Leopards, panthers, bear, other animals saved from luggage at Thai airport
A baby panther receives veterinary treatment after being rescued from luggage at a Bangkok airport Friday.
May 13th, 2011

Leopards, panthers, bear, other animals saved from luggage at Thai airport

Thai police confiscated two leopards, two panthers, an Asiatic black bear, one macaque monkey and one marmoset from the luggage of a man as he tried to board a flight from Bangkok to Dubai on Friday, Thai authorities and an anti-trafficking group reported.

The animals were alive and received immediate veterinary care, according to the group, the FREELAND Foundation, which monitored the arrest.

The suspect, Noor Mahmoodr, a citizen of the United Arab Emirates, was charged with possessing endangered wildlife and smuggling endangered wildlife, said Col. Kiattipong Khaosum-arng of the Thai nature crime police. Mahmoodr was released on bail pending trial, police said.

“We believe Mahmoodr has done this several times already, and there is a network involved in this case,” Kiattipong told CNN.

He said police received a tip that the smuggling attempt would happen Friday morning and were waiting at the airport to make an arrest.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Bears • Crime • Thailand • World
  1. Sandy

Moron!

May 13, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. angryman

How did he think he was going to get away with this, the security at Bangkok Airport was some of the strictest I've seen- multiple waits for repeated passport checks, metal detectors.. Maybe the baggage handling is more lax or he paid someone off..

May 13, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Stargazer

That's one beautiful animal in the photo. How someone could put it in a box and try to take it on an airplane, I just can't imagine. There really are some losers in this world. This guy is going to find out what it's like to be caged...

May 13, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. tttt

Couldn't afford tickets.

May 13, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Lala

Poor babies. They should find out where he was heading and out the buyer in Dubai. The rich pos won't stop trying to collect animals.

May 13, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. FloridaDave

Just how did they get that young a panther away from its mother? The chain of custody has to be bigger than this one creep.

May 13, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • nancheska

You know that's right.

May 13, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jennifer

Wow, the luggage policy for his airline must be fantastic! I can't even get my make-up on board.

May 13, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Oh, Jenny, you are so funny! And about such a hilarious topic: cruelty to animals. Lost luggage and mistreated infant wild animals! You need to take that act on the road. Sell out crowds, I'm sure.

May 13, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Baby Kitties

I don't think it's necessarily the security at Bangkok airport. I've been there. It's the most chaotic thing I've ever seen. But, you put your bags through an x-ray in all airports, and they didn't actually catch him until they were anonymously told about it... so yeah.

May 13, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Another Jennifer

John, I don't think she was trying to be funny. I think her point was that with all the security our luggage goes through here, it's sometimes difficult to get everyday items on board with you, but apparently over there luggage doesn't go through the same scanning process and it takes an anonymous tip to catch a sub-human committing a heinous act such as this.

May 13, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

It's called sarcasm, John. You attempted some yourself, but it just didn't work. Keep practicing You'll be okay.

May 13, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Another Jennifer (how original!): Last time I checked, genius, sarcasm was humor. Ergo, my original point.

May 13, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

My apologies, Jen2, that was meant to be directed at Sam I Am.

May 13, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ART

Dubai should be next on our list for the Navy seals, they are currently holding and torturing American citizens.

May 13, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • W2m

Hardly. the people being tortured in the UAE are the poor near slaves from all over the middle east and asia who are building all those huge buildings for the rich Emrates

May 13, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Shinden58

Extradite the slime in Dubai that would be the ultimate purchaser of these animals and arrange for a play date with the mother of one of these baby animals. You should problably hog tie the purchaser before the date, I would not want the mother injured. The purchaser I could care less about as far as injuries go.

May 13, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jim

He will get his hand slapped, while there is an american tourist in UAE that is going to do 6 years for possessing handcuffs. Truely a backwards country if there ever was...

May 13, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. carissa

thats so sad ::;((((

May 13, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. nyc

Poor anomals and this guy has a history of smuggling ? Why is he free to continue doing this ? Have him stoned to death in his country ! Send a message !

May 13, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Phil in KC

In luggage? That's inhumane. Besides being scared and cooped up in a dark confined place that's being jostled about, the luggage holds of many aircraft are not pressurized or heated. Which mean they could easily die. What a jerk! He should be horse-whipped.

May 13, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • JerBear

I agree, Phil! If you don't already know about it, you should read up on the conditions animals are forced to live in in factory farms in order to provide us with cheap animal products to eat. It's ghastly and disgusting!! And this isn't 6 animals we're talking about, it's millions!

May 13, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. 3lwood

For all of you commenting "this is so sad," you do realize that this happens on an industrialized scale every day in America just so you can have your stupid chicken nuggets, right?

May 13, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hmm

Yeah but chickens aren't cute like that little baby panther. So clearly there's a huge difference.

On a more serious note though, chickens aren't endangered, neither are cows. Many of these animals are.

May 13, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • JerBear

Exactly, 3lwood! Thank you! People get up in arms over animal abuse stories and then head to the grocery store to load up on chicken breast, milk, and eggs. It's hypocritical and disgusting. Someone needs to let them know that they are literally PAYING for atrocities like these to happen to millions of animals every day!

May 13, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kittycat

I made the choice to only eat meat from humane and organic farms (which I can get at local farmer's markets. It is more expensive, but it tastes better and you are welcome to visit these farms to see how the animals are raised (I will be doing that this summer, but I can already tell from the website that these animals live as naturally as possible. I will never buy meat at a supermarket again. I wish I could stop eating it altogether, but so far, not too much luck with that. I do eat much less meat than I used to, however.

May 13, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

But chickens are delicious and don't have sad eyes.

Also, try not to help JerBear stay all whipped into a frenzy. He's doing awesome by himself on that awesome soapbox. On second thought...maybe copy-paste your opinion 7 more times to make sure we get it.

May 13, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • JerBear

Haha I love this soapbox! It's a really worthwhile one. And it bears as much repeating as possible, because there are a lot of dense people out there who will act shocked at animal abuse if it's species x, but literally FUND animal abuse if it's species y and tastes good.

But I'm happy to hear you "got it!" Glad I could reach someone! 🙂

May 13, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Emilio Esteves

Arabs are such trash

May 13, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • sickofmorons

And you are such a racist loser. It equals out apparently.

May 13, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |