How close did bin Laden hunter get?
Gary Faulkner went to Pakistan to hunt for Osama bin Laden last year. Now he reportedly wants some of the $25 million reward.
May 4th, 2011

How close did bin Laden hunter get?

Last June an American construction worker was picked up in Pakistan on a one-man mission to capture Osama bin Laden.

Gary Faulkner was armed with a dagger, some biblical literature, a pistol, night-vision goggles and a sword, news reports said.

What's more, the man was even on dialysis, CNN reported at the time. And yet somehow he managed to end up in Chitral, a mountainous district in the northern tip of the country.

Chitral  was as logical a place as any to hunt for the most wanted terrorist in the world. News reports in the years since the 9/11 attacks had put bin Laden in fortress-like environs along the Afghanistan-Pakistan border. Chitral fit the bill. It was connected to the rest of the country by a strip of land so treacherous that it is often closed because of weather conditions.

On Sunday night, Americans received news that bin Laden was killed in his compound in Abbottabad, about 50 kilometers (31 miles) north of the Pakistani capital of Islamabad.

How far off was Faulkner, whose across-the-world trek still remains shrouded in mystery?

Chitral to Abbottabad is roughly about 300 miles, according to Google Maps technology, indicating about a "7-hour" drive.  Yeah right. To put the distance in perspective, according to Google, the two places are about the same distance as Atlanta, Georgia, to the Florida Panhandle.

Of course, much of the Pakistan route is undriveable because of foothills and mountains. The area is also said to be inhabited by fiercely independent tribes.

While Faulkner has talked to CNN in depth much of the details about his trip remain secret. What we do know is that he wants some of the $25 million reward money that was offered for bin Laden's kill or capture.

"I scared the squirrel out of his hole, he popped his head up and he got capped," Faulkner told ABC News this week, referring to bin Laden's death. "[U.S. officials] were handed this opportunity on a platter from myself," he was quoted as saying.

Faulkner also told ABC that assertions that bin Laden had been holed up in his compound in Abbottabad for more than half a decade were not true.

"He hadn't been living there for no damn six years," he told ABC. "I absolutely flushed him out."

Should Faulkner get a portion of the reward?

Post by:
Filed under: Al Qaeda • Osama bin Laden • September 11 • Terrorism
soundoff (1,046 Responses)
  1. barry

Well maybe I could get a little of that cash>> I had a dream I beheaded him the other day–you think

May 4, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. chris

the only thing not flushed out was this guy's head out of his ass.

May 4, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cornerman

LOL..... I like the way you think!

May 4, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Randy

I love it .That made my day .Thanks lol lol lol

May 4, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Maria

When this guy was originally in the news for his attemp to find him, everyone called him a patriot. Now people are calling him crazy. Why? Because he was possibly, in a way, over the course of time, somewhat involved in bin ladens demise? I say the government should give him at least something for his efforts as a civilian. Perhaps some new kidneys.

May 4, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • uhhhhhh

No, I'm pretty sure everyone thought he was crazy then, too.

May 4, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Felicitations

May 4, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. hotpatata

You get bailed out of a Pakistani jail and flown home on the government dime, dude. That's your reward. Next time be a bit more realistic with your goals, like chasing down people who rob Girl Scouts of their cookies.

May 4, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • CraigOlist

I don't think this guy would be able to chase down anyone. He should be thankful he didnt find bin laden because he would have been shot and killed in a heartbeat if he had.. Dude, you had nothing to do with catching bin laden. If Bin Laden was ever aware that you were searching for him he probably just laughed and then forgot about it 10 seconds later. Everyone appreciates the effort but no one appreciates you trying to take credit like this. No.

May 4, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ernest T

I flushed him out!!! I flushed him out!!!!
    Can't catch me – I'm Ernest T

May 4, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Randy

Another great one .Thanks

May 4, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jill

Okay- That was funny (The "Ernest T" reference).

May 5, 2011 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
  7. Gevans

I drew a picture of me killing him give me some

May 4, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Frank Rizzo

Gary Faulkner is a freaking idiot that needs to be in mental hospital, while your at it throw away the key as this wacko receiving any portion of the $25 Million Dollars my answer is "HELL NO."

May 4, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mca

One of the dumbest articles I have ever seen in my life. Why is the news media paying attention to this loon? All get over it, Osama sleeps with the fishes!!!!!!!!!!

May 4, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Eric the actor

Too much drugs during the 60's for this freak! You actually have to find him with FACTS and EVIDENCE...not just be some kook on a crusade.

May 4, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. SteveCHNC

Osama did not come over to my house because he knew I would find him if he did, so I deserve some of the reward for making him go where he was finally found!

May 4, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. rambho

too much video games, eh?

May 4, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. JohnnyDanger

Kind of like those idiots that once filed a lawsuit againt the United States for trespassing on the moon...which they claimed was their property.

May 4, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. BiteMe

wow! If you believe that I have some property in Alaska for sale that has white sandy beaches and palm trees.

May 4, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. C Zenko

"Oh no a man with a sword! Let us build a safe place in a city to hide from the man with the sword." Do you really think that was what OBL was thinking? If OBL was ok with Tomahak missles, armed UAVs and they didn't flush him out, i think a man with a sword likely was not that intimidating to him. Don't get me wrong i am glad they got him, i just don't think that the bounty hunter had any impact on the desisions OBL made. Good job for going out and giving a try, but the Seals beat you to the pot at the end of the rainbow. I think they should get some of the gold.

May 4, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nina V.

No my friend, you are mistaken..This guy DID get his POT at the end of his rainbow...Then he was interviewed by CNN

May 4, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |