Alabama storm victim to spend first Mother's Day in shelter
Leicia Fairchild and her son, Christian, survived last week's devastating storms in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
May 7th, 2011

Alabama storm victim to spend first Mother's Day in shelter

Leicia Fairchild had only one thing on her mind as a tornado ripped apart her home in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, last week.

"My son, my son, I got to get to my son," Fairchild recalls.

Fairchild was relieved to find her 8-week-old son, Christian, unharmed in her mother's home down the hill. But her elation has turned into despair as she gets ready to spend her first Mother's Day in a shelter with more than 200 others displaced by last week's devastating storms.

"I pictured Mother's Day at home with his father, and happy and everything, and it's far from happy. I’m in a shelter with my son," she said.

The American Red Cross set up the shelter just a few miles outside Tuscaloosa, where a massive tornado cut a 5.9-mile-long path of destruction last week. More than 5,700 structures were damaged and destroyed, affecting an estimated 13,700 people, a mayoral spokeswoman said. The city has held off on releasing an official count of the dead, but CNN last reported the death toll at 50.

Ground zero in Tuscaloosa: Horror and hope, tears and prayers

Fairchild was sitting at home with the father of her baby when she heard a loud noise and looked out the window and saw a tornado heading for her house.

"We ran and just dove under the sink and the whole house lifted up and started to go with the wind, and we were just praying to God the whole time and all I could think about was my baby,” Fairchild said Saturday as she sat in the shelter's cafeteria.

Before the storm had ended, she was running down the hill to see if her mother's home was still there.

"They pulled nails out of my feet where I had to run through my house. We had to climb over a huge tree that landed on our house that was blocking the door, and I had to climb over that tree. I was determined to get to my son."

The child was unharmed. Fairchild's mother and the boy's father also survived, but their homes were destroyed.

Fairchild hopes to leave the shelter soon and move into an apartment. Her first Mother's Day wasn’t supposed to be like this.

"He's a blessing. I get to tell him he lived through a tornado at 8 weeks old."

Post by:
Filed under: Alabama • Tornadoes • Weather
  1. True Freedom to Associate

I think it is laughable to me that some of you pretend that uneducated "bubbas" and hicks are the only ones who detest the wanton promotion of race mixing and the anti-whites-for-whites campaign. Nothing is ever said about other groups who preserve their racial and cultural heritage.

We're not a fringe group of "bubbas". There are more of us in this silent majority who are tired of the propaganda scheme against whites. it started with Ruth Benedict and the race denial propaganda cartoons, and continues today with the witch hunt against those who think that preserving their culture and race is a necessity.

May 8, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Somkott

The guys are upset that this incredibly beautiful white female found joy in the arms of a black man. Well they better believe because this is the reality.
    Gone are days when interracial dating was banned. Women have the right to choose which man they want to be with.
    hahaha Im happy for womens liberation. More power to freedom to date whoever a person likes.

May 9, 2011 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Joel

If you think she is attractive, you need to get some glasses. This creature is homely at best. The animal that she hatched is even worse.

May 9, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Brex

Go White! I'm glad to see there are still intelligent people out there. Race mixing down, white race protection up!

May 9, 2011 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  4. David

A link from Stormfront was posted to this thread, which is why you see the racial comments. These are losers who sit at the computer all day and hate there lives, so they have to come up with some way to make themselves seem better then others. Race is what they use. Pay no attention to them. They are miniscule and retarded folk.

May 9, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • True Freedom to Associate

Nice ad hom fail. The truth is evident in the propaganda campaign and media race war perpetuated by the media and education lobbyists.

May 9, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  5. Heather

Thank you for your coverage of this horrible natural disaster. I am a native of Tuscaloosa, and live in Atlanta. I am working with local grassroots disaster relief organizations to aids those in need. PLEASE CONTINUE COVERAGE OF THIS DISASTER. This needs national attention – there are still thousands displaced and communities devastated! Follow my blog at http://www.tuscaloosavoicesofrecovery.blogspot.com

May 9, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rose

Is no one getting that the only reason they picked this girl out is because she has a mixed (non-white) baby? That's CNN, they've been doing this for years. It's no surprise to me. These people don't even see that their being brain-washed, there's no point in trying to give them your point of view. If they had it their way, they'd kill all racially aware whites.

May 9, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • True Freedom to Associate

Thank you Rose!

They are already brainwashed. The programmed response is to automatically reject the opinion of racially and culturally aware whites. Non-whites defending their race and culture is lauded -whites doing the same thing are racists.

May 9, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Brittni

Do you realize how many men, women, and children have been displaced by this horrific storm? The place where this young lady is staying was not a shelter two weeks ago. It was a recreation center. Now, it is not only a temporary home for families, but also a volunteer registration site and supply distribution center.

I don't understand how some of you can speak so ill of someone who almost lost her 8-week-old son to the biggest tornado that Tuscaloosa has seen since 1932!

You call Alabamians stupid hicks, but I have never read so much ignorance in all my life. You should be ashamed of your defamatory comments and then get over it and either send monetary donations to your tornado disaster relief foundation of choice or travel down to Alabama and help the families that lost everything.

May 9, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Truth

Let us count the many great things about Black people..[hah]

-Ghettos! Check.
    -Gang raping "dim white wiminzz. Check.
    -Ruining entire cities. Check [Detroit, New Orleans, Washington DC, Compton, South Central, Harlem etc etc etc]
    -Ruining entire nations. Check. [Haiti, ANY black African country, ANY region with a black majority]
    -Low IQ. Check. Blacks average a IQ of 80-85 vs the average IQ of whites at 100, and the average IQ of Non Africans in general is 95. So yes, blacks really are that stupid.
    -Being promiscous. Check. 80% of Black children are born out of wedlock. 80%! 60% of Black women who have more than two children, have children who each have different fathers. Aids is also not surprisingly, highest amongest blacks.
    -Crime. Blacks commit 10x more crimes on average than White people do. That is a fact.
    -Prison. Blacks represent 51% of all people in US Prisons, yet they only make up 13% of the US population, obviously they are crime prone.
    -Social services abuse. Black people are 7x more likely to be on welfare than White people are [work in not in their blood].

Inventions.
    White people have invented nearly everything we use in the modern world...Black people have invented...Peanut butter. Wow. Great.

Black majority cities.
    Detroit. Poorest and most crime wrecked city in the US.
    New Orleans, another crime prone city.
    Once the whites fled Detroit it turned to what it is today – trash.

Race mixing.
    Black men love dim "white wiminz", and they love dim Asian and Latino wiminz to...heck they love anything that can walk on two feet. Black men are also prone to knocking up a dumb white "womanz" and then skipping town. That is better known as a "mud-skipper" [black guy skipping town after knocking up a dumb white woman with a brown turd baby].

May 9, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mike

once you go black we dont want you back. this girl probly has AIDS already. thanks kaffirs!

May 10, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  10. RACHEL

ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO HAS SAID SOMETHING BAD ABOUT LEICIA SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT KIND OF LIFE THIS GIRL HAS LIVED. SHE IS A SWEET GIRL WHO HAS LOST EVERYTHING SHE HAD IN A MATTER OF MINUTES AND SHE DIDN'T LIVE IN GOVERMENT HOUSING SHE PAID HER RENT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!!

May 10, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • RACHEL

SHE DOESN'T HAVE ANY KIND OF STDS EITHER HER BABY'S FATHER IS THE ONLY MAN SHE HAS EVER BEEN WITH YALL NEED HELP

May 10, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. spectral

Welcome to america hahahaha

Want REAL change?

RON PAUL 2012

September 30, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kyle

It is painful to hear humans speak of other humans as trash. Why do we, the 79% Christian Americans, look at those who are not as rich or educated as trash? My morality is based on my observations. Life is sacred, science reveals existent truth and all humans have equivalent potential to experience the wonders of life. In my experience, those who judge are hiding something they hate about themselves. It all starts with thoughts and speech. I tell my daughter that her emotions are like a wild stallion and when that stallion is broken and put into submission to her will then she will have he greatest and most powerful stallion which will set her apart. To rise above you have to earn it. You don't get it by birth, social class or skin color. It comes through shed blood, sweat and tears; lest no one should boast.

"Where they burn books, at the end they also burn people." Heinrich Heine
    "And the tongue is a fire; it is the power of evil placed in our bodies, making all the body unclean, putting the wheel of life on fire, and getting its fire from hell." James

May 7, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. fpbiv375

I agree with Kyle on the education point. I have lived in the deep south and currently reside in Boston,MA. I find southerners to be warm and friendly. My southern neighbors were much more cordial and outgoing. Just because people talk slow doesn't mean they think slow. All the bankers and lobbyist are educated people that have the morals of an alley cat. I'll take honest people any day of the week over our current elected officials! Try to pull their game in Alabama and you're gonna get caught short!!!

May 8, 2011 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  14. PEOPLE ARE SO IGNORANT

why not take a spelling class beofre putting yourself above others

May 8, 2011 at 5:31 am | Report abuse |
  15. Random Arrow

Thank you Kyle! Wish you were a neighbor here in Vermont.

May 8, 2011 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |