Bird of prey snatches, 'rescues' stray poodle
May the poodle was found on the grounds of a Canadian nursing home, apparently dropped by a bird of prey.
May 17th, 2011

Bird of prey snatches, 'rescues' stray poodle

If you're a small dog, you'd probably think that being snatched by a bird of prey and whisked into the sky wouldn't be the best thing that ever happened to you.

So you've gotta hear the story of May the toy poodle.

May plopped onto the grounds of a British Columbia nursing home May 2. The nurses at Shorncliffe Nursing Home in Sechelt found the creature in very poor condition, with deep gouges on her back and multiple broken ribs, according to the British Columbia Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. The deep gouges told rescuers how she got there: clutched in the talons of a bird of prey. The dog had no identification and other maladies that led rescuers to believe she was a stray.

“In addition to the claw marks on her back and the broken ribs she sustained from the fall, all of her nails were so long they had grown into her paw pads and her teeth were badly decayed. We don’t know how long she had been wandering without care, but she was obviously very neglected. It’s ironic, but this bird may have saved her life,” Shannon Broderick, branch manager of the Sunshine Coast branch of the BCSPCA, said on the organization's website.

Shelter workers named the poodle May because of the day she was found.

“It’s an absolute miracle that she survived, and we want to do everything we can to help her,” Broderick said.

A local veterinary hospital took care of May's broken ribs and torn paw pads, but the SPCA is seeking donations to cover approximately $3,500 (U.S. $3,580) in dental work.

Check the SPCA's website here for information on how you can help.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Canada • Dogs
  1. Buster Bloodvessel

I think I'm gonna go tie a can to Jason's mom's tail, if you know what I mean.

May 17, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ManEagle

Why is this even a newsworthy story? ... wow

May 17, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • conventgirl

Probably because it isn't often that a dog will drop from the sky......

May 17, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Donna

I am so glad the doggie is getting a second chance at life – hopefully this time whoever adopts him won't throw him away like yesterday's trash.

May 17, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Nephi

How can anyone say that May isn't worth it? They'd soon want their selfish hides saved if they were in trouble. Anyway, what a heart-warming story. Little May is worth every penny! I love how the bird of prey saved May, albeit possibly unintentionally. And well done to the BCSPCA. Keep up the great work! A donation is coming your way. Love from the UK.

May 17, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. T

$36 feeds a child for a year. $3600 feeds 100 children for a year.

May 17, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • nosferatu

Birth control would be even cheaper.

May 17, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • good idea

Right. Let's let all other living things suffer, just so all the children in the world can be taken care of.

May 17, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian C

Where do you buy food for $0.09/day/child?

May 17, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • chris

36$ per kid a year wow I cant feed my kid for that a year you must be one of those people who do not feed there kids!!

May 17, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Buffalosix

The difference is that the dog is at our mercy.

May 17, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • T

At your mercy: https://secure3.convio.net/ffp/site/Donation2?df_id=3780&3780.donation=form1

Birth control won't stop a live child from starving.

And I think it's better to feed 100 kids for a year and let a dog pass away, yes.

May 17, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • T

not opposed to helping the dog. totally fine with it.

May 17, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Krista

Seriously, $3500 is dental work. That is ridiculous. Over charged. You can remove all the teeth for a couple hundred bucks

May 17, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pleblo

And the internet feeds arrogant, self-righteous jerks for ever.

May 17, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • T

lol... no one's casting stones here. Just pointing out that the "faceless" don't always get the help they really need. Super cute dog = give all the help we can. Totally fine with that. the dog deserves sympathy and as much compassion as we can give. All too often, though... brown face from other side of the world = ignore because it's a hopeless cause... too many mouths to feed, should never have been born in the first place, just encouraging dependency, etc etc. terrible excuses for us not giving a bit more for those who can't help themselves. (and as aside, interesting how we treat the "faceless" who post comments and judge them by the few words they offer as thoughts. turns out people are more than their 20 word thought on CNN.)

May 17, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pat

How did this make news and why are you people arguing about a dog's dental work. The bird was trying to eat the dog and now its a miracle and it needs more dental work than I have ever needed...

May 17, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • tdr920

If ya can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em.

May 17, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • conventgirl

Why does it need to be one way or another.....kids being fed vs. dog being saved. Le't be honest here......there is enough money/food to do both. One does not negate the other.

May 17, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. gman21

Good business. Do unsolicitated dental work and bill $3500 – then get the money from people with good hearts. Why didn't the ripoff doc bill $30000 instead?

May 17, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mary

We're supposed to take care of everything that can't take care of itself. That's called HUMANITY, you morons.

May 17, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Really? Im pretty sure Webster calls it something else

May 17, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • marv

good call, Mary!! Most people don't get it.

May 17, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gogia

mary,
      I thank God for people like you.

May 17, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Donna

JUST A DOG

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog,"
    or "that's a lot of money for just a dog."

They don't understand the distance travelled, the time spent,
    or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog."

Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog,"
    but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought aobut by
    "just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch
    of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you probably understand
    phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship,
    trust, and pure unbridled joy.
    "Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience
    that make me a better person.
    Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look
    longingly to the future.

So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog"
    but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future,
    the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts
    away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that its' not "just a dog"
    but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being
    "just a man" or "just a woman."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog,"
    just smile,
    because they "just don't understand."

~Unknown Author~

May 17, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Buffalosix

Beautiful poem. I wish I could "just smile" to those who don't understand. Instead I feel deep pity that someone could be that hollow on the inside. Sometimes I think dogs are more spiritually refined creatures compared to us.

May 17, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • hts

u r awesome. dogs r awesome. 🙂

May 17, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • chris

Thank you donna I agree 100% !!

May 17, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • onder

Donna – Awesome Post. Thank you for taking the time to type all of that. You have the heart of "Just a Dog". There isn't a day goes by that my dog doesn't make me laugh. She is my heart. I enjoy the long walks everyday with her. Withouth her, I would stay indoors and do nothing besides wasting life. My dog is 14 years old now. She is slowing down a bit but of those 14 years, she had enjoyed life. I take her every where. She is not "just a dog" She is my Dog.

Dogs Rule.

May 17, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anonymous...

You are amazing. This is a beautiful poem. With you all the way!

May 17, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • skytag

You can embellish it all you want, but it's just a dog, a pack animal that has been selectively bred for thousands of years to regard humans as part of its pack.

May 17, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • William Propsner

God Bless you.......and because it's 'just a dog'........God Bless him as well.

May 17, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. goodnews

Now the folks at the shelter/home/rehab and the little pup have a bit more love to give and receive.

May 17, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. IslandGirl

I hope they keep the dog. Studies have shown that elderly people with pets live longer healthier lives. Maybe he was a gift to them

May 17, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jackie

I always heard that birds of prey will drop their prey to kill them before eating them.

May 17, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • JesusCrust

Exactly! Until there's a press conference from the alleged "bird of prey" explaining its actions, I am going to assume that it either lost its grip or was trying to give the dog a death blow and just never managed to go back to get it. The simplest explanations are usually the correct ones.. no need to drag the word "miracle" into this whole thing either.

May 17, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Julie

Might be the perfect dog for Jessica Simpson.

May 17, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. sleestak

Several years ago, about 15 or 20 I believe, I saw a news story about a news story from Los Angeles. A news station in L.A. ran a story about an abandoned dog that needed medical care and a home. In the same broadcast, they also ran a story about a little girl who was abused, had medical problems and needed a home as well.

The next day, the news station received 4,000 calls offering money and/or a home for the dog.

No one single call came in with offers of help for the little girl. Not. One. Single. Call.

It was and is a pathetic, sad commentary on the extent of our "humanity".

So, help out the dog. Spend money on it. Give it a home. It's your money and your home, you fully have the right. Then pat yourself on the back for your "humanity" as you ignore the homeless man at the corner.

May 17, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denise

Good advice; thanks, I will. And as soon I meet a homeless dog who is in that situation because he got addicted to drugs, alcohol, whatever, I'll stop helping them too.

May 17, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meech

The little girl, because she is human, would and did receive healthcare, a lawyer to represent her, food, clothing and a safe home, since she is a child in Social Services and here in America, we protect and take care of children. There was no need to call a TV station to help, she got all the help she needed because we pay taxes and set up a system to take care of these kids. Animals have little legal rights and those rights are as property for those who are owned. I have a friend who is a director of our local DSS and she is also involved in animal rescue. It's not us against them. There should be enough compassion for all who need it.

May 17, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • sleestak

@Denise

"And as soon I meet a homeless dog who is in that situation because he got addicted to drugs, alcohol, whatever, I'll stop helping them too."

How classic. Of course, *everyone* who is homeless is there because they chose to be. Right now about 1/4 to 1/3 of homeless people are former soldiers. You know, those people that the little magnetic ribbon you probably have on your car says you "support"? Most of them have PTSD and/or brain damage from their service. As to alcohol/drug addiction, I suggest you do a search for the term 'self-medication'. Given the sorry, shameful state of mental health care we provide our veterans, self-medication is likely the *only* medication they'll ever receive. You've made it quite clear they'll get no help from the likes of you.

@Meech,
      One little thorn in you social-safety net idea there. The news story *specifically asked* for donations to help this child, and for donations to help the dog. No offers of help were forthcoming for the girl; 4,000 for the dog. I don't know where you learned math, but I learned that 4000 > 0. However you want to spin it, that's just pathetic and sad.

May 17, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • skytag

@Denise

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." – John Kenneth Galbraith

May 17, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. lulu

Dogs for the blind, the deaf, the seizure alert dogs. Dogs searching the Twin Towers for bodies. Military dogs in the Middle East protecting our service people. Police patrolling with their partner dogs. Drug sniffing dogs. Bomb sniffing dogs.

Hmmm, the dog deserves a place in this messed up world. Service and loyalty. I wish we all had their attributes. Here's a heart-tugger about dogs, if you are so inclined: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H17edn_RZoY

May 17, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bryan

Its become a sad day when veterinarians are so jealous of their human doctor counterparts that they started charging such exorbitant prices for their services. That and preying on people's love of their animals. And don't give me any BS about it, its only been in the last 5-10 years that they have started charging like that. If I'm not right, why did it take so long???? Because in the last 10-15 years peoples companion animals have become more important, hence the greedy pricing!

May 17, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • conventgirl

You're right.. Vets here are greedy and now people everywhere know that the vets on the Sunshine Coast are as greedy as we have been complaining about for years.

May 17, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |