Feds issue rail alert following bin Laden raid
May 5th, 2011

Feds issue rail alert following bin Laden raid

This U.S. Department of Homeland Security has issued an unclassified notice stressing security on U.S. railways - an alert prompted, according to a U.S. law enforcement source, by information gleaned from this week's raid on Osama bin Laden's Pakistani compound.

The notice says that, in February 2010, al Qaeda members discussed a plan to derail trains in the United States by placing obstructions on tracks, according to a source who received the notice.

The plan was to be executed this fall, on the 10th anniversary of the September 11, 2001, attacks. But no specific city or rail system was identified in the notice, the source said.

"I would not view it as an operational plan," the source said. "I am not aware that anyone was tasked to carry it out."

Bin Laden was killed early Monday morning at the Pakistani housing compound where he was staying by a team of U.S. Navy SEALs, U.S. officials have said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Al Qaeda • Osama bin Laden • Terrorism
  1. PittsburghPete

Not only did Obama get Osama, but because of the information we've gathered as a result, the world is safer than it has been at any point since before the 1998 Fatwah; nice job, Mr. President, Navy, intelligence community!

May 5, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dan smith

U.S. doesn't use passenger rails so much anymore so this sounds like a rather contrived low level target for alqiuda to go after. A more significant target would be for them to attack Los Angeles while Prince William is visiting.

May 5, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mhunterjr

passenger rail isn't the only concern... do you know what kinds of things are carried on freight trains?

May 5, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

The US may not use passenger rail, but commuter rail is still very prominent in major cities. Almost 1MM people pass through Grand Central terminal daily, and another 500k in Penn Station, both in NYC. Other big cities also have very crowded rail stations during the rush hours, so it isnt something to simply shrug off...

May 5, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Psyclops

Well that narrows it down.

May 5, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Frank

Prepare for war, sh!t is coming, and hard, sometimes they say trains but mean something different, this is the result of a stupid operation designed to put fear on US citizens, this is going to cost more than all the wars together, what a bunch of idiots, Panetta and Co.

May 5, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • rogervarley

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

May 5, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Manson

What I hear is that many of my fellow Americans would've have felt safer letting this mass murdering lump of shizz go on living in peace. I for one will never forget the over 3000 innocent American lives he took and neither should you.

May 5, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. nur amabo nur

They kill 3000 of ours we kill 3 or 4 of thiers. They kill more of ours we kill a couple of thiers... Sounds like we're losing pretty badly to me.

May 5, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. kim

I believe al qaeda is here and i think they are some of our very own citizen there seems to be too many people talking like there sad that this man was killed there anti government and traitors. I just dont trust the talk that ive been reading on this blog. Its so anti American and government.

May 5, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kirkpatrick

Unfortunately the greatest possible Terrorist intelligence asset is now at the bottom of the Arabian Sea. Two words that do not go together: Military & Intelligence!

May 5, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. wlfn69

I have a good friend who took the train to DC with his wife and two kids. He told me how surprised he was at the lack of security. No luggage checks, metal detectors, scanners nothing. Doesn't anybody remember Spain, England??? It's not all about airplanes. Any mode of transportation is at risk.

May 5, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. wlfn69

Please excuse the spelling and grammar errors.

May 5, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. dan smith

Absolutely, it would've been better if we had taken him alive and hadn't let anyone know about it so we would've had the opportunity to interrogate him. And yes by interrogation I also me torture to find out all the information he had.

May 5, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • DMBfan

Yes, because information received from torture has proven soooooo reliable in the past (that's sarcasm). Do some research.

May 5, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. dan smith

Absolutely, it would've been better if we had taken him alive and hadn't let anyone know about it so we would've had the opportunity to interrogate him. And yes by interrogation I also mean torture
    to find out all the information he had.

May 5, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Frank

I like "trolling" the gay bars for stray wieners. I like my wieners "Blackened" if you know what I mean. 🙂

May 5, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. dan smith

Sure has that's how we found bin Laden, by torturing Kahlid Shiek Muhammad.

May 5, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Linari

I agree, kim. If I had to start looking, I'd start with nur amabo nur.

May 5, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |