Jaycee Dugard memoir set for July release
Jaycee Dugard's "A Stolen Life" will be released this summer.
May 9th, 2011

Jaycee Dugard memoir set for July release

Jaycee Dugard, who was held captive for 18 years after her kidnapping by a California couple at age 11, will release a memoir telling "the full story of her ordeal" this summer, the book's publisher said Monday.

Dugard's "A Stolen Life," due in stores July 12, will cover the period from her 1991 abduction to the present, publisher Simon & Schuster said.

"In her stark, compelling narrative, she opens up about what she experienced, including how she feels now since she was found," the publisher said in a news release.

Monday's announcement comes less than two weeks after Phillip Garrido, 60, and Nancy Garrido, 55, pleaded guilty to Dugard’s kidnapping and sexual assault. Both are expected to receive life prison terms at a sentencing hearing scheduled for June 2.

Dugard was 29 when authorities found her in August 2009 in a hidden compound behind the Garridos' home in Antioch, California, about 120 miles from where she grew up. Phillip Garrido, a registered sex offender on parole at the time of his 2009 arrest, sexually assaulted Dugard and fathered two daughters with her during her captivity, authorities said.

Dugard, now 31, was kidnapped in 1991 from the street in front of her home in South Lake Tahoe, California.

Post by:
Filed under: California • Crime • Jaycee Dugard
  1. StepUp

I think the whole thing is AWESOME and I commend her 4 writing such a book. Courageous move. Sometimes we can be 'kidnapped' in marriage w/o even knowing it until the mate puts the crunch on 10 years later – like in my case. My love hijacked, misplaced & taken 4 granted but the tyrant I used 2 proudly call husband is nothing like the man I married! Write a book if your heart desires over anything u want. It's liberating! Congratulations to physical freedom & may the mind, body & spirit follow 🙂

May 10, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  2. JM

The realize just how cruel this world is when you find hateful comments as some here regarding a story of a little girl kidnapped and abused for years and tells her story in the form of a book and all the hate mongers come out. It does not matter the reasons. It was HER reasons and that should be good enough for anyone.

May 10, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  3. penilesmile

Hi, just read the memoir. It was refreshing and funny. You just can't make up this kind of comedy these days.

May 10, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
    • George

Considering that the book doesn't come out until July, I would say you are fibbing a bit. I'd use a stronger term but that wouldn't be nice in a public forum.

May 10, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Starry

You are one of the reasons society is so messed up these days. Just from your "name" it seems apparent that you have some kind of perversion. Lucky us, another idiot on the streets.

May 10, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  4. George

The people who don't think that this will be good for Dugard don't know of what they speak. For one thing, it is cathartic. Also, it give her something that she can say that she accomplished in her life. And those that say that she is doing it for the money don't get it either. Yes, it is a source of money. She needs a source of income for herself and her children so what's wrong with that? Also, the money also gives her a sense that she has accomplished something and turned 18 years of h*ll into something of value. Give this woman a break. If you want to be snarky, go find a story on a politician. They chose to put themselves in that position.

May 10, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  5. Will

I've been watching Google for news on this since the day of discovery, and I have to say it's a truly remarkable story. I'm just glad she's alive and well and safe and truly able to enjoy life again! Would I buy and read the book? No. I think I've read all I care to know about her story at this point. If it helps her to get it out, then good for her!

May 10, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  6. sneezy

So what if she's making money off of something she lived through. Journalists do it, Oprah does it. If you and I had the opportunity to tell our lives and know that we'd make a load of money off of it, we would. If you say you wouldn't then you're self-righteous liar. Quit hating on her. You'd think she'd been through enough. I know tons of people with degrees and they still spell like a first grader. So have most of you 'educated' commenters. Just be happy she's making the best of a very traumatic and ugly situation. Each one of you need to sgt down and seriously think about how she was treated those years. She didn't make the choice to not go to school. And she loves her children. Most wack jobs would've turned to self loathing and or murder/suicide. This woman is strong. Let her be.

May 10, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  7. banasy

@Big Paulie: except that book was a work of fiction. She actually *experienced* this, poor lady. Compassion much?

May 10, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy

@sneezy: beautiful. Well done.

May 10, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tami

Obviously this is something she needed to do so I support her 1000%. I will buy the book to read and also to support she and her girls. What a beautiful girl and very smart also. I wish her only happiness and luck in the future.

July 11, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |