Bird of prey snatches, 'rescues' stray poodle
May the poodle was found on the grounds of a Canadian nursing home, apparently dropped by a bird of prey.
May 17th, 2011

Bird of prey snatches, 'rescues' stray poodle

If you're a small dog, you'd probably think that being snatched by a bird of prey and whisked into the sky wouldn't be the best thing that ever happened to you.

So you've gotta hear the story of May the toy poodle.

May plopped onto the grounds of a British Columbia nursing home May 2. The nurses at Shorncliffe Nursing Home in Sechelt found the creature in very poor condition, with deep gouges on her back and multiple broken ribs, according to the British Columbia Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. The deep gouges told rescuers how she got there: clutched in the talons of a bird of prey. The dog had no identification and other maladies that led rescuers to believe she was a stray.

“In addition to the claw marks on her back and the broken ribs she sustained from the fall, all of her nails were so long they had grown into her paw pads and her teeth were badly decayed. We don’t know how long she had been wandering without care, but she was obviously very neglected. It’s ironic, but this bird may have saved her life,” Shannon Broderick, branch manager of the Sunshine Coast branch of the BCSPCA, said on the organization's website.

Shelter workers named the poodle May because of the day she was found.

“It’s an absolute miracle that she survived, and we want to do everything we can to help her,” Broderick said.

A local veterinary hospital took care of May's broken ribs and torn paw pads, but the SPCA is seeking donations to cover approximately $3,500 (U.S. $3,580) in dental work.

Check the SPCA's website here for information on how you can help.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Canada • Dogs
  1. Cricket

Awwww, poor baby.
    Some doofus owner probably abandoned her, finding the medical too cost-prohibitive.
    I once rescued a toy poodle from the side of a tool road, where somebody abandoned him.
    People are jerks at times.

May 17, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  2. Shane

$3500 in dental work? $3.5 thousand dollars? Were they capped with 24k gold? Did her gums get a tattoo with molten platinum? I'm not going to say the dog doesn't deserve $3500 in dental work, but I don't see how it is possible.

May 17, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • evoc

Doggie dentures....

May 17, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • FedUp2

I will. The dog doesn't deserve to have money wasted on it like that. There are lots of people that could use that money much more. Should of euthanized it and if they want to give money, give it to humans. It's just a dog. A snack in asia.

May 17, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • hawkechik

I do, if it's anything *close* to human dental work. Just because she's smaller doesn't mean it's going to be cheaper, especially if we're talking about replacing teeth here which is what it sounds like.

May 17, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jess

That is really immature of all of you.. the dog was neglected and yes that is alot of money but she needed it and they saved her life... look at the hell the poor thing went through and ur making a joke out of it or criticizing how much it was.... I do not get people now a days... acting like dogs or animals aren't worth the money sometimes... shouldnt have a pet yourself if you do.

May 17, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deej

It does seem excessive when you consider how many dogs could be saved for 3500 dollars. I know they have soft food for older dogs with teeth issues. But I am glad that this little doggie has been saved.

May 17, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • shamel

Jess – Are you serious? This is just an animal!!! Not $3500, and not $350, and not $35. Again - it's just an animal. The animal was suffering, so give her a $5 injection for a quick trip to doggie heaven. Get real!

May 17, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cathy

You're a terrible human being. Heartless.

May 17, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gash

Those of you using the word "animal" to set this dog apart from you need a vocabulary lesson. We are all just animals. To dismiss the life of this dog is to dismiss your own in importance and worth.

May 17, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lola

hawkechick, the teeth are not replaced. They are removed, and the dog eats soft food thereafter. The work is done under full anesthesia, and the deeper roots have to be dug out of the bones of the jaw. Surgery is charged by the minute. Anesthesia is charged separately. There are tests to be done before surgery, and the hospital care afterward. But i do agree that it is a high estimate for the work.

May 17, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • conventgirl

I live on the Sunshine Coast where this happened. There are 5 vet offices here and they all charge OUTRAGEOUS fees!! There is no need to go into details with what happens to pets whose owners cannot afford the vet bills. If possible, many of us take the ferry over to Vancouver with our pets to have them seen there for 1/2 the price.
      Eagles and woves are known for taking cats and small dogs from the area.

May 17, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diane

It absolutely is excessive. My job is approving veterinary estimates from all over the U.S. and Canada, and $3500 for this dog's dental work is ridiculous. If the teeth are as bad as they are being described, many will come out with nothing more than a firm wiggle. Shame on whoever generated that quote, many vets would take care of such a needy animal for little more than their own cost. The shelter should find themselves a new vet. It sounds like they're using a specialist. Which suggests that their regular general practice vet is not competent to do basic dental work such as extractions–so they should find themselves a new general practice vet, too.

June 1, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kimberleee

It just kills me to see animals suffering, neglected and in pain. I am sooo glad this baby was found albeit in a very strange way. I hope people line up to adopt her! I am rooting for you May!

May 17, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cricket

They might have to reconstruct some of her jaw, and remove many teeth. I had to take my rescue to Purdue Lafayette, where they do much of the specialty animal operations. My dog cost about 1800. dollars, and that was in the 70's. He lived another 5 years, so it was worth it.

May 17, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. krozareq

Dental work can be expensive. Poodles especially have a lot of costs and medical issues. If you want a more manageable dog then get a lab.

May 17, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Swimmer

We have a poodle and she hasn't cost us much at all. Where are you getting your information? Many breeds have known issues, but poodles are sturdy and have zero known problems. They are super smart and loving. We do pay $30 every six months to have her trimmed and then for regular check-ups, like every other dog owner.

May 17, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elizabeth

I'm not sure where you are getting your info either. I've had a poodle and a lab and let me tell you, I would take a poodle any day over the lab. Less health problems, easier to train, better personality, more stamina, less hair around the house, no allergies from other people who came to visit us, playful and intelligent. My poodle is now 13 and is just start starting to show signs of age. My co-worker just had a $3K vet bill as her lab broke his jaw somehow playing catch with frisbee!

May 17, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. birdsofprey

Even birds of prey don’t want to eat these good for nothing breed of canine! How about raising money for the bird! He lost a meal !

May 17, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elizabeth

Another contribution from a not well-educated human! birds of prey – you really need to get out more and learn a few things about dogs!

May 17, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • StupidDog

If I was that bird I would have flown a bit higher before I dropped it. I hate poodles!

May 17, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rahrah

You say this because you have never owned a poodle! I have 2 standard poodles , a lab, and a golden retriever. The poodles are WAY smarter, gentler, and easier to train than any other dog I have ever owned! The lab and golden are great dogs, but the standard poodle has them beat hands down!!!!!!!!

May 17, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • conventgirl

You are misinformed. I've seen eagles swoop down and take a cat. I live in the area of where this dog was dropped.

Several years ago we had a huge windstorm, a large tree fell down and it had an eagle's nest in it. Inside the nest were over 30 cat and small dog collars.

May 17, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Al

Poor little thing! I sure hope she gets all the medical attention she needs, gets adopted, and then gets lavished on the rest of her life...that's what she deserves. As for the cost of her dental work, I can totally see the cost being as much as it is. She probably needs a couple surgeries and possible jaw-work. Good luck, May!!

May 17, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Nona

My puppy cracked a molar, it became infected ... cost of dental surgery ...$1,300. Years later , cataract surgery $3,000. I declined that so now I have a blind pup.

May 17, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. aggieboy92

For $3,500, I hope May got a really nice set of Grillz. Maybe with "THUG" diamond encrusted across the upper four teeth.

May 17, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • jules

Now THAT would be awesome.

May 17, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Cricket

@birds: ha ha. Clever.

May 17, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Canadian Genius

Nursing home, eh.....

Maybe it wasn't a bird of prey. Maybe one of the old guys got hungry and sunk his dentures into a stray, then pummeled it for a while when it fought back.

May 17, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. A Noun

This isn't a poodle. This is a Bichon Frise.

May 17, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. fnugget

$3500 doesnt cover gold and diamonds, it covers the pay for vets. How many people do you know work in animal dental surgery?
    Plus, they think someone will probably buy that poodle, almost just for the novelty of it.

May 17, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Funny guy

I'm glad a dog's dental work is just as expensive as humans.

May 17, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Really?

Jason- You are a POS. Making comments about a poor defenseless creature. May you one day be wounded with no help in sight.

May 17, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Tissue?

May 17, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barbara

Don' worry – there are miserable "people" just like Jason everywhere – and they seem to gravitate to stories about animals so they can put some depraved message on the board in order to try to shock others with their loser mentality. Just ignor him.

May 17, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |