Rapture talk prompts 'confessions'
A doomsday banner hangs over a street Saturday in Manila, Philippines.
May 21st, 2011

Rapture talk prompts 'confessions'

For those of you who haven't been paying attention, it could be your last day here on Earth.

At 6 p.m. Saturday, according to radio host Harold Camping, the Day of Rapture and the start of Judgment Day begins.

At this writing there have been no reports of people being taken up into heaven, but plenty of folks are talking about it.

Jim Brenneman, a cartoonist and CNN iReporter in Marcellus, New York, said he expects to remain on Earth, but you never know.

"Although I assume that I've lived a sinful life and will probably be here on Sunday, there is a small chance that maybe I was better than I thought and might get sucked up into the heavens on Saturday with all the other self-righteous wing nuts," he said. "If that happens, feel free to have my stuff. But probably not! Let the Looting Begin! HAPPY APOCALYPSE EVERYONE!!"

Brenneman posted a cartoon envisioning himself  being caught up.

Another iReporter, Greg Reese, created an entertaining and thought-provoking video from interviews with people on the streets of Cincinnati.

Twitter user CreativelyTom presented possible photographic evidence that the Rapture was happening.

The top Twitter trend on Saturday morning was #endoftheworldconfessions. Among them:

Lord_Valdemort7: "I 'let the dogs out.' It was me."

Firenzeii: "You know your cute little bunny rabbit? The one you called Fluffy and loved more than anything else? I ate him."

BiebersNachos: "I loved, I love and I will always love this sexy badass singer called Justin Drew Bieber :)"

WagTheFox: "You really do look fat in those jeans. There. I said it."

CNN iReporter Jutka T. Emoke Barabas from Honolulu just isn't that into the Rapture.

"We have better things to do, like take care of our environment," the iReporter said. "Today we should reflect about what we could do that our planet would be a better and more livable place for everyone in the future and not think about the end of our planet."

She said she drew a picture of Earth covered with different trees because she was tired of hearing about all this "doomsday business." While still on the Earth, Barabas suggested, "just plant a tree."

She said she plans to do just that on Sunday for the people affected by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

CNN iReporter Cameron Harrelson, 16, from southern Georgia, started researching the idea of Saturday as Judgment Day after his literature teacher had students express their thoughts on the day in their class journals.

"The Bible tells us no man, not even Jesus, knows the day he will return," Harrelson said, and so those predicting the day are trying to elevate themselves to the status of God.

"I am ready if it happens tonight a 6 o'clock, but I don't think it is very likely," he said.

1. John

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
    -Seneca the Younger

Besides, Christianity is a multi-billion dollar industry in this country and they are untaxed.

May 21, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lady Gagaga

Wow – a quote by Seneca the Younger!!! I can't believe it!!! THE Seneca the Younger???? As in better than Seneca the Older or Seneca the Just-Middle-Aged???!!! Boy, he nailed it.....

May 21, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Cricket

Well, if I got 26 million dollars, I'd sure be outta here...

May 21, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. LinCA

Breaking news! The Mayan Calendar has been extended by 1 B'ak'tun. The new date for the end of the world is now March 26, 2407.

May 21, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Kafir

Still waiting

May 21, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Cricket

I noticed that hair-slitting thing too...one couldn't help it since it was IN ALL CAPS!!!!!

May 21, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. jessica

ITS ALL BS! I DONT BELIEVE IT FOR A SECOND... ITS JUST ANOTHER WAY TO MAKE MONEY OFF OF US

May 21, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Cricket Mock

What did I ever do to you all? Lol

May 21, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. bretticus

I find it sad that very few people have the desire to personally question the theology of this guy. It is sad that a man like this will ultimately be the power that sways people away from the Christian faith. I can't believe it has gotten this far without a major theological response.

If you are still reading, then it is my hope that this is a teaching point for humanity. Religion and people are flawed. I hope that people don't confuse faith in God with trusting in religions and people. If God is incapable of communicating with individuals without the need for a flawed human, then why believe at all? This is exactly why I am not Catholic, Mormon, Jehovah's Witness, or any other religion that inhibits a free and personal relationship with God. I have the freedom to be inspired personally by God, without feeling guilty if I don't believe a church or religion or person or group of people.

If you are STILL reading, then I'm amazed :) I hope that if you are in the chains of some religion that proclaims ultimate understanding, that you can break free of it, believe in divine inspiration, and perhaps let the priests and pastors and teachers make suggestions, with the decision being ultimately between you and God, the way it's supposed to be. Read the Bible yourself, and see what you think. It's still on the planet for a reason, and the people who wrote it are dead for a reason, too. Let God speak for himself to you for once. I promise you will be happier with your own understanding and new way of finding helpful suggestions from people.

May 21, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • richard

I guess if nothing else, maybe it will cause someone to find the knowledge by reading the Bible. The truth will set you free.

May 21, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrew

Or maybe it'll help people realise that an old book is not the best source to go looking for 'truths', and that the people who believe most emphatically it is, tend to be as crazy as Camping.

May 21, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • hogfan1

I like what you say and have lived my life that way for most of my almost 50 years. Good stuff. Happy days to you and yours.

May 21, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. richard

I guess I should eat super at 5:00, if the world ends at 6:00.no counting calories and I can flip off my cardiologist.

May 21, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. irishman

i guess no one ever considered that the rapture really takes place with the 144,006 decendents of the twelve tribes of israel. the rest will be left behind to be tested, trialed, weighed and measured for all of our sins. then, and only then if we are worthy we can ascend into the heavens

May 21, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Pops

What does not exist cannot return.

May 21, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. American Misfit Kid

For the life of me I can't understand what the hurry is for all these ueber-Christians to get to Heaven. Can't wait a few years until you die?

I think they're actually scared that their judgmental and un-Christian lifestyles may prevent their entry into the Pearly Gates, in spite of all the lip service they give to their religions.

I realize that there are REAL Christians out there...people who live their lives in the manner that Christ taught them to. I applaud them. But then there are the other, faux Christians, who idolize Christ rather than honor him, and they're the ones telling you and me how to live our lives, telling the poor and downtrodden that they don't belong in their country. Those are the the same people who expect to go to Heaven today. I'd say God has a hard decision to make with them!

May 21, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Kana

So if the Rapture was supposed to happen at 6:00pm on May 21, 2011 and that time has already past in many parts of the world, can we assume this was just a hoax? I guess we'll have to wait until 6:00pm has occurred in the last time zone for today to really know.

May 21, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. SB

It's funny how the universe managed to avoid coming to an end for thirteen and a half billion years before one species out of the 2.5 million living on one planet out of trillions came along and invented mythology.

May 21, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Maria

Let's do the math, here... 490,000 babies are born around the world every day. The Rapture is allegedly only going to be taking up around 140,000 or so. Exactly HOW do the self-righteous think they are going to be able to "best" everyone in this race to eternal salvation, if the innocents don't stand a chance? Talk about invoking an ego.

May 21, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply