How close did bin Laden hunter get?
Gary Faulkner went to Pakistan to hunt for Osama bin Laden last year. Now he reportedly wants some of the $25 million reward.
May 4th, 2011

How close did bin Laden hunter get?

Last June an American construction worker was picked up in Pakistan on a one-man mission to capture Osama bin Laden.

Gary Faulkner was armed with a dagger, some biblical literature, a pistol, night-vision goggles and a sword, news reports said.

What's more, the man was even on dialysis, CNN reported at the time. And yet somehow he managed to end up in Chitral, a mountainous district in the northern tip of the country.

Chitral  was as logical a place as any to hunt for the most wanted terrorist in the world. News reports in the years since the 9/11 attacks had put bin Laden in fortress-like environs along the Afghanistan-Pakistan border. Chitral fit the bill. It was connected to the rest of the country by a strip of land so treacherous that it is often closed because of weather conditions.

On Sunday night, Americans received news that bin Laden was killed in his compound in Abbottabad, about 50 kilometers (31 miles) north of the Pakistani capital of Islamabad.

How far off was Faulkner, whose across-the-world trek still remains shrouded in mystery?

Chitral to Abbottabad is roughly about 300 miles, according to Google Maps technology, indicating about a "7-hour" drive.  Yeah right. To put the distance in perspective, according to Google, the two places are about the same distance as Atlanta, Georgia, to the Florida Panhandle.

Of course, much of the Pakistan route is undriveable because of foothills and mountains. The area is also said to be inhabited by fiercely independent tribes.

While Faulkner has talked to CNN in depth much of the details about his trip remain secret. What we do know is that he wants some of the $25 million reward money that was offered for bin Laden's kill or capture.

"I scared the squirrel out of his hole, he popped his head up and he got capped," Faulkner told ABC News this week, referring to bin Laden's death. "[U.S. officials] were handed this opportunity on a platter from myself," he was quoted as saying.

Faulkner also told ABC that assertions that bin Laden had been holed up in his compound in Abbottabad for more than half a decade were not true.

"He hadn't been living there for no damn six years," he told ABC. "I absolutely flushed him out."

Should Faulkner get a portion of the reward?

Post by:
Filed under: Al Qaeda • Osama bin Laden • September 11 • Terrorism
soundoff (1,046 Responses)
  1. Mensaman

I was looking for bin Laden in the Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I was holed up there for a month. I know I flushed him out and made it easy for the CIA to pick him up in Abbottabad. I deserve the money.

May 4, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Beanbag

I sent Osama evil thoughts via my mind while he was in hiding, I feel this is what caused him to "come out of his hideout," I want 2million dollars for my help.

May 4, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. standingwave

Who is this,Dog the bin Laden hunter?

May 4, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. kelly

I heard they observed protocol on this burial. He was bathed in pig's blood, had a communion wafer sewn into his mouth, wore a Star of David pendant, carried a Buddha statue in his pocket, then had weights tied to his head so he'd land upside down. Funniest part was that when he showed up in his "Paradise", it was a lake of fire and the only virgins there were his fellow male terrorists.

May 4, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • mark worrell

and you, kelly.

May 4, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Barbara Geoffroy

Dude you did not shoot him you get nothing! The reward goes to the Navy Seals!

May 4, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Agreed, give that money to the SEAL team and their support personnel, THEY deserve it.

May 4, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Don Cheazy

Hey crazy or not....you have to give the man credit for even being in the area. Give him some money just for that! Crazy=Balls=crazy!

May 4, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

He deserves an award. The award of being locked in a padded cell, the damned loony toon!

May 4, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Schmitty

Mr. Faulkner's image and story seems to be a flashback of the Cheech and Chong bit:
    Soft knocks on door...
    Bin Laden: "Who is it."
    Faulkner: "It's me, Dave, man. Open up. I've got the stuff."
    Bin Laden: "Dave?"
    Faulkner: "Yeah, Dave."
    Bin Laden: "Dave's not here."

May 4, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Chris

Yeah Hooligan... at least say "Spoiler Alert" before telling us there is no Santa Claus.

May 4, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Zac

If he deserves money then so do I. I can come up with a lame story to say I flushed him out of the mountains too

May 4, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Steve Bishop

Does anyone notice this nutcase looks like Richard Branson?

May 4, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. brokenteeth

Ya why not . Give this guy some money . He brought a sword to a gun fight. That deserves a reward.

May 4, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ted

You guys are all missing the most obvious point....when did Tommy Chong become a bounty hunter.

May 4, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Daniel

No he should not. Since the hit was carried out by soliders in duty, therefore ineligible for financial reward, I think the 25 million should go to the benefit fund for victim's of UBL's crimes.

May 4, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

I say to make an exception to policy and award it to the SEAL team and their support personnel.

May 4, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Duke13

Faulkner's a whacko. He get's nothing!

May 4, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Wesley

I also helped flush the squirrel out of his hole. Earlier this year, I wrote a cool post on the Internet, about all of the scary things I would do to help torture bin Laden if I had the chance. Bin Laden must have read that, and he was so worried he fled to Pakistan to get away from me. Because I'm a real tough guy. So please give me my share of the $25 million. Thanks.

May 4, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |