Lance Armstrong over the years
May 20th, 2011

Ex-teammate: I saw Lance Armstrong inject banned substances

A former cycling teammate said seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong used performance-enhancing drugs before several events, including the Tour de France, according to an interview with CBS' "60 Minutes."

In the interview, part of which CBS aired Thursday on the "CBS Evening News," Tyler Hamilton admitted that he, Armstrong and members of the U.S. Postal Service team often used banned substances. Hamilton has served a two-year suspension for doping.

Armstrong rebutted the allegation Thursday night on Twitter saying: "20+ year career. 500 drug controls worldwide, in and out of competition. Never a failed test. I rest my case."

Hamilton, who won an Olympic gold medal in 2004, told "60 Minutes" that he knows Armstrong used EPO, which helps boost endurance, several times, including in his win for the 1999 Tour de France.

"I saw (EPO) in his refrigerator. ... I saw him inject it more than one time like we all did, like I did many, many times," Hamilton said.

MayoClinic.com: Performance-enhancing drug risks

Armstrong on Thursday night tweeted for his followers to go to Facts4Lance.com, a site dismissing several doping allegations lodged against Armstrong over the years. Armstrong has always said he never took banned substances. He has never failed a drug test but repeatedly has been accused of using performance-enhancing drugs by other riders.

"Tyler Hamilton is a confessed liar in search of a book deal and he managed to dupe 60 Minutes, the 'CBS Evening News,' and new anchor Scott Pelley," Armstrong lawyer Mark Fabiani said in a statement. "Most people, though, will see this for exactly what it is:  More washed-up cyclists talking trash for cash."

Hamilton, who had previously denied using the substances, said that he and riders took the drugs because they felt they needed to gain an edge.

"(Armstrong) took what we all took ... ," Hamilton told CBS.  "There was EPO ... testosterone ... a blood transfusion."

Post by:
Filed under: Cycling • Sports
  1. Nina

I believe hamilton, there is always someone who is willing to look at those who adore him In the eye nd give a bold face lye. Not feeling anything relying on – his white privilege status to hide the truth. Look what he did to his last wife, his character is questionnable anyway...

May 21, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Logic

So if Hamilton says Lance took everything Hamilton himself took, why didn't Lance test positive when he was tested far more often than Hamilton was?

June 15, 2012 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. Steve

Give the man a break. His blood and urine have been tested 100's of times with not a trace of performance enhancing drugs. He was and always will be one of the greatest cyclists of all time. Hamilton should be ashamed.

May 21, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dave

I'm pretty sure that the grand jury disagrees with you.

May 21, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. yvgeny

EPO is easy to detect in blood testing. This is why Hamilton was guilty. He should have been smarter when lying and made up another drug name.

May 22, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Young Goodman Brown

I hope all of the people minimizing the importance of whether Armstrong doped or not are similarly indifferent to the question of whether Barry Bonds, Marion Jones, Sammy Sosa, Ben Johnson, and numerous other athletes doped... unless of course you're hypocrites.

If it's wrong for one, it's wrong for all. It doesn't matter that Armstrong is a cancer survivor. It doesn't matter that you've decided based upon your acceptance of his carefully crafted image that he's a "good guy." It doesn't matter that he brought considerable natural ability to the table. (Barry Bonds was one of the greatest ballplayers to ever play the game before he ever doped at all, even going by the timeline of the "Game of Shadows" guys.)

If doping is wrong, it's wrong, end of story.

I think eventually we'll have to grudgingly head toward the old Saturday Night Live sketch, "The All-Steroids Olympics." There is such a massive amount of doping of various kinds across the entire sports world, and the tests to ferret it out will always be a step or two behind.

I'm not saying everyone dopes, but it's foolish to feel confident that we know with certainty that any ostensibly clean athlete truly is clean.

The sporting world is not clean, it's not pure (except maybe the purity of some of the drugs taken)... if you can enjoy it knowing this, cool... but don't kid yourself about what's going on, not anymore.

May 24, 2011 at 6:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ron

The one difference with everyone you mentioned and the apparent witch hunt of Lance is, they got caught. Whether he did or didn't doesn't matter now he was never caught if he did while others around were .

June 15, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  5. dc

Interesting that Armstrong says "I never failed a test" rather than "I didn't take the drugs." Does that mean catch me if you can?

June 14, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Carla

Great point!

June 14, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Senior

His denial is a joke. He's been lying for so long he believes his lies. What gall, he thinks he's so important that the government accusing him unjustly. Then factor in all those who are so jealous of him. What a joke,and the joke is on him. I hope they strip him of his medals.

June 16, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

He has said over and over he has NOT used drugs and that he has passed over 500 drug tests!

Fact: He has passed 500 drug tests
      How would you like being fired from your job because I said I saw you take drugs they test you with negitive resaults but they fire you anyway? WRONG is WRONG axcept it move on!

August 7, 2012 at 4:07 am | Report abuse |
  6. alumette

I have never liked the man. Something about him is opportunistic and narcissistic. I can see him do anything possible to get ahead and to beat the system. He will deny until he dies.

June 14, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Carla

I always despised him – just a gut instinct that had nothing to do w/ any accusations.

June 14, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

Like has nothing to do with it. Im sure there are people who dont like you does that give them the right to accuse you of something you didn't do?

August 7, 2012 at 4:11 am | Report abuse |
  7. Nena

I remember reading in the "Texas Monthly" 2001 Armstrong mentioned his use of EPO.

June 14, 2012 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. BKC

If Lance won the Tour de France 7 times without cheating while competing against ALL the other cyclists who were cheating, he would have to be the greatest athlete who ever lived.

June 19, 2012 at 3:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Alan ,

If Lance did dope why was he never caught , as a former cycling international myself, I have heard stories through the years of what went on In the continental european cycling scene , 20-30 yeas ago Amphetamines were
    widely used in Criteriums post Tour de France, and it was well known among riders this went on . As a former Tour of
    Slovakia rider { 1980 } ! by god that race was brutal ! I have often wondered if the former Soviet Bloc riders have now
    slowed down a bit , I do believe a lot of them used certain subsances to their advantage.

August 11, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Smitty

Floyd Landis was accused of doping, which he denied. At his hearing, he denied it to his own family and was found GUILTY. How is it that every other person on Armstrong's team doped, but not him?
    It's also a common liar's tactic to avoid answering a question such as did you use EPO's by replying "I never failed a test" instead of simply saying "no."

August 23, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Dave

... he may not be a 'good' guy. there may be thousands of folk out there saying that he has always lacked humility and won his races with arrogance; he may not be innocent – who is?! but is the fact that he has tested hundreds of times negative a proof of USADA's failure to catch hundreds of his colleagues and even team mates or does it not proof that someone somewhere is very xenophobic / jealous and will do anything [for money] to destroy his name and deny the only undisputable fact that he has ALWAYS been one of the greatest cyclists and triathlonists of this planet?
    why don't we ask a great nationalist Eddie M. who he wants to believe? former colleagues? one has to bear in mind that they all spent far too much time thinking about the millions on their contracts instead of simply competing with him... !!

August 24, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Contracting Info

hey there and thanks in your info ? I have definitely picked up anything new from proper here. I did however experience a few technical points using this web site, since I skilled to reload the website lots of occasions prior to I may just get it to load correctly. I have been puzzling over in case your hosting is OK? No longer that I'm complaining, however slow loading instances instances will often have an effect on your placement in google and can harm your quality rating if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I'm adding this RSS to my email and could look out for much extra of your respective fascinating content. Make sure you update this once more very soon..

September 9, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply