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jazzzzzzzz

Same goes for everyone else. If that is true let everyone come here and say so to me right now.

April 16, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jazzzzzzzz

I am always open to admit when I am wrong and willing to be a friend. If you were really a good person u would try and give a little more thought to what you have done to me. I AM SORRY TO ALL IF I HAVE HURT FEELING. I those who won't forgive me for hurting your feeling , I wish u well. 🙂 I am NOT perfect never said I was. Now that being said it would be nice to see someone else step forward. Otherwise again i wish u well.

April 16, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sarah

You will never be forgiven by me. What you did to her you can do it to me, no thanks, and be well.

April 16, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ed Bailey

Tornadoes, WOoow, new news. Dude I lost two houses before age 5, WoW. I remember barely, underground like a rat is the only safe place in tornado alley. Daahh. Better have a snorkel too. Get with it get over it or shut up about it.or call. Your latest republican demagogue and whine!

April 16, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jazzzzzzzz

What did I do but ask her to stop something that she was doing. I really don't understand it pls elaborate

April 16, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jazzzzzzzz

Are u saying I can't ask her to stop doing something that I don't like? I knew this would happen , that's why I said that phrase " Queen Bee" it was a analogy of what I thought would happen even if I said boo to her. I like her but I don't like bowing to anyone. We are all Gods children. I will not get personal with anyone ever again but will be polite.

April 16, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jim carrey

to many disssssrespectful idiots in here.

April 16, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sarah

And if she forgives you, I'm not talking to her. No one deserves to be trashed, less banasy, you were blabing all night against her and now you want to sound polite, nice try. Not talking to you anymore.

April 16, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |