Bird of prey snatches, 'rescues' stray poodle
May the poodle was found on the grounds of a Canadian nursing home, apparently dropped by a bird of prey.
May 17th, 2011

Bird of prey snatches, 'rescues' stray poodle

If you're a small dog, you'd probably think that being snatched by a bird of prey and whisked into the sky wouldn't be the best thing that ever happened to you.

So you've gotta hear the story of May the toy poodle.

May plopped onto the grounds of a British Columbia nursing home May 2. The nurses at Shorncliffe Nursing Home in Sechelt found the creature in very poor condition, with deep gouges on her back and multiple broken ribs, according to the British Columbia Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. The deep gouges told rescuers how she got there: clutched in the talons of a bird of prey. The dog had no identification and other maladies that led rescuers to believe she was a stray.

“In addition to the claw marks on her back and the broken ribs she sustained from the fall, all of her nails were so long they had grown into her paw pads and her teeth were badly decayed. We don’t know how long she had been wandering without care, but she was obviously very neglected. It’s ironic, but this bird may have saved her life,” Shannon Broderick, branch manager of the Sunshine Coast branch of the BCSPCA, said on the organization's website.

Shelter workers named the poodle May because of the day she was found.

“It’s an absolute miracle that she survived, and we want to do everything we can to help her,” Broderick said.

A local veterinary hospital took care of May's broken ribs and torn paw pads, but the SPCA is seeking donations to cover approximately $3,500 (U.S. $3,580) in dental work.

Check the SPCA's website here for information on how you can help.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Canada • Dogs
  1. Karen

Are you people alright? This article is simply about a dog that was injured and is now being cared for – there is no other agenda here. All of you are making this your opportunity to rant and rave and be cruel and indecent. Get a life! Wow.

May 17, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. keepcalmandcarryon

What happened to CNN? A story about a puppy is headlining. Last week, it was Justin Bieber and Lindsay Lohan. I guess hard-hitting journalism has gone down the route of chivalry..

May 17, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Melissa

Yay for May!

Poodles make the world a better place. 🙂

May 17, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. terri

Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

May 17, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Gloria

I'm glad this little pup, May, has a good home with loving people now. I hope the SPCA comes up with the funds to help her and all the other innocent animals who may be victims of us humans and our callousness.

Yes, I feel for the homeless and mentally ill who are on the streets, but a culture's humanity is determined by how it treats its elderly and animals, and if I may add, its children. Too many living beings are abused and neglected. Go, May!!

May 17, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Navy Vet

I'll help a homeless dog or any animal before i'd help a 'homeless' person. 98.8% of the time, that so called homeless person has more than $300 in his or her pocket from 'begging' from those that work for a living. An animal can't help itself. Can't defend itself from cruel humans who abandon and neglect them. Humans can and SHOULD get off their lazy azz bottoms and help themselves instead of depending on us to give them handouts. I'm sorry, but i've seen it too many times. Carrying signs saying that they are homeless and need help. I've seen more than one of these sots gather up their pitiful signs and walk back to their nice homes in the burbs with YOUR handouts. The dog or other animal needs the help. For some of these people who beg on street corners, they are healthy, and very able to work. Our government is in such a hurry to feed the starving in Pakistan and Iraq and other countries that hate us. Let's all stop worrying about them and tell our government to start assisting at home and NOT in coutries that will soon be our enemies. Nuff said.
    God Bless the DOG

May 17, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • angel

i sooooo agree with you!!!!

May 17, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elizabeth

Wish I could "like" this. I find how we treat "lesser" beings is a better indication of our civilization than how we treat the other members of our species. People will always find a way to be evil but animals are just animals...they operate out of instinct rather than malice (most of them), so it's more satisfying helping them, honestly.

May 17, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Her

Good for you!! I wish more people felt this way!

May 17, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • SophieCat

Where'd you learn to LIE like that, the Navy? Navy teach you to lie like that? I'd like to know where you "found" your statistics. 98.8% of the time homeless people have MORE MONEY IN THEIR POCKETS THAN THE AVERAGE WORKING MAN? REALLY?

You'd be hilarious if you weren't so ridiculous.

I've WORKED in a homeless shelter, and I can absolutely GUARANTEE YOU that the "average" homeless person DOES NOT HAVE $300 in their pockets.

That's absolutely laughable – homeless people are walking around with $300 in their pockets.

Oh wait, excuse me, that was "OVER" $300 in their pockets.

You're stupid.

May 17, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Conor McCartney

that is an odd statistic 98.8% of the time.. i bet you make up 34.5% of your statistics

May 17, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Karen

Sophiecat: You are the one who is ridiculous! You are comparing a domestic, helpless pet that depends on humans to survive to a homeless person? I don't wish anyone on the streets but comparing defenseless pets to the homeless is what's laughable!

May 17, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • DEb

A large number of the homeless are veterans. You'd think as a fellow vet and a fellow human you'd have a little more compassion for the homeless. Also, I think you can agree that a person with a severe physical and mental disability needs the assistance of their fellow man (and many of the homeless suffer these afflictions). I'm a veterinarian and I love dogs but I've never understood people having compassion for another species but none for their own. Odd.

May 17, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@Navy Vet: Don't know about the suburbian beggars, but here in the city they do have pitiful housing, like it that way, and beg for beer money.

I have pitiful housing and live near many of em. It's funny how they try to hide the sign and turn away when they see my company truck. Not three miles away is the Salvation Army and john 3:16. If they really needed something, they could get it. I give them nothing

May 17, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sal Monilla

Did you mean you're are a Navy VETerinarian? Look just because you volunteered yourself to the US Navy doesn't mean it disqualifies you from being STUPID and maybe not as smart as the dog May. You would have to have good eyesight,health, perhaps no work you can do other than being told what to do because you are so stupid. I heard ALL Navy personnel can't hold a decent job, not too bright, hates the mentally disabled and wouldn't help one if they were on their last breath BUT in all their favor "Loves animals". Something tells me you couldn't qualify for SEAL TEAM 6 or any other sane outfit that doesn't enjoy spitting on humans.You're a disgrace as a human to come out with such stupidity. You've just reassured me on my favorite theory that this is the dumbest planet in the universe. I so didn't want to be right about this. Oh well!!!!!

May 17, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tammy

So you actually sat and watched several of these "sots" pick up their pitiful signs....and followed them back to their nice homes in the suburbs? Wow.....I've seen more than several of those "sots" pick up their pitiful signs and carry them back to their camp in the woods. I personally work with alot of these "sots" and some of them are able to work and are just lazy....true. But the majority of them are mentally or physically impaired and are not able to work...they do what they can to survive. I mean who would want to sit out in the 100 degree weather ALL DAY with no shelter to beg for money if they have nice homes? Give me a break.....and NOT all people from other countries are future terrorists. Dude....not sure what happened to you being a Navy Vet. But maybe you should get some counseling.

May 18, 2011 at 4:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Demiurge

Do you have an adequate citation for you statistics or are you just producing them ex recto?

May 18, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Curtis

The real hero is the vet. docter...Good job

May 17, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dr. L.

This is an awesome story of survival! And thanks to the people who ccared enough to get this pup the help she needs. I just have one question, but before that, my background is that I'm a veterinary practice owner, practicing small animal medicine and surgery (dogs and cats) exclusively, and I'm troubled by the estimate for dental work of anything even remotely approaching $3500 american or canadian! Even at the Veterinary School's hospital at the University of Pennsylvania that would be an exceptional sum to charge for dental work...

May 17, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mike

I seriously can't believe I read this story...News? Money well spent (sarcasm).

May 17, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. DEb

I don't believe the dental bill is 3500....that has to be a misprint. I AM a veterinarian and I've never in my 12 years as vet seen a bill like that! Either the report is wrong or this clinic is screwing people over.

May 17, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • conventgirl

Deb, here on the Sunshine Coast, vets DO screw people over! And now, hopefully, lots of people will know what GREEDY people they are.

May 17, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joey

Veterinarians are highly skilled professionals who work hard and support families. Often they perform surgery on expensive animals that earn money for their owners.
    Whenever I've owned a dog or cat, I knew beforehand that my
    responsibility included the animal's health.
    Frequently, those costs were high, but the love of my pets was always worth it.

May 17, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. StupidDog

Roger- I never said I was better than everyone else nor am I angry. I help people all of the time. I don't think an animal that has no soul would know the difference if it were dead or alive though. It would probably have been better to put it down. I don't believe in mistreating animals either. It seems like people go through more trouble these days to save an animal than to help a human being. Regardless poodles are the most annoying bread of animal that ever was!

May 17, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. James Boyd

People are people programmed-Judge their programming-They're just animals,..Well aNiMals are decent.polite.and have all kinds of good behaviors that I can take to.

May 17, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Taner

I love puppies, glad the pup lived, and probably fought hard to do so:)

May 17, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. EricV

She should be given to the home for the elderly to play with her!

May 17, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |