Easter reminder: Kinder Eggs banned in the United States
April 21st, 2011

Easter reminder: Kinder Eggs banned in the United States

Not all eggs are created equal in the eyes of U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Kinder Eggs, a popular European chocolate egg that contains a toy inside, is banned from importation into the United States because it contains a "non-nutritive object embedded in it."

With the Easter holiday around the corner, the agency issued the reminder this week, warning that the candy is considered unsafe for children under 3. Last year, Customs and Border Protection seized 25,000 of them in 1,700 incidents.

The hollow egg, which is sold by the Italian confectioner Ferrero, is available in Europe, Canada, Australia and parts of Latin America under various names including Kinder Surprise and Kinder Sorpresa. It has taken on a cult status among adults who collect the toys, which vary from rings to animals and cartoon characters.

Kinder Eggs' scarcity in the United States has made them an object of desire: Various websites and online forums are dedicated to acquiring them.

Some are apparently hiding in plain sight. Earlier this week, DNAinfo.com, a New York City neighborhood guide, posted a story and slideshow showing stores where the coveted treats can be found.

"While there are some commercial-sized seizures that occur, most Kinder Eggs are seized in personal baggage or at mail and express consignment facilities," Customs and Border Protection said.

A Canadian woman reportedly learned her lesson the hard way.

The woman was selected for a random search at a border checkpoint in Minnesota when officials discovered she was carrying a Kinder Egg and took it from her, The Toronto Star reported.

A few weeks later, she received a 7-page letter asking if she wanted the egg back or if she was going to abandon rights to it, the Star reported.

"I was in disbelief," she told the newspaper. "It's a $2 egg."

Post by:
Filed under: Food • Holidays • U.S.
  1. Garmac

American stupidity at it's finest... At least there is a store around the corner that carry those, thank god...

April 21, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. The Mad Ape

Ummm proper thing. The terrorists may hide bombs in them.

April 21, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. The Mad Ape

Eggs from chickens should be banned too. That's no yolk!

April 21, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Zach

Any child who ate a Kinder Egg whole and choked on the toy inside would have to have the biggest mouth in the world. Which means their throat would be big too, so they wouldn't choke.

April 21, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. dt74

I think the toy is less dangerous than the goo inside a cadbury egg.

April 21, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Samantha Dunne

Whaaaat!? I used to be obsessed with these when I was little! My parents would take us to meet family in Spain and Italy and my relatives would always get me a bunch of Kinder eggs, and whatever eggs that were left would come back home with us. I had been eating these since I was two or three, and I never once choked on the little toy inside – it's practically impossible to do it unless you're inhaling the thing.

Thank you, America, for ruining my childhood.

April 21, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Peter

The toy inside is enclosed in a plastic capsule that only an adult can open, even I have a hard time opening them... So it is impossible for the child to choke on the toy inside while eating the thin (delicious) chocolate shell.

As a kid my parents would buy them for me and then help me assemble the 'surprise' inside. I feel sad for the millions of US kids that will never experience the fun and bonding that a simple thing like chocolate egg with a toy inside can bring.

April 21, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Another misleading CNN article

I call BS on this article. Yes, they cannot be sold here but I have never had any confiscated at customs or the border. As a matter of fact I just got back last week from a trip to Mexico and brought some back for the kids. Reported them at customs and had no problems....

April 21, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Shampoohorns

Kasey, Sweetie, I am talking about the The United States Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, and last time I chacked that was not the FDA. It's nice how you respond to facts with namecalling and slurs, but I hardly think pointing out that this didn't happen THIS WEEK to the knee-jerk teabaggers on here qualifies me as a nutcase. I just don't get all flag-wavey and weepie when an article appears about a 14 year old ban on chocolate.

April 21, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Diane

Of course now I want them.

April 21, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ryan

Our government's misplaced priorities again. This is the parent's concern, not the government's.

April 21, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bill

Reason number 4,712 to hate the current government.

April 21, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

current government? they were banned in 1997, why are you blaming the current government?

April 21, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Michelle S.

Thank You, U.S. Customs , for Banning Kinder Eggs. I think you are doing a great Job for the United States. There will always be controversy about everything. Some United States Citizens are very closed minded and cannot see danger if it was hitting them in the Face. Grow up people , stop pouting and complaining. Be thankful we have a U.S. Customs.

April 21, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Brandon

A chocolate egg with a toy inside is banned? I found a bunch at the Kroger down the street yesterday.

April 21, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Greg

Now if we could just get the gov to ban toxic chemicals from our food!!! No wait, that would cost some major corporation some money. Just keep feeding Americans pesticides so the CEO of Monsanto can get a fat bonus.

April 21, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |