Easter reminder: Kinder Eggs banned in the United States
April 21st, 2011

Easter reminder: Kinder Eggs banned in the United States

Not all eggs are created equal in the eyes of U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Kinder Eggs, a popular European chocolate egg that contains a toy inside, is banned from importation into the United States because it contains a "non-nutritive object embedded in it."

With the Easter holiday around the corner, the agency issued the reminder this week, warning that the candy is considered unsafe for children under 3. Last year, Customs and Border Protection seized 25,000 of them in 1,700 incidents.

The hollow egg, which is sold by the Italian confectioner Ferrero, is available in Europe, Canada, Australia and parts of Latin America under various names including Kinder Surprise and Kinder Sorpresa. It has taken on a cult status among adults who collect the toys, which vary from rings to animals and cartoon characters.

Kinder Eggs' scarcity in the United States has made them an object of desire: Various websites and online forums are dedicated to acquiring them.

Some are apparently hiding in plain sight. Earlier this week, DNAinfo.com, a New York City neighborhood guide, posted a story and slideshow showing stores where the coveted treats can be found.

"While there are some commercial-sized seizures that occur, most Kinder Eggs are seized in personal baggage or at mail and express consignment facilities," Customs and Border Protection said.

A Canadian woman reportedly learned her lesson the hard way.

The woman was selected for a random search at a border checkpoint in Minnesota when officials discovered she was carrying a Kinder Egg and took it from her, The Toronto Star reported.

A few weeks later, she received a 7-page letter asking if she wanted the egg back or if she was going to abandon rights to it, the Star reported.

"I was in disbelief," she told the newspaper. "It's a $2 egg."

Post by:
Filed under: Food • Holidays • U.S.
  1. Marcus

Is THAT what that crunchy filling is?!? A TOY?!?

April 21, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Brigitte

You can buy known killers like guns and cigarettes, but you can't buy a Kinder Egg....ridiculous.

April 21, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • AK

Yes, please ban everything dangerous. Everyone into your Party coveralls and line up for your bowl of Victory Porridge.

April 21, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shampoohorns

They aren't for CHILDREN. I guess all consumer protections should just go away because you can buy a gun or a cigarette? Do you then give these to kids?

April 21, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • AK

Not all protections should go away. Just the exceedingly stupid ones. Like the bans on Kinder eggs.

April 21, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Shampoohorns

For those who think Obama just did this: The United States Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (abbreviated as FFDCA, FDCA, or FD&C), is a set of laws passed by Congress in 1938 giving authority to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to oversee the safety of food, drugs, and cosmetics. The introduction of this act was influenced by the death of more than 100 patients due to a sulfanilamide medication where diethylene glycol was used to dissolve the drug and make a liquid form. See Elixir Sulfanilamide disaster.

So you can't get a German egg with a toy that could choke your toddler. Go buy a chocolate rabbit make in the USA and shut up.

April 21, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • AK

Choke my toddler – oh my! Call out the legions of large women in muu-muu's with social science degrees and Government positions to save my children from their parents!

April 21, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shampoohorns

Don't take away my chocolate LIBERTY! Call out the legions of uneducated blue collar workers to sit in D.C. in lawnchairs and protect my liberty!

April 21, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • AK

Oohhh..a strong whiff of elitist snob, I smells....

April 21, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. kasey

Ridiculous. Let's bring all the illegals we want over the border, but dang it, no chocolate eggs with a toy inside.

April 21, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shampoohorns

No, genius, that is illegal too. That is why they are called that! lol (at u not with u)

April 21, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • kasey

You're so clever, shampoobrain.

April 21, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shampoohorns

Actually, I am. Good of you to notice. You aren't, that's obvious. Thanks for making my night!

April 21, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. AK

Marcus, i am LMAO at your comment...

Spent 3 years in Germany. My kids LOVED these. They were very little. And they survived the experience. This is what you get from a nation whose schools instead of graduating engineers produce masses of lawyers and public administrators looking to make a buck off nothing or to justify their existences by passing more stupid laws.

April 21, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Shampoohorns

So you can't get a German egg with a toy that could choke your toddler. Go buy a chocolate rabbit made in the USA and shut up.

April 21, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shampoohorns

They have been recalled/banned since 1997. You know how long ago that was right?

April 21, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Old man

Is there any chocolate made in the US any more?

April 22, 2011 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  7. Overmann

Growing up in Germany, these eggs were a staple of my childhood. I'd rather not have to wait until my parents make trips outside the country to get my hands on these. Besides – isn't there something more important you should be securing at the border, Customs?

April 21, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. nodat1

I did not know that they were banned, to get your kinder eggs fix check out your locally owned dollar stores......
    I grew up on kinder eggs in Germany I even found a few stores in the US that sold them in the past. Why are they banned, I guess they are afraid that an untended child without parenteral supervision would swallow the toy, Funny thing I never heard about any kid in Germany accidentally swallowing any of the toys. The wording of the law "embedded in it" would suggest that the egg is solid chocolate which the child must chew through in order to get the toy. The egg is hollow folks and bedsides the chocolate is of very poor quality most people only buy them for the toys. Sad but it's the law even though it doesn't make much sense

April 21, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JP

This is possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. I grew up with these when my German grandmother put them in our stockings for Christmas. It's amazing we didn't choke to death . How about letting people grow up the way we used to – without the help of the government then maybe we wouldn't be breeding such stupidity as we are these days.

April 21, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nannystate

Talk about hitting the nail on the head...! Good job! But a large part of the problem is lawyers and Tort law suits in particular. No one is responsible for their actions anymore, and lawyers will sue over a broken toenail, and there are idiot juries that make monetary awards in the most ridiculous lawsuits you've ever heard of. That and the government (no so slowly) chipping away at our freedoms is really doing us all in.

April 21, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. COMMANDREA

WOW! Whose bright idea was this anyways? I'd like to challenge them to a Kinder Egg toy building duel for our right to regain this delectable treat.

April 21, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Candace

LOL you U.S. Americans, like Iraq and such, are funny

April 21, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Larry L

Big fluffy tail... tiny little dog. Maybe we need tort reform so this ridiculous nonsense doesn't offer a profit for lawyers.

April 21, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. EL PACO TACO

These have been illegal for years.. I have been smuggling these into the US ever since they were banned! I am now listed in Forbes Top 100 richest people thanks to these golden illegal little eggs!!! I live in Mexico and am also on the FBI TOP Ten wanted list for the illegal importation of these with a 10M bounty on my head!!!! LOL

April 21, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • EL PACO TACO

I forgot to mention... to look me up on ebay 🙂

April 21, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Not So Kinder Surprised

EMBEDDED
    1. To fix firmly in a surrounding mass: embed a post in concrete; fossils embedded in shale.
    2. To enclose snugly or firmly.
    3. To cause to be an integral part of a surrounding whole: "a minor accuracy embedded in a larger untruth" (Ian Jack).
    4. To assign (a journalist) to travel with a military unit during an armed conflict.
    News Flash CNN "News" the toy is NOT 'embedded' in the food item, it is inside another plastic egg inside the hollow cavity of chocolate, shake one for yourselves . And yes, well, we all know the border are experts at cavity searches.
    And speaking of "non-nutritive", I drive one block and there are 6 fast food places that sell "non-nutritive" crap that is totally legal and promoted shamelessly and that's okay? Stupid story (though its a fact, the border does confiscate them) so I will go eat my Kinder Surprise all to myself and not share with you. Its actually REALLY, REALLY good chocolate, but you'll never know.

April 21, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sebastian

Thats sooo Stupid!!!
    I used to eat those eggs when i was little. I mean the toy is fricken huge, only a fat obese boy could choke on that thing.
    The toy DONT look NOWERE like chocolate.
    They should JUST ban cherry's because they have seeds that little kids can choke on.
    RIDICULOUS!!!

April 21, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • AK

".....ban cherry's because they have seeds that little kids can choke on."

Fer Chrissake, don't give the large lady regulators any more ideas....

April 21, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |