Severe weather spawns tornadoes
A 6-year-old died when a tree fell on his home as storms rolled through Bald Knob, Arkansas, on Thursday.
April 15th, 2011

Severe weather spawns tornadoes

[10:25 p.m. ET, 9:25 CT] Mississippi Lt. Gov. Phil Bryant has ordered a state of emergency in 14 counties from Friday's storms. The city of Clinton suffered "extensive damage" when a tornado touched down earlier Friday, according to Mississippi's Emergency Management Agency. In Jackson, numerous power poles were snapped along one storm's path, leaving more than 23,400 customers without power, utility company Entergy Mississippi said.

[10:14 p.m. ET, 9:14 CT] Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin has declared a state of emergency for 26 counties following severe weather. Storms killed two people in the town of Tushka, where authorities say a tornado touched down Thursday night.

[9:47 p.m. ET, 8:47 CT] Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley has declared a state of emergency for all counties as a result of severe weather. Tornadoes were reported Friday near Livingston, near Melvin, and near Linden.

[8:11 p.m. ET] A tornado warning has been issued by the National Weather Service for northwest metro Atlanta. Affected areas include eastern Cobb County, northern Dekalb County and northeastern Fulton County.

[5:55 p.m. ET] A tornado watch has been issued by the National Weather Service for western and norther Georgia, including the metro Atlanta area, until 12 a.m. Saturday.  Hail up to 2 inches in diameter and wind gusts up to 70 mph are possible, forecasters say.

[4:55 p.m. ET, 3:55 p.m. CT] A tornado was reported on the ground in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, near McFarland Mall at 3:44, the National Weather Service said.

[2:55 p.m. ET, 1:55 p.m. CT] The city of Clinton, Mississippi, suffered "extensive damage" from a tornado that struck Friday, the state Emergency Management Agency said.

[2:48 p.m. ET, 1:48 p.m. CT] A tornado emergency has been issued for towns of Geiger, Panola, New West Green, and Pleasant Ridge in Alabama. At 1:34 pm CDT, storm spotters were tracking a large and extremely dangerous tornado that was mile wide, the National Weather Service said. The tornado was located 23 miles northwest of Livingston moving east at 45 mph.

[1:24 p.m. ET, 12:24 p.m. CT] A tornado has touched down southeast of Linden, Alabama, the National Weather Service said. Tornadoes have also been reported in Melvin, Alabama, and in or near the cities of Loper, Madden, Mt. Sterling, Ludlow, Clinton and Jackson in Mississippi, according to authorities.

[12:49 p.m. ET, 11:49 a.m. CT] A tornado touched down near State Line, Mississippi, at 11:45 am CDT on Friday morning. The tornado was reported by emergency management officials, the National Weather Service said. There are no reports of injuries or damage at this time.

[12:44 p.m. ET, 11:44 a.m. CT] A 34-year-old woman and a 7-year-old child have been discovered dead inside a Little Rock, Arkansas, home after being struck by a falling tree during severe storms Thursday, the state Department of Emergency Management confirmed. The deaths bring to nine the number of people killed by storms in Arkansas and Oklahoma Thursday.

[12:37 p.m. ET, 11:37 a.m. ET] A tornado was reported on the ground 2 miles east-southeast of Melvin, Alabama, by emergency management officials Friday afternoon, the National Weather Service said. Damage to the Hunt Oil Refinery was reported.

Post by:
Filed under: Tornadoes • U.S. • Weather
  1. RUFFNUTT

wouldn't it just be easier to annex mexico?

April 16, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

Good question for Cesar/Herbert to answer.

April 16, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. RUFFNUTT

lol...

April 16, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jazzzzzzzz

Seriously though, I am worried about him. He is from good stock and means well. I poke at him a little cause I like him and he knows I'm kidding.

April 16, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cesar

@Guestmaster: You are truly getting it knee high around here. Where's a shovel? You speak as if you see all, know all. Truly, your type of person makes me SICK. You are worse than a troll. You are obviously a regular. You are too coward to post your true S/N. I don't know who has been hi-jacking my name, but I respond or ignore; depends on my mood. I can spot a phony a mile away. That's just what you are. Don't imply that I'm "behind all this nonsense" because you obviously have an axe to grind with me. So stick your agenda and accusations where the sun don't shine, bi/tch.

April 16, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Cesar

@Guestmaster: Next I'm here, I will be Cesar. Who will you be? Odd, never seen your name until now. You are so generic. Since you present yourself as Mr. Know It All, who is hi-jacking my name and raven, Philip, banasy, RuffNutt, and others. Do tell. If you can, I will re-tract my comments. If you can't, you are not only phony, but you are stupid as well. My prediction: You can't supply the info, and by Sunday, you will be hi-jacking my name, if not sooner. Have fun moron.

April 16, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jazzzzzzzz

He may have even been, LUCIFER. Who knows....it's really scary in here. That is why I choose to try and keep on topic with politeness as a fellow blogger only.

April 16, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cesar

@Guestmaster: Come on phony. I know you're a regular. Who are you stupid? Guess you are at the all you can eat buffet, you PIG!

April 16, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. raven

Jeez, its like ive stepped into a worm hole. same ole,same ole.

April 16, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Cesar

raven: hi. How are you? I'm away from TV and blogg news. I come back and see my name used everywhere. Then some a/hole (Guestmaster) says it's my fault for all nonsense. What an idiot. He knows it all-Jerk.

April 16, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jazzzzzzzz

@Cesar 6:32: Shut up stupid faker

April 16, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Philip

Bartender...gimme a double 'nado spawn water back. Wait, make that a whirling 'nado spawn, hold the rain.

April 16, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jazzzzzzzz

Phillipppppppp , how u doing ?

April 16, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Cesar

@Jazzzzz of 6:38: I'm trying to deal with one set of idiots. I don't have the time or desire to deal with a generic needy worthless idiot type such as you, HON.

April 16, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Cesar

Did you get that, HON?

April 16, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

Hay Jazz! Me? Doing well actually...the economy is really picking-up here. (Colorado Springs) And you? (Hi Ceasar...if that's really you) And being called "hon" ain't so bad. It's better than being called a "Hun". (old Germanic barbarians. One of their leaders became so famous for his brutality, people started calling them 'Philip and the Huns'! [no relation] he he)

April 16, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |