Overheard on CNN.com: Readers respond to birth certificate
President Barack Obama says the country does not "have time for this kind of silliness."
April 27th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Readers respond to birth certificate

Comment of the morning: "(President Barack) Obama just pulled out his Trump card." - Cavemullah

Obama releases original long-form birth certificate

Doubters that President Barack Obama was born in the United States, led recently by possible Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump, got their answer Wednesday when the White House released Obama's original birth certificate. "Birthers" have insisted that Obama was born overseas - possibly in his father's home country of Kenya - and therefore may be constitutionally ineligible to serve as president. Obama said Wednesday that he released his original birth certificate because the country does not "have time for this kind of silliness."

Many CNN.com readers expressed frustration that the president was put in the position of having to show his birth certificate at all.

CrunkSwaggaG said, "I think Donald Trump and about half of the Republican Party owe President Obama a sincere apology." flatbushfred said, "Obama shouldn't have had to do this. It's blatant racism." LPLove said, "No president in history has ever been treated this way. The birthers are nothing more than racists wrapping themselves in the flag. Disgusting." harryball said, "I feel bad for this guy. When was the last time a president was forced to show his birth certificate two years into his presidency? Oh that's right, never. Even as president, black people are still being treated as second-class citizens."

Watch an iReporter's response

About Trump’s role in the controversy, CNN.com readers had plenty to say:

icecold12 said, "Now Trump has to live up to his end of the deal and deliver his income tax information and net worth. Obama called his bluff and I bet he folds." BobSacamano said, "I'd like to know how much debt Trump has discharged throughout his life by claiming bankruptcy. How many millions has he stiffed his investors and creditors for?"

USAlegend said, OBAMA: "On Your Face Sucker, Here is my Birth Certificate.’ TRUMP: "Well......huh.....hmmmm....But this doesn't prove that you are not a Muslim."

And now that the original certificate has been released, many CNN.com readers said it still won’t be enough for birthers.

W2ATL said, "This really won't matter. These clowns will have some new madness to cry about in three hours." livingston1 responded, “Really, do you think it will take that long? That kind of hate blinds them to any sense of reason.” Nagaina said, “Countdown to someone claiming the long form birth certificate is an 'obvious forgery'...3...2...1.” BubbaSponge said, “Now hopefully the birthers will give it a rest once and for all!!” TikiGawd said, “Nah, they'll start a movement saying Hawaii isn't really part of the United States because it's 'overseas.' " iroshi said, “It's a shame the ‘birthers’ can't focus on an issue that is actually important. For instance, the national debt, unemployment, taxes, etc. What an incredible waste of time and money this has been.”

soundoff (1,022 Responses)
  1. cyntia

My New York State birth certificate is hand-written.

April 27, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bugsy

Teabaggers and Birthers... what a bunch of racist taintburgers.

April 27, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tax Payer

Joe..Joe....Joe; you and Cardo both have the mentality of a cricket and the intelligence of something my dog left in the yard. Suggest you both crawl back into that small little world of your own you both crawled out from.

April 27, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Marisa Cox

Mr. Trump's inquiry regarding Mr. Obama's birth right to presidency is just a crude metaphor for racism. The logic behind the inquiry is flaw and lacks moral authority. Mr. Trump is the "poster boy" for decadence and self- indulgency; he does not represent the values of a "forward society". The ugly truth is that Mr. Trump has nothing to bring to the table.

Perhaps Mr. Trump should take a moment to apologize to Mr. Obama and the Americans that voted for him.

April 27, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Marion

I am disappointed that Obama and the White House showed the birth certificate at this time. They should have waited until Trump announced his candidacy.....which I don't believe he will. They should have continued to let the idiot cook his own goose with his ridiculous claims and bluffs. Anyone notice that the "original" is also called a "Certificate of LIve Birth", something Trump claimed was not a "real birth certificate"? Why didn't any reporter question him about his claim that the birth certificate was "missing"? LOL. Missing because he could not get anyone to show it to him? hee hee. What a utter joke Donald Trump is. I hope he runs. (and Palin too as his vice pres. What a comedy that would be).

April 27, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. canuck

1) This was a mistake. Running against The Donald would have been a cake walk

2) Nice of Hawaii to note the race of each parent – I'm sure it's only done to help prevent accidental switching of babies.

April 27, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Tom

I heard the birthers are trying to track down every baby born in that hospital on that same day to see if they remember Obama.

April 27, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Muggsy3

THAN YOU JOHN! funny how BHO opposition rarely resorts to name-calling, insults and down right hateful rhetoric but it is standard fare for pro-BHO bloggers. makes one wonder doesn't it?

April 27, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

hello – ever heard of Joe Wilson who called him a liar? Did you check out the car dealer who put up the billboard with the caricature if Obama wearing a turban? Don't even try to suggest that the birthers take the moral high road . . . .there is just waaaay too much evidence of their mudslinging on the internet.

April 27, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bunky

WELL IF THIS WAS SUCH NONSENSE AND SILLIENES THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU RELEASE IT SOONER TO SHUT THE NON BELIEVERS UP??? AND WHY DID YOU PAY SO MUCH MONEY TO KEEP IT HIDDEN??? I THINK YOU US AN APOLOGY!!!

April 27, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • fed up

I agree with you totally. It is not silly for b hussain obama to prove he is American Born! I'm like you .........Why all the stalling to prove his birth certificate?.........................Was it to buy time for different ones to be paid off to lile in b hussain obama's behalf. Yes, I guess that all takes time. Give anyone 1 week and they can show their birth certificate. It took him over 2 years! I am sure that CNN will flower that up and try to make b hussain obama look good. .................................

April 27, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • trex

Here is your appology, Sorry you are a bunch of LOSER Morons.

April 27, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Stephen

All that is changed is we have a new electronically produced "image" to look at. What's up with the left margin? Why would Obama spend two millionn dollars to keep this locked away? The birthers did not make issue of this, it was Obama from the start when the Clintons demanded his eligibility.

April 27, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bible Clown

"Why would Obama spend two millionn dollars to keep this locked away?" That's easy, he didn't. He released it years ago. He didn't pay any money to hide it. The Republican Governor of Hawaii sent someone to physically look at it and said "Oh well, nothing wrong here." She lost the election because she refused to lie. I see you have n problem with lies, though. Poor sap, I know you hate having a black president but it's true so get over it.

April 27, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  11. svi

I love how these birthers think that America is off the hook for centuries of racism, and that they themselves are innocent until proven guilty.

No. You are guilty until proven innocent. EVERYONE is. I've never met one adult who didn't have any racial prejudice. Not friends, not family, not blacks, not whites, not myself. America is a nation of self-centered bigots, myself included. It is absolutely impossible that after 400 years of slavery and Jim Crow laws, the whole country turned itself around in half a lifetime.

America has only changed on the surface.

April 27, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Marion

American born WRITES:

Obama has fixed this country.. We are in the Best shape we ever been....I am so proud of our President. And I coudnt be happier because my business is prospeing more than ever.During the Bush years my company was doing terrible but now thanks to all the forclosures I have been able to buy and flip homes left and right...I just hope these forclosures keep coming.so I can keep buying.I also started a new business, I love obama T-Shirts, They fly off the rack. Just looking forward to another 4 years...please please plesse dont lose Faith in our President..vote for him please.

American born......huh? another bottom feeder!! loving it that so many people lost their homes so YOU COULD PROFIT OFF THEM. You are disgusting!!

April 27, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bible Clown

He works at McDogfood and never 'flipped a house' in his life. He's just repeating something he heard the grownups say.

April 27, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Gary Burdick

Ha, ha! "The Donald" got trumped!

April 27, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. robert

Has anyone bothered to google the address of the hospital shown on the birth certificate? It seems like a residential area to me, not a hospital. I cannot believe that the hospital had been torn down after he was born to build a home.

April 27, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Stephen

IT's a fake, and a bad one too.

April 27, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |