Gotta Watch: Amazing flood rescues
A girl swims to a nearby tree to wait to be rescued from rising floodwaters.
May 9th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Amazing flood rescues

Inevitably there will be swollen rivers that catch people before they can escape and, each year, brave rescuers wade into rising waters to help others to safety. In light of the extreme flooding of the mighty Mississippi, we've highlighted some of the most courageous rescues from past flooding episodes.

Teen clings to tree in swollen river – This video shows the harrowing rescue of Raquel Dawson, a teenager who had decided to walk to work and was caught in a flash flood in Oklahoma City. For more, you can watch a full interview with the teen here.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2010/06/14/vo.ok.flood.victim.tree.kwtv.kotv"%5D

Woman trapped in flooded car – Earlier this month an elderly woman, was caught in her car, a scenario many people who live near flood zones face.  Her rescue was caught on tape.

[cnn-video url="http://cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2011/05/04/mo.woman.rescued.monatlguard"%5D

Terrified teens hang on – You can hear the shivering chatter of these teenaged girls as fast-moving water rushes by. These girls await rescue in what seems to be some pretty chilly waters.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/04/07/von.wktv.teens.rescued.wktv"%5D

1. Jeff Frank - (R-Ohio)

Two teenage girls lost their lives near where I live, in this scenario, about 10 years ago. Trouble is, it's preventable.

May 9, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • wompas

Well unfortunately for a teenage girl common sense is an unobtainable goal for at least 20 more years. How did they even end up in that creek?

May 9, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

Easy, rivers don't flood uniformaly. It can not be raining and the river suddenly rise by a few feet in a few seconds. I saw this happen first hand from a safe elevation. It had rained in the next county, and the flood just came downstream. We got a heads up fortunitly. Sometimes, the best common sence does you know good.

May 9, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. cesar troll

Unfortunately it doesnt take long for flood water to swipe away a car or person. .

May 9, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • iamthefreman

May 9, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Iam: You obviously know nothing about flash floods. The water can come from storms so far away you have no hint of a problem. And when the water arrives it may rise faster than you can walk. If you are not familiar with the area and happen to be in the wrong place, you very likely will be in trouble before you realize it. Please, just stick to a subject you know something about. Flash floods isn't it.

May 9, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. yash

After watching these videos i've got an idea that schools should provide self-rescue training at some extend ,so that people could save their own lives or somebody's life in need.

May 9, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sakes

Who's gonna fund it? Tough economic times has districts cutting spending all round, it would not be a priority.

May 9, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • iamthefreman

These kids must be Special Ed. How do you get stuck in flood? Why are you not on high ground and indoors? There is no such thing as a "flash flood". When it rains in your flood-prone area, you know when the waters will start rising. It is NOT a surprise. Idiots.

May 9, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

Hey IAM, guess what, water flows down hill. Did you know, that it can rain in other places other then where you are at? Amazing! I would say more, but I get the opinion you just aren't bright enough to understand how fast nature can attack, and without you having a clue it's going to happen.

May 9, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. iamthefreman

Every time I see articles and photos of people drwoning or being resuced like this I just wonder what the hell is wrong with them? What are you doing staning in or near a river? The flood waters have been rising for days and its all over the news. You LIVE in the area so you know the flood is coming. How on Earth do you get stuck in a flood? The 93y/o lady in a car by herself in the middle of the flattest land on Earth with not a high point for miles in the photo. Why is she out there?? Two teenage girls should be in school or at least at home. When the water gets your shoes wet, you run home and close the door. When the water is over your shoes, you go to the second floor. How do you get stuck in a flood?? Please tell me.....I'm waiting................

May 9, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • NICK

Things happen.. not everyone is as wise as you. Not everyone has there face glued to the 24 hour news networks 23 hours a day like you. cut em some slack. they prolly lost almost everything in the flood and almost there lives. Its very easy to underestimate mother nature for some. so relax and go yell at a dog for not understanding you when you tell it to do something.

May 9, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. iamthefreman

When you need to be plucked from a tree by two frogmen and a helicopter, you really were not paying attention to the flood warnings. Wake UP !!!!!

May 9, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. iamthefreman

How come the two rescue workers can calmly walk through the knee-high water to the girls?? Why can't the stupid girls just walk out of the water just like the rescuers did? Stupid girls !! Proof of the failure of the education system in Utica, NY.

May 9, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • NICK

im sure those rescue workers are slightly stronger then the teenagers... I mean really dude? put the pipe and the bottle down

May 9, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. iamthefreman

If I did what these two girls did when I was a kid, after it was over my father would smack me in the back of the head and say "Maybe that'll knock some sense into you.". Should be done here. Thanks Dad.

May 9, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dana

Does blaming the victim make you feel better about your daddy beating you? Shut up ... and please don't have kids.

May 9, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tina

To iamthefreman idiot - there most certainly is such a thing as a flash food. There are certain scenarios that can cause a flash flood. No notice at all. And it can happen even if you are not in a flood zone!!!! It happened to my entire neighborhood. 5 inches of rain in 20 minutes can do alot of damage. And if sewers get clogged or there are other drainage issues people are unaware of, things can and do happen. Do your homework before you speak.

May 9, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Fish

I bet all these people rescued are going to buy esurance now because they showed a commercial before their rescue video... Unbelievable! Glad they made it out OK.

May 9, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Seph Kennedy

I'm glad they made it out fine. I am not going to insult anyone, I just wonder how the teens ended up in the creek. And they DO teach you in schools that if something like that happens, you wait for help. Take it from someone whos learning. And I have to say to most of you, this is sad. Iamthefreman, I think that they all were doing what they thought best. And they most likely were panicked. So don't be calling them shallow and idiotic. Realy, does an 11 year old HAVE to say this to you?

May 9, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

I"m glad you mentioned panicked. I was toobing down a river when I got flipped. For the first few seconds, I panicked. I could not tell up from down, left or right, all I could do was thrash like an idiot. Then I calmed down, thought about my sutaion, and realized, oh, put your feet down idiot, yeah, I actually said that in my mind. I did, pushed up, and was fine. You would be suprised how much panich can incopasitate a person. (sorry for the spelling).

May 9, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JO

What is a 93 year old woman doing driving in the first place?

May 9, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Greg

"How do you get stuck in a flood?? Please tell me.....I'm waiting................"

I believe the video states that the girls were in a small boat that had capsized.

May 10, 2011 at 5:11 am | Report abuse |
  13. Nick

wow Iamthefreman, spam much? Unintelligent troll. You clearly know absolutely nothing about floods and have NO experience with them whatsoever, otherwise you wouldn't say such painfully stupid things...

May 10, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Kris Aquino of http://lånebasen.dk/

Floods are all over news these days. I pity those people who struggle from this. Calamities are terrifying.

November 4, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |