Bird of prey snatches, 'rescues' stray poodle
May the poodle was found on the grounds of a Canadian nursing home, apparently dropped by a bird of prey.
May 17th, 2011

Bird of prey snatches, 'rescues' stray poodle

If you're a small dog, you'd probably think that being snatched by a bird of prey and whisked into the sky wouldn't be the best thing that ever happened to you.

So you've gotta hear the story of May the toy poodle.

May plopped onto the grounds of a British Columbia nursing home May 2. The nurses at Shorncliffe Nursing Home in Sechelt found the creature in very poor condition, with deep gouges on her back and multiple broken ribs, according to the British Columbia Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. The deep gouges told rescuers how she got there: clutched in the talons of a bird of prey. The dog had no identification and other maladies that led rescuers to believe she was a stray.

“In addition to the claw marks on her back and the broken ribs she sustained from the fall, all of her nails were so long they had grown into her paw pads and her teeth were badly decayed. We don’t know how long she had been wandering without care, but she was obviously very neglected. It’s ironic, but this bird may have saved her life,” Shannon Broderick, branch manager of the Sunshine Coast branch of the BCSPCA, said on the organization's website.

Shelter workers named the poodle May because of the day she was found.

“It’s an absolute miracle that she survived, and we want to do everything we can to help her,” Broderick said.

A local veterinary hospital took care of May's broken ribs and torn paw pads, but the SPCA is seeking donations to cover approximately $3,500 (U.S. $3,580) in dental work.

Check the SPCA's website here for information on how you can help.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Canada • Dogs
  1. skeptic

Should have sent her to India. Would have saved $3000 on dental expenses.

May 17, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Casey

Damn, this same thing happened to my poodle when she was a puppy. But she got picked up by her sweater, –I know it is degrading–, Well, anyway the dog slipped out of it and the hawk got away with her sweater.

May 17, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kris Wood

Nice. Now where's the headline about the town of Slave Lake AB burning to the ground? Its been days.

May 17, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Angela

I've often wondered about why so many people respond more quickly to an animal in need than a human. I am one of them, and I am aware of the moral dilemma. I also will respond to a child who is abused or in need much more quickly than I would an adult, but again, I am uncomfortable with the moral "whys" of it all. Perhaps human adults are more likely to disappoint us, throw our good works back at us...I don't know. But I think it would be better to explore this prominent tendency among us than call each other names.

May 17, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Meech

When an SPCA/shelter puts out an appeal for money, such as the $3500 for dental work, it usually is just an appeal for donations to help with the cost of running the shelter and providing low cost spay/neuter, vaccines etc. as well as treatments for the many who have no other story than being stray or unwanted. That shelter probably has hundreds of animals that were found in alleys that didn't make headlines but got help because they were rescued by the SPCA and the donations they receive. They usually give an amount around $5000 because it gets people to open their checkbooks, to show how much money it costs to save just one animal. Obviously May had a lot of medical needs. All shelters across the country are overloaded with animals and donations are dwindling. Hats off to this dog for maybe saving some more animals' lives with her story.

May 17, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • ggg

well said!!

May 17, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Avi

Why not to outsource her to Asia Market, will not cost that BIG, US is very expensive for Animals. What is happening to the Govt.Funds?

May 17, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trees

It's true – they need the high publicity cases to raise money for the countless strays that need care. Always a good cause!

May 17, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Christina

some of your comments are absurd lol. This article wasn't about kids or humans, it was about saving a dog who needed help and could bring someone a lot of love when it is able. Regardless of how many kids 3500 dollars can feed, which wasn't even the topic, why don't you focus on the story itself? Animals are at our mercy. I happen to be a human who absolutely adores animal life and think it's wonderful the dog was saved. We ask for donations for catastophes, illness, injury, accidents, and on and on and on and on, so why not ask for help to save an animal. Anyways, if you have nothing good to say, don't say it. For those who are so bent on humanity, go read articles better suited to you.

May 17, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paula W

Well said, I agree. There's nothing wrong with loving animals and supporting them.

May 17, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

I love animals too... but there has to be a point that we draw the line on how much money is spent on them to get them back to health. If it is private money, it is thier choice. If it is public money, then that is a different storey. Kids are more important and today there are thousands of childern starving and without medical support. I would hope you would donate that money to the childerns hospital before you donate to this kind of a crazy cause. Let's save our childern first and then let's worry about the stray animals and wild animals. It's called priorities...

May 17, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • SophieCat

For it's patently absurd nature, I really liked the one from "Navy Vet" – he states that MOST homeless people are walking around with OVER $300 in their pockets. Where he gets these statistics, he won't say – which of course means he makes them up as he goes along.

Talk about an IDIOT......... Navy Vet is one, for sure.

May 17, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Rhage

No you are sick Supid

May 17, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Rhage

Yes Gash is another ignorant about animals.

May 17, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ggg

she's precious. and no, it's not a ploy to just get money. my dog had to have dental work, too for decayed teeth.and diseased gums.. VERY expensive yet necessary for the comfort of the dog and as well as other health issues.

May 17, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. D23

May 17, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • ggg

yup and myself included.

May 17, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • slm

Yes you are absolutely right, I would definitely help a helpless animal before a panhandler. I'm just fine with that too!

May 17, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beth

"The sad part is, most people would donate money in heartbeat for an animal, rather than give a few bucks to a homeless panhandler."

Thats because a dog won't take the money and go spend it on booze and drugs. Myself, I'd rather give to a certified charity that helps any living being in need.

May 17, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

well ggg how about you quit feeding yourself and with that money use it to feed stray dogs and other animals. Better yet why dont you just start by offing your own life to start that animal utopia you so dream of. Lead by example

May 17, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

A homeless panhandler can fend for himself and most likely is where he is due to choices made earlier in life. A dog is at the mercy of humans, doesn't have the option of studying hard at school to have a better career/life, or choosing drugs or alcohol . . .

May 17, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alice Betts

Well for you info., the animal is helpless...IS the homeless helpless or what? Can an animal work?

May 17, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

The dog is not going to go by Alcohol or drugs like the panhandler probably will

May 17, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • SophieCat

Well Navy Vet says that MOST homeless persons are just walking around with "OVER" $300 in their pockets at all times. Maybe you working folks shouldn't worry about little May – let the homeless people pay for her dental work!

I don't know where Navy Vet gets his statistics – I think he LIES, mostly – but I can assure you that MOST homeless people DO NOT walk around with "over $300 in their pockets".

He's an idiot.

May 17, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ggg

HEY JASON,

it's NOT a stray anymore... strays are animals without homes. May has a name AND a home. May WAS a stray.

Don't give Jason too hard of a time... I think he may be a little bit slow.

May 17, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mare0568

If I had the extra money, I'd have no issues donating. My sister was murdered in 2005 and a nearby SPCA shelter has a "cat room" dedicated to her for her love a cats. I have cats but personally am more of a "dog" person. I have 2 adorable Bichon/Poodles and I would be absolutely heartbroken if something like this happened to them - especially something like this. Hats off to those who rescued her and for the shelter for nursing her back to health. I'll never understand people who don't like animals. Personally, I find people that don't are scary. I like my dogs better than most people most of the time. That doesn't mean I let them eat at the table or any other absurd thing. However, even on the worst day, my dogs make me feel so much better. I hope "May" has a much better remainder to her life and I'm sure she will give as much joy as mine do.

May 17, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • SophieCat

Charlie Sheen says in interviews that he *hates horses. That's why he hates himself, I guess – the horse is a symbol for *father.

May 17, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tonlok

@D23 "I would be darned if I dropped 3500.00 bucks on dental work for a DOG. The sad part is, most people would donate money in heartbeat for an animal, rather than give a few bucks to a homeless panhandler. What a world we live in."
    At least the dog won't use the donations for more booze...

May 17, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Putty

I think it's just terrible that this happened to such a deserving animal. Afterall, birds of prey need to eat, and no one seems concerned that the bird missed out on a meal. Who, among you, will donate your beloved dog, so that another bird won't go hungry?

May 17, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

Absurd comment...
      My dog is my FAMILY; a bird is not...
      please think!

May 17, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • RichG

Not absurd, but funny!

May 17, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bob

She's just a dog. Personally, I think they should feed her back to that bird of prey. They could film it for one of those nature shows. It would be similar to when they show the lions catching and eating a zebra, or an alligator snaring and eating an antilope that's come to the lake for a drink of water.

May 17, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |