Rapture talk prompts 'confessions'
A doomsday banner hangs over a street Saturday in Manila, Philippines.
May 21st, 2011

Rapture talk prompts 'confessions'

For those of you who haven't been paying attention, it could be your last day here on Earth.

At 6 p.m. Saturday, according to radio host Harold Camping, the Day of Rapture and the start of Judgment Day begins.

At this writing there have been no reports of people being taken up into heaven, but plenty of folks are talking about it.

Jim Brenneman, a cartoonist and CNN iReporter in Marcellus, New York, said he expects to remain on Earth, but you never know.

"Although I assume that I've lived a sinful life and will probably be here on Sunday, there is a small chance that maybe I was better than I thought and might get sucked up into the heavens on Saturday with all the other self-righteous wing nuts," he said. "If that happens, feel free to have my stuff. But probably not! Let the Looting Begin! HAPPY APOCALYPSE EVERYONE!!"

Brenneman posted a cartoon envisioning himself  being caught up.

Another iReporter, Greg Reese, created an entertaining and thought-provoking video from interviews with people on the streets of Cincinnati.

Twitter user CreativelyTom presented possible photographic evidence that the Rapture was happening.

The top Twitter trend on Saturday morning was #endoftheworldconfessions. Among them:

Lord_Valdemort7: "I 'let the dogs out.' It was me."

Firenzeii: "You know your cute little bunny rabbit? The one you called Fluffy and loved more than anything else? I ate him."

BiebersNachos: "I loved, I love and I will always love this sexy badass singer called Justin Drew Bieber :)"

WagTheFox: "You really do look fat in those jeans. There. I said it."

CNN iReporter Jutka T. Emoke Barabas from Honolulu just isn't that into the Rapture.

"We have better things to do, like take care of our environment," the iReporter said. "Today we should reflect about what we could do that our planet would be a better and more livable place for everyone in the future and not think about the end of our planet."

She said she drew a picture of Earth covered with different trees because she was tired of hearing about all this "doomsday business." While still on the Earth, Barabas suggested, "just plant a tree."

She said she plans to do just that on Sunday for the people affected by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

CNN iReporter Cameron Harrelson, 16, from southern Georgia, started researching the idea of Saturday as Judgment Day after his literature teacher had students express their thoughts on the day in their class journals.

"The Bible tells us no man, not even Jesus, knows the day he will return," Harrelson said, and so those predicting the day are trying to elevate themselves to the status of God.

"I am ready if it happens tonight a 6 o'clock, but I don't think it is very likely," he said.

1. ktisis

Harold Camping said that judgment day would come on May 21st at 6pm.
    Jesus said that "NO MAN knows the DAY or the HOUR..."
    Camping said the DAY: May 21st, 2011
    Camping said the HOUR: 6pm

According to Jesus, that is an epic fail.

May 21, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mark

jesus never existed, and Camping's prophecy is also bs.

May 21, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • bam

he also stated the same thing in 1994.
      and as for Jesus he died 2009 "Apr 21, 2009 ... Thirty-six year old Jesus Ponce was murdered during a robbery at Rosy's Store at the corner of Baron Bliss and St. Joseph Street. .."

May 21, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. larry c. lyons

I'm planning on taking some old clothing and shoes and artfully distributing them around some of the fundamentalist churches in the area.

May 21, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Ellis

Well it's KY-2000 all over again. I will hide under a blanket until it is over. Any sailors out there??

May 21, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Ellis

Been trying to get rid of the fish tank,but my fish won't die. Grrrrr

May 21, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. RUFFNUTT

WHAT TIME ZONE????

May 21, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dana

They honestly thought it was going to start at the international dateline and make its way west as the day went on, so it would be at 6 pm for everyone. I'm not making this up; these idiots believe God respects time zones. No mention of how God would deal with discrepancies in the adoption of Daylight Saving Time.

May 21, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ellis

Not sure what time zone but its either your right b@ttt cheek or your left b@tttt cheek.

May 21, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. RUFFNUTT

does that mean my b_tt crack is cst?

May 21, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Ellis

My goodness,what a self-centered response,Ruffy.

May 21, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Tee

This probably won't be the day, but people rest assured, the day IS coming. Jesus will return to this earth someday, every knee shall bow, and every tongue shall confess that He is Lord. I see many people making fun, but now or later, it's real, and it will happen. Please be ready. Please.

May 21, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Clemson

I have to agree with Tee on this one. It may not be today but he will come back one day. We should all be ready when that day comes and in the meantime not joke but pray for the lost souls as hopefully they will acceept our Lord as their savior and be ready when it does happen. The bible states no man, angel, or the son of God knows the time only the Father himself. Let's all be prepared and live our lives for God :)

May 21, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trent

Sorry to tell you Santa Claus isn't real kids, but it's not real. It's no more true than Star Wars or Harry Potter. People make up stuff all the time. There will be no rapture and no apocalypse, at least not one created by an alleged diety whose existence cannot be proven. A man-made apocalypse is possible, even likely, but not one "predicted" by a book written by illiterates. You've been lied to.

May 21, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • jpizzala

no...and why would you care if we're saved or not?

May 21, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Evangelists care if we're saved because they're nosy, obviously.

May 21, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah *gasps for breath* ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

May 21, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • DDM

Tee – hee hee

May 21, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • ihaveabridgetosellyou

You mean like a surprise party? But only Jesus knows when? Sounds pretty stupid to me. Sorry. PS. I know a lot of Christians out there who mock those doomsday people but I bet dollars for donuts that they are praying just in case to cover their asses.

May 21, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • jenna

If you could prove God's existence then you Couldn't have free will. If you could look Him up in the phone book and give him a call, there could be no choice in the matter. God cannot be proved empirically because there needs to be evidence for and against Him, so that people have the freedom to choose. God is brilliant, and loving. Read the Bible :)

May 21, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • @jenna

What kind of loving diety would use infanticide as a punishment? (Hosea 13:16)
      or tell women they shouldn't have authority over men? (Timothy 2:10)
      or tell a man to kill his only son, just to prove a point? (Isaac and Abraham)
      or kill a man's family, take everything from him just to win a bet with the devil? (Job)
      or allow the Holocaust to happen?

May 21, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • southsidemike

When the world ends today, all of you who are leaving please send me any leftover cash, gold, deeds, securities, bonds etc.… before you leave. Please have them postmarked before you leave

May 21, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Cesar

Seriously doubt this will happen.

May 21, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Dat Dude

Who are you going to trust more in, the word of Jesus who says he doesnt know the date but he will be back or a man who has been wrong before? I'll cast my lot with the word of Jesus. I think he's a little more reliable.

May 21, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Maurice

How about the word of the Cat-in-the-Hat – another fictional storybook character, just like your Jewish Cosmic Zombie Jesus.

May 21, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • asrael

I just spoke to Jesus; he said he returned a while ago but nobody noticed, so he's through with the whole business of reruns...

May 21, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesus

Hear my words: You are an idiot.

May 21, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Cricket

I plan on taking my old unwanted clothing, making them into outfits, complete with shoes and underwear, and leaving them in different areas of town.

May 21, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Something

Heh. Putting some steaming dry ice in the shoes is a nice touch too!

May 21, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Peanutman

Jesus, said that NO man knowns the day or the hour or even the angels will know when the Son Of Man will come back, only God knows. He will come like a thief in the night.

May 21, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • asrael

So ... that's ... who took my sandwich from the fridge...!

May 21, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ellis

I would like to buy your used underwear.

May 21, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Matt

Well, Tee, since a complete stranger on the internet said it must be true, then I have to be inclined to agree with you. And I am touched by your wanting us all to be ready. Extremely touched. And I don't mean physically by a Catholic priest, I mean emotionally.

May 21, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply