Space Shuttle Endeavour lifts off for final mission
May 16th, 2011

Space Shuttle Endeavour lifts off for final mission

The space shuttle Endeavour lifted off on its last mission Monday morning, NASA said.

The shuttle's mission is commanded by Mark Kelly. His wife, U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Arizona, arrived safely at the Kennedy Space Center Sunday, NASA said, four months after being shot in the head during an assassination attempt at a public event in Tucson, Arizona.

After initial treatment in Arizona, Giffords has been undergoing rehabilitation at the TIRR Memorial Hermann center in Houston.

Photos of the shuttle and NASA's launch countdown clock were posted on her Facebook page Monday morning.

Giffords, along with President Barack Obama, was in Florida on April 29, when Endeavour was originally slated to launch. That liftoff was scrubbed because of a problem with a heater aboard the shuttle.

Post by:
Filed under: Shuttle • Space
  1. RUFFNUTT

3 2 1....BLAST OFF!!!

May 16, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  2. Tony Gerards (The Other Side of Things)

3-2-1 maybe they will see a "santa claus" up there..... of the "Alien Sort" ...... "they're watching" and you may be the next Abductee..

May 16, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. astrology is magical

SANTA CLAUS IS REAL ! Last year he brought me a new crystal ball. I can now seeeeeee the fuuuutuuuuure !

May 16, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. RD

The shuttle program is dead, and we have no vehicle to get into orbit anymore. That's a shame I think, but Russia will still launch to service the ISS for as long as THAT lasts. So, the only current NASA program I am looking forward to now is the science returning from the New Horizon craft to photo Pluto and Charon in 4 more years. Should return some stunning photos of the dwarf planet and moons.

May 16, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  5. banasy

I saw it! It gave me goosebumps and saddened me at the same time.

The last launch I watched was the Challenger. We know what happened there. I didn't watch another until today.

May 16, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jane Bruce

11 am news displayed the launch of the Endeavour . Across the screen read, " Endeavour lauch". I think it would help if someone learns to spell!!!!!

May 16, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bobcat2u

I'm a rocket man , rocket man ! And I think it's going to be a long , long time !!!!!!!!!!!

May 16, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Q

"It is in the DNA of our great country to reach for the stars and explore. We must not stop."
    * MARK KELLY,
    * mission commander of the space shuttle Endeavour,

May 16, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |