Gotta Watch: Crazy prom antics
iReporter Martrese White, left, shared her prom picture. She came up with the design for the dress and crafted her accessories.
May 12th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Crazy prom antics

It's that time of year again - the annual high school rite of passage know as prom season. That means crafty dresses, unusual dates, creative proposals and questionable fashions that are sure to haunt you in a decade. So get into the prom spirit; check out these prom antics and share your prom pictures.

Prom proposal gone wrong – What began as a thoughtful gesture ended in a prom ban. When a student presented his prom proposal by writing it out on a school building, his date was flattered, but the administration wasn’t amused. It banned him from the dance.

I'm too sexy for my prom – This may not be the skimpiest prom dress ever, but it was racy enough to get a senior escorted from her prom in handcuffs.

The real senior prom – A boy decides to take his 95-year-old great-grandmother to his prom because she had never attended one before.

Post by:
Filed under: Dance • Gotta Watch • iReport • U.S.
  1. jmop

Adorable that he is going to take is Great Grandma to the prom! I hope she's ready to see a different style of dancing that she is used to though! As for hte girl who was not allowed into her prom, I say, Good for them! No way that is acceptable attire unless your in the Red Light District. Taste and modesty have gone out the window, and I applaud the school district for holding firm and not allowing her to enter dressed like that. I do however believe that they shlould have refunded her money. What was she thinking?! And what were her parents thinking! Parents, don't let your kids go out looking like trash! Your house, your rules, help them reclaim their self-respect. I wish more schools would implament and enfore dresscodes to keep crap like that out of the school systems!

May 12, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. USN Atheist

In ref to the skimpy dress. I agree that the school should have refunded her money unless if it was noted in advance that no refunds would be given for breaking of school/prom rules. At some point while she was deciding what to wear she had to have thought that the dress may prevent her from going to her prom...that or she is a complete idiot. No use in crying over this incident little girl, if you continue to dress in a manner that is unacceptable to the enviroment you are in you will continue to be treated like the trash you were looking like on prom night.

May 12, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. SMA

They could have kicked out the girl in the skimpy dress WITHOUT having her escorted out in HANDCUFFS!

May 12, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • jmop

Did you not watch it? She was basically refusing to leave and trying to start a fight. That can lead to being escorted away from a PRIVATE event in which you are not permitted to attend. If she would have left she would not have gotten put in handcuffs. She said the only options they gave her were to go home or get arrested....she OPTED to be arrested. She could have went home peacefully.

May 12, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

Something tells me this young lady was not very cooperative. I'm pretty sure that the administration went through all options before resorting to this one.

May 12, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Michael

I am sick of myself!

I love how banasy gets on here and tells us how she is blessed with a wonderful family and telling us her stories.

And the rapport with her gang of buddies is so fun to read. They should to do it more!

Banasy, you and your sista sound like people I'd like to meet online. Do me a favor and tell me how to make friends.

Txt or call your buddies and tell them I need friends! Don't ever get off of these blogs.

May 12, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Johnson

I don't think they should be banned I think they should have their own prom complete with kool aid, fried chicken and felons....don't forget your bullet proof vests kids and remember to use the crack buffet in moderation!

May 12, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. MPLArms

Were we expected to understand a word she said?
    Where is Mom and Dad?...oh....never mind.

May 12, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. PHinMiami

yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Bet her high school is really proud of her language skills. . . . "Do you want fries with that?".

May 12, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mariposa

He pasted cut out letters on the wall. He didn't paint it. The letters can be removed. He didn't do anything damaging at all. What a bummer. He deserves a medal for imagination and good taste. Let him go!!!!

May 12, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Heann

I think its called a prom not a PORM – she has the body for sure but thats all apparently. I predict 6 kids by age 28 and no live-in daddy. Although I wouldnt mind volunteering for building #7
    Stay classy yo

May 12, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Meh

The reporter is able to speak clearly and is obviously very articulate while the future junkie hot little black bim isnt able to speak 2 proper words of english at all. I just dont get the common black dialect at all. It sounds southern yet you all hate southerners since they owned your relatives apparently. Its so clearly an obvious choice that each african-american decides on being easy to understand or not that I guess I will just never understand...

May 12, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • David, CA

Because ALL black people talk that way. Jesus, racist much?

May 12, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • J

Not all. Most but not all. Of those living in the poorer/ganged up areas- pretty much all.

May 12, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. tori

What a bunch of bigoted ignorant losers most of you are! I can’t see you now red necks with you wife beaters missing teeth calling someone else trash. Take a look in the mirror!

May 12, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • AngieR

Um, Tori, you just did EXACTLY what you accused them of doing. Being a racist.....I'm Mexican, not a redneck, and I totally agree with what they said. I canNOT understand what the girl is trying, and not succeeding , to communicate. And yet the few African Americans I have met that are educated and well-spoken are made fun of by their peers as being a traitor to their race, "acting" white, etc. Why? Because they CHOSE to get an education, against all odds, and know how to speak proper English?? ?? The incorrect grammar, accusing tone, and twisted sympathies of your message imply that YOU are one of them. Wait a minute....why am I taking th etime to post this then?? It's useless, LOL.

May 12, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Burbank

What audience is this intended for? I'm sure 99% of the people that read CNN left their prom days behind long ago and don't really care about this kind of thing any longer. Must be a slow news day, this would be a better article for teen magazine.

May 12, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • JustMe

Why do you click on a 'Prom' headline then?

May 12, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. tori

Um, mexican and your taking about proper english? collect your welfare checks and go back to TJ with your 8 kids and enjoy!

May 12, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Management

All Comments Are Awaiting Moderation

May 12, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. The prom is about the kids, not the admin

The dress was great. I wouldn't wear it, but a girl with a beautiful body like that should have a chance to show it off a bit. Lord knows she won't have it in 10 years. The kid and the paper cut out letters stuck to the wall, what harm does that cause? His punishment should have been to clean it up.
    What these heavy handed school admins forget is that the prom is about the kids, not the admins. The schools do a horrible job compared to international standards, and then they also ruin the one good thing the kids can have at the end.

May 12, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |