May 17th, 2011

Schwarzenegger acknowledges having child with staffer

Arnold Schwarzenegger fathered a child more than 10 years ago outside of his marriage to Maria Shriver, a source close to the former California governor confirmed to CNN on Tuesday.

Shriver, who described her husband as an "A-plus human being" when he was accused of sexual misconduct in 2003, called it "a painful and heartbreaking time" in a written statement to CNN on Tuesday.

"As a mother, my concern is for the children," Shriver said. "I ask for compassion, respect and privacy as my children and I try to rebuild our lives and heal. I will have no further comment."

The revelation, published first by the Los Angeles Times, came about a week after Schwarzenegger and his wife of 25 years announced that they were "amicably separating."

"After leaving the governor's office I told my wife about this event, which occurred over a decade ago," Schwarzenegger said in a statement obtained by CNN. "I understand and deserve the feelings of anger and disappointment among my friends and family. There are no excuses and I take full responsibility for the hurt I have caused. I have apologized to Maria, my children and my family. I am truly sorry."

Schwarzenegger fathered the child with a household staffer, the Times article said. He has provided support for the child since birth, the source told CNN.

The staffer told the newspaper that the child was fathered by her then-husband. She declined to comment after learning of Schwarzenegger's statement, the newspaper reported.

The newspaper quoted her as saying she recently retired "on good terms" with the couple after working for them for 20 years.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: California • Politics
  1. yawn

Gas is not expensive to us who can afford it. .the rest of you should've paid more attention in school and got a decent education and you could afford nice things. .dummys

May 17, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • cdm

You are a true idiot.

May 17, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzy

You must work for the useless govt? Rich parents? You obnoxious dweeb!

May 17, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • pazke

Troll.

May 17, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay

Your high paying gig relies on the backbone of American buying power so while the rest of Americans are losing work, they're spending less. What are the odds you'll be affected? Also dummy, CNN reported earlier that 85% of University graduates move home after school. Nothing like having a whole country full of educated unemployed bums!! Look it up on cnnmoney.com you DORK!

May 18, 2011 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  2. Scott Spiewak

Here is a great example of a story that can shed some light on this subject: http://www.surprisedblove.com a true story of one couples journey from infidelity to true love!

May 17, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Scott Spiewak

Here is a great example of a story that can shed some light on the subject: http://www.surprisedbylove.com a true story of one couples journey from infidelity to true love.

May 17, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rocky

What a remarkable liar! No wonder he got elected. He fits right in with the other psychopaths that kill our dreams and steal our money while they smile and tell us they love us.

May 17, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. sugamama

This man Arnold fathered a child with their housekeeper.And excused a murderer son of a friend. He's still acting!!

May 17, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cricket

I saw a picture of him one time. Roids is right. Shrimp, anyone?

May 17, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy

The Kennedy women seem to have the mentality of "look the other way" built into their psyche.

I wish Maria and her children the best.

May 17, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • gill

Way to watch old oprah clips ....good job NOT

May 18, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. HANK

He has always been a playboy.

May 17, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy

@Scottish Mama:

I got the reference right away. Unfortunately, you're preaching to the choir, and always will be when it comes to the GOP.

May 17, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. casey

Aww poor babys! SUCK IT UP! and check this out. .whenever you go to a store you are not only supporting the store but the corporations of the items you buy so stop whining about wallyworld. .its the same at all others

May 17, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Scottish Mama

@banasy We really need people to run that understand the problem and be able to solve it without the emotional BS , and holding people hostage with abortion.

May 17, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Emmersome Bigguns

He-Man and Skeletor are breaking up? By the power of Gray Skull.......

May 18, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. pw

So much for family values arnold

May 18, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Rafaela

It is sometimes so diuficflt to remember that one's children are simply human beings, too. They are not perfect, nor are they less deserving of the courtesy and respect we want for ourselves. Once they begin to be able to articulate their needs, it is too late. We need to treat them as sacred, flawed beings from day one. I used to believe mine were perfect, but every time they displayed an imperfection, it led me to doubt my parenting (how did I mess this child up already?!). That was too exhausting! I think you and Michelle are both right. Trust yourself.

March 12, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |