Rapture talk prompts 'confessions'
A doomsday banner hangs over a street Saturday in Manila, Philippines.
May 21st, 2011

Rapture talk prompts 'confessions'

For those of you who haven't been paying attention, it could be your last day here on Earth.

At 6 p.m. Saturday, according to radio host Harold Camping, the Day of Rapture and the start of Judgment Day begins.

At this writing there have been no reports of people being taken up into heaven, but plenty of folks are talking about it.

Jim Brenneman, a cartoonist and CNN iReporter in Marcellus, New York, said he expects to remain on Earth, but you never know.

"Although I assume that I've lived a sinful life and will probably be here on Sunday, there is a small chance that maybe I was better than I thought and might get sucked up into the heavens on Saturday with all the other self-righteous wing nuts," he said. "If that happens, feel free to have my stuff. But probably not! Let the Looting Begin! HAPPY APOCALYPSE EVERYONE!!"

Brenneman posted a cartoon envisioning himself  being caught up.

Another iReporter, Greg Reese, created an entertaining and thought-provoking video from interviews with people on the streets of Cincinnati.

Twitter user CreativelyTom presented possible photographic evidence that the Rapture was happening.

The top Twitter trend on Saturday morning was #endoftheworldconfessions. Among them:

Lord_Valdemort7: "I 'let the dogs out.' It was me."

Firenzeii: "You know your cute little bunny rabbit? The one you called Fluffy and loved more than anything else? I ate him."

BiebersNachos: "I loved, I love and I will always love this sexy badass singer called Justin Drew Bieber :)"

WagTheFox: "You really do look fat in those jeans. There. I said it."

CNN iReporter Jutka T. Emoke Barabas from Honolulu just isn't that into the Rapture.

"We have better things to do, like take care of our environment," the iReporter said. "Today we should reflect about what we could do that our planet would be a better and more livable place for everyone in the future and not think about the end of our planet."

She said she drew a picture of Earth covered with different trees because she was tired of hearing about all this "doomsday business." While still on the Earth, Barabas suggested, "just plant a tree."

She said she plans to do just that on Sunday for the people affected by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

CNN iReporter Cameron Harrelson, 16, from southern Georgia, started researching the idea of Saturday as Judgment Day after his literature teacher had students express their thoughts on the day in their class journals.

"The Bible tells us no man, not even Jesus, knows the day he will return," Harrelson said, and so those predicting the day are trying to elevate themselves to the status of God.

"I am ready if it happens tonight a 6 o'clock, but I don't think it is very likely," he said.

1. bluemax77

GOD’S TURNED OUT TO BE A LIAR AND A FRAUD – WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT IT..??

May 21, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • louie

first off lemme say, i'm not 1 bit religious, im quite skeptical... if god existed i would like to see physical proof like a big foot photo or something.
      anyways... if he did exist, god, didn't lie... harold camping lied... and the ppl who follow him and preach his lies are the liars.

May 21, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • bluemax77

IN THE SCHEME OF THINGS AND THE POINTLESSNESS OF ANY OF THIS, I THINK YOU MIGHT JUST BE SLITTING HAIRS..!!

May 21, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • asrael

Yeah, that hair-"slitting" thing always makes me uncomfortable...

May 21, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. shaun

IF YOU ARE TOO LAZY TO EXPLORE THE TRUTHS BEHIND FAITH AND JUDGE IT WITHOUT ADEQUATE KNOWLEGE....that's like saying you should never hold your kids accountable for being to lazy to clean their rooms. Judging the reality of Faith before you have the knowledge to make an informed decision is like saying you should be convicted of murder without an investigation!

May 21, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • asrael

Judging without knowledge: is that like going for all caps instead of offering a lucid argument...?

May 21, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. TG

He is the biggest JOKE in the world.... Collected 82 Mill, and vanished.....

May 21, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dee

Regarding the Dooms Dayers: Anderson why don't you go after radical Islam and give them the same treatment. I would like to see if you would be just as passionate in your mockery, over people that blow other people up,and their own. Now is your opportunity to be fair and balanced. In fact there is a lot of extremism every where that gives decent people a bad name. Go at it. Look for it in the Gay community, in liberalism, as well. Give us a mockery parade like you did with the dooms dayers. Prove your really not one sided.

May 21, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carolyn

Dooms Dayers?

May 21, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrew

The ridiculist is usually reserved for people who say or do things patiently absurd, so transparently stupid that it warrants ridicule among people with moderate fame. "There are people who qualify in the gay community" is a little bit open ended, unless you have a specific example which warrants such treatment. If you had a prominent radical muslim who does the same thing, I'm sure he'd be willing to ridicule that individual as well. But just saying "hey don't target doomsayers" sounds, well, silly.

May 21, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • asrael

Much better to mock those having difficulty finding the "S" key ...

May 21, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. D Grant

Can this erase a bad credit history?

May 21, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cricket

Alas, JanetMermaid, I wish we could live and let live; I, however, was only talking about these blogs.

A true separation of Church and State would be nice, also.

May 21, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Barack

No Rapture? Go ahead. Blame Obama. I know you want to.

May 21, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • louie

this isn't fox news

May 21, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Suicide 504

This juist in the Rapture is happening. Now today only for the low price of 49.99 you can be saved, but if you act now in the next 10 minutes we also throwing in half price on pets also. Operators are standing by

May 21, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Cricket

@asrael: Hector.

May 21, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. MCGLYNN

Sorry everyone whos still here but the rapture already took place late last night and the only ones still here are destined t0 go to hell.-I hope that somebody remembered to bring along the barbicue sause because its really to get hot.

May 21, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Amanda

Its all your choice...I dont pity you by any means...Im just saying..To each their own..if you choose not to believe then thats on you buddy..but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

May 21, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • LinCA

And the lord will be served with sweet potatoes, green bean salad, cranberry sauce and creme brulee for desert..

May 21, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • asrael

Reminds me of that science fiction tale: To Serve Man ...

May 21, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Cricket

Huh. How odd, MCGLYNN. Everybody in my neighborhood is still here.
    Fire up that grill!

May 21, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Acaraho

If a congregation thinks the rapture will occur today then why are they still accepting donations?

May 21, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. franky

Like a theif in the night? Let me get my mossberg ready

May 21, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |