Major League Baseball taking control of Dodgers
April 20th, 2011

Major League Baseball taking control of Dodgers

[Updated at 9:57 p.m. ET] Major League Baseball on Wednesday said it was appointing a representative to oversee the operations of the Los Angeles Dodgers, whose financial struggles have been highlighted during a divorce battle between the team's husband-and-wife co-owners.

"I have taken this action because of my deep concerns regarding the finances and operations of the Dodgers and to protect the best interests of the club, its great fans and all of Major League Baseball," MLB Commissioner Bud Selig said Wednesday. "My office will continue its thorough investigation into the operations and finances of the Dodgers and related entities during the period of Mr. (Frank) McCourt's ownership. I will announce the name of my representative in the next several days.

"The Dodgers have been one of the most prestigious franchises in all of sports, and we owe it to their legion of loyal fans to ensure that this club is being operated properly now and will be guided appropriately in the future."

The league's action follows reports that McCourt has needed to borrow money to meet payroll obligations, would need to pay his wife to become sole owner of the team, and recently met with baseball officials over a proposed TV deal with Fox.

In an e-mail sent to Dodgers employees Wednesday, McCourt asked that they "please continue to conduct business as usual with our complete dedication to the game and our loyal fans."

"Each of you has represented this organization with class, and while this is no doubt a challenging time for all of us, I truly appreciate your efforts," McCourt wrote, according to an MLB.com story on the Dodgers' website.

iReport: "True Blue" fan wants team sold

The Dodgers, who have made the playoffs four out of the seven full seasons under the McCourts' ownership, have started this season with an 8-10 record entering Wednesday night's game against Atlanta.

Post by:
Filed under: Baseball • California • Sports
  1. Billy Peterson

Last time MLB took over a team it was the Montreal Expos. While I do not think they have the guts to try to move this team, if I were a fan, I would be on the look out. Nothing good can come from the league thinking your teams front office is so screwed up that they send a babysitter to look over it all. To me it is just two rich owners who would stop at nothing to screw the other one in the divorce. Thank god I will never get married because stories like these make me realize that what I once thought I wanted is probably not worth all the trouble in the long run. I am just glad that I was able to see a game at Dodger Stadium, just in case they do end up moving the team.

April 20, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. sam

The angles are NOT LA 's team. F that Orange county team and there republican red fan base.

April 20, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • WSJ

Thanks for making it so clear to those outside of CA that the Dodgers really are just a team with nothing but ghetto fans. Great representation. Keep up the good work.

April 20, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • kasey

Sam, if you knew how to spell someone might take your opinion seriously. You're an embarrassment to Dodger fans.

April 20, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • fearlessdude

This is for WSJ: Ghetto fans for ghetto players.

April 20, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. BenV

The vast majority of Dodger fans aren't ghetto or gang members they're family going folk and down to earth. Unfortunately the good fans have been scared away over the years by a small element of those types.

April 20, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve

small element?
      gimme a break
      I was visiting Dodger stadium for a game last year with my family and was lucky to get out alive.
      that place has really changed.

April 20, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Metsfan

Bud the Wilpons are broke please take over the Mets while you are at!!!!!!

April 20, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Len

Wow!!!! Now I defintely know why this country is in such trouble........
    Racism is live and well....what a shame we have so much hate in this country!

April 20, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gary

Wow – I didn't know that disliking gangs makes one a racist.

April 20, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve

i agree with Gary, if disliking gangs is racist, 98% of the populace is racist!

April 20, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. robert

the vast majority of these comments are correct. the dodgers club needs to be cleaned up whether that means to be moved to a higher class area, or be dissolved completely. I mean the cap symbol is also a gang symbol! you know things have gotten bad when that happens

April 20, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jerry Angel

Fan killed at Angel Stadium in 2009 got into a scuffle over beer with two other patrons in the stadium (not in the parking lot) and fell down some cement steps. It was not a gang hit like Dodger Stadium, home of the Dodgeraider Nation of hoodlums and victims. Build the Dodgers a new stadium in some place like the Valley or the South Bay where you don't have to fear making a wrong turn on the way out and having your family executed for being on the wrong turf remember that, Frank? I don't hate the Dodgers, but you're not getting me in to Chavez Ravine.

April 20, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mark

LA doesn't have a football team...they don't need a baseball team either. Move them back to Brooklyn where they belong. (Move the Whalers back to Hartford, too.)

April 20, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Peter O'Malley

We sold this team to Frank McCort because we wanted to bring NFL back to Los Angeles. That has been a political fiasco of epic proportions. In the interim, the Dodgers, one of the greatest sports teams in history, has been reduced to a gang affilliated mascot. Unfortunately, the horrific actions of a few have tainted the once proud and glorious history of a team so beloved by it's true fans. Those 'thugs' that once wore the Black and Silver (think Raiders) now wear the Blue and White of the LA Dodgers. Truly symblematic of the errosion of our society, its laws, and civility in general.

For the sake of the Dodgers, Los Angeles, and especially MLB, please Frank, sell me back my team!

April 20, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Police

Sorry Pete but you sold the Dodgers to Rupert Murdoch. if your going to try and act like a know it all you should get your facts straight.

April 20, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shermani

This would make the most sense. Let's have Peter Ueberroth supervise this team until O'Malley can put this deal back together.

April 20, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. RJ

contrary to the perceived notion that dodger fans are ghetto thugs, the real fans are true basball fans. yeah, the gang bangers get into it every so often. but, just youtube basball fan fights and you'll see white dudes everwhere else, drunk and beating each other up too. go blue!

April 20, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve

go blue is right!
      the question is to what city are they going?

April 20, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. nick

finally a move in the right direction. hopefully this will lead to the sale of the team to worthy owner that appreciates this great franchise. The dodgers expanded baseball into the west coast... they're not going anywhere.

April 20, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Andrew

Dear Frank and TuffGong71, kindly shut up. I love the Angels, and I'm from Idaho. So yes, some people do care about them.

April 20, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mark

It would not be a surprise if the NY Mets were next.

April 20, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. AC

Please, ANgels have way more class then the Dogger... Crappy team. I went to that stadium once! Once!! And that was all it took to me feel as if i was at a minor legue stadium.. That place stinks of hoodlooms and the team is a disgrace to all of MLB. Go Red Sox , Go Angels. GO entire MLB – the Doggers! Nuf Said.

April 20, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Police

Yea, right a mino league stadium. Clearly you are blind as well as dumb.

April 20, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Max

Wow O.C. has strong Racisim!!! last time I checked O.C. has cities with hard core gang bangers, drugies, murders and paroles. If you dont belive use the internet to look it up.

April 20, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |