Rapture talk prompts 'confessions'
A doomsday banner hangs over a street Saturday in Manila, Philippines.
May 21st, 2011

Rapture talk prompts 'confessions'

For those of you who haven't been paying attention, it could be your last day here on Earth.

At 6 p.m. Saturday, according to radio host Harold Camping, the Day of Rapture and the start of Judgment Day begins.

At this writing there have been no reports of people being taken up into heaven, but plenty of folks are talking about it.

Jim Brenneman, a cartoonist and CNN iReporter in Marcellus, New York, said he expects to remain on Earth, but you never know.

"Although I assume that I've lived a sinful life and will probably be here on Sunday, there is a small chance that maybe I was better than I thought and might get sucked up into the heavens on Saturday with all the other self-righteous wing nuts," he said. "If that happens, feel free to have my stuff. But probably not! Let the Looting Begin! HAPPY APOCALYPSE EVERYONE!!"

Brenneman posted a cartoon envisioning himself  being caught up.

Another iReporter, Greg Reese, created an entertaining and thought-provoking video from interviews with people on the streets of Cincinnati.

Twitter user CreativelyTom presented possible photographic evidence that the Rapture was happening.

The top Twitter trend on Saturday morning was #endoftheworldconfessions. Among them:

Lord_Valdemort7: "I 'let the dogs out.' It was me."

Firenzeii: "You know your cute little bunny rabbit? The one you called Fluffy and loved more than anything else? I ate him."

BiebersNachos: "I loved, I love and I will always love this sexy badass singer called Justin Drew Bieber :)"

WagTheFox: "You really do look fat in those jeans. There. I said it."

CNN iReporter Jutka T. Emoke Barabas from Honolulu just isn't that into the Rapture.

"We have better things to do, like take care of our environment," the iReporter said. "Today we should reflect about what we could do that our planet would be a better and more livable place for everyone in the future and not think about the end of our planet."

She said she drew a picture of Earth covered with different trees because she was tired of hearing about all this "doomsday business." While still on the Earth, Barabas suggested, "just plant a tree."

She said she plans to do just that on Sunday for the people affected by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

CNN iReporter Cameron Harrelson, 16, from southern Georgia, started researching the idea of Saturday as Judgment Day after his literature teacher had students express their thoughts on the day in their class journals.

"The Bible tells us no man, not even Jesus, knows the day he will return," Harrelson said, and so those predicting the day are trying to elevate themselves to the status of God.

"I am ready if it happens tonight a 6 o'clock, but I don't think it is very likely," he said.

1. Christan one

Anyday or night could be the coming of Christ's return. No scripture ponts to his exact day and, time or coming! Not even the Angels in heaven know! It is not for us to know.So why does a mare man claims he knows?! Foolish.It will happen without a doubt, not today at 6pm anyway's. So instead of living today like it was your last, do it everyday.

John 3:3 & John 3:16.

May 21, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Infidel

But most Christians believe in the Trinity. If that is true, then Jesus IS God. So explain it to me how Jesus doesn't know when the so called "Rapture" will happen. You are saying that only God knows the day and even God doesn't know the day. Extremely confusing!

May 21, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Capercorn

The Rapture will never happen. Not today, not tomorrow, not within the next 100 years, not ever.

Funny how the only people who do believe it are the fundies.

May 21, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Infidel

What do you talking about? The rapture did happen. This IS heaven. Disappointed?

May 21, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tom V.

Good one! Thanks for the smile.

May 21, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jessica

Is that 6pm eastern time? I'd like to plan my day accordingly... I sure hate to be caught off guard.

May 21, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • WitchOneSalem

6pm on any given time zone. Like if it is 6 pm in a country somewhere in the world the event will start there. So different times throughout the world. I have not heard or read anything happening yet. I know somewhere in the world it is past 6pm now.

May 21, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shoeless Joe

This IS heaven? No, this IS Iowa!

May 21, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mikael

Who are you people to say Jesus isnt real? You have no right. Dont put people down for what they believe in. It is pretty immature.

May 21, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Infidel

Right! don't dis me because I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster. All Hail the Holy Pasta!

May 21, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • IRONY

Yea you're doing the exact same thing you're coplaining about. Look in the mirror people can believe in god and people can choose not to believe in god. So you should stop being immture.

May 21, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • sqeptiq

People who believe in things for which there is no evidence are frequently referred to as insane.

May 21, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. brazil

are sure it didnt end on 9/11

May 21, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Jesus

Deuteronomy 18:20

But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, is to be put to death.

May 21, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. castorpullox

religion is a crutch for the weak......religion, is a business based on fear and hope (much like the republican tactics).......

May 21, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mikael

There is nothing wrong with hope. Let them have hope, with the way the world is going these days it is nice to have some hope.

May 21, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • AC

other way around... i think that those who need to have proof and an explanation for everything are weak

May 21, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • JasonB

Amen to what AC says. Those who need scientific, cold, heartless truth; the ones who are afraid of true love and compassion (Salvation) are the weak, the most in need of prayers from the "hopeful".

I spent the morning watching the History Channel program on the War of 1812. Nobody can tell me that God's hand wasn't present on that day the brits burned DC. Coincidence that the worst hurricane on record to hit DC struck that very day, so bad that the brits were blown into a retreat? Coincidence that while retreating, even though they were still resisting leaving that a tornado coincidentally touched down and chose the exact path of the brit column and killed many of them that day?

No, nobody will tell me that was coincidence nor do I need a cold scientific so-called "unbiased" expanation. I believe God's fury was poured out on that brit army that day for what they had done. Fury because this was the nation God had setup which allowed us the freedom to worship, therefore a land where He could deliver and setup His Church without either the brit or anti-christ pope persecutions.

May 21, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. George

Yours, mine, and everyone's world will end when our conscious mind dissolves and we take our last breath. The rest of it is just something to frighten children and insecure adults who are afraid to make moral decisions on their own.

May 21, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • sqeptiq

According to Stephen Hawking, the human brain is a self-aware computer; when the parts of a computer stop working, the computer is dead. Just like you and I will be. Done, finished. Just nonworking parts to be disposed of or recycled.

May 21, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. PJ

... and if it doesn't happen it is not the end of the world

May 21, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Viper

Ok.. yeah.. I shot your dog, and did your sister, and your mother, and your aunt! ;-p (maybe)

May 21, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Jonny

It's really great how any mortal person, like this Camping guy, can find so many people to sacrifice their time, money, and safety. No other force, other than religion, can cause so much harm. He is not to blame however, it's the fault of those weak individuals who follow him. Perhaps more education and common sense is needed here....

May 21, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tom V.

Sad, but true. The stranger the claims, the stronger the belief.

May 21, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. adam

I love this. at least we don't have to pay our debt to China. go Christian nuts.

May 21, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. MJ

6pm??? It is now after 8pm in the area of the world where Jesus actually lived..... Oh , thats right, the rapture takes place at 6pm Eastern Standard Time!, right?? I forgot that America is the new "chosen" land and the American Southeast is where the new "Chosen people" live! America has a potent mix of crazy-arrogant-ignorant people that hide behind the label of Evangelical Christian! in the words of Mohandas Gandhi
    "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." AMEN!

May 21, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dana

Actually they said it would start at the international dateline and make its way west, so that it would be at 6 pm for everyone. And please don't generalize this handful of idiots to all Americans.

May 21, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • MJ

@Dana, I too am a Christian...Defined as a follower of Christ! These people are Christians in name only! Christianity in this country is now overrun with these people! These people will be the death of Christianity in this country.

May 21, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • MJ

Well... then, as I said, it would have already started.

May 21, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • JasonB

Sadly MJ, I have to agree with much of what you say. How many of the so-called religious people in the american south (and not just the southeast – Texans are the worst) are just like the zealots of Christ's time. That goes double for EVERY – and I mean EVERY TV evangelist and superchurches (greedy rich businesses out to steal the money from the unfortunately weakminded.

I thank the Good Lord that I have a good Church that still preaches salvation just as Christ, and John the Baptist and even David (read Psalms) did before. A Church that has a clear line of baptism back to John, a Church that doesn't care about money. A Church that doesn't try to claim they know the day or hour to frighten people into giving more money.

May 21, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Charisse

So many of you are trying to deny that God exists or that the Bible is a sham or that Jesus is not the Messiah... but yet you provide no evidence for your accusations. I know what the Bible, the only true Word of the living God, says about the rapture and judgment day. It won't be today, as people have already provided scriptures to support that claim, but it will happen. None of you have to make a confession about your life to me, but rest assured, if you die today and have not confessed Christ as your Lord and Savior, you WILL go to hell, whether you believe in hell or not. Stay ready or get ready so it won't be too late....

May 21, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dana

The burden of proof is not upon the disbeliever of absurd assertions. Just like: I can fly. Now prove that I can't.

May 21, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • HeIsGod

Amen, Charrisse, and another thing, no one will be notified about the day and hour of the rapture, for Christ shall return like a thief in the night.

May 21, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • MJ

@Charisse "you WILL go to hell" Really? Who exactly do you think you are? Are you the Lords personal`viceroy? Did he tell you this in a vision? YOU Charisse are to judge all that come before you! Your statement is Ignorant self-righteous blasphemy!

May 21, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom V.

No, we are amused by the narcissism and childish behaviour of people who think that they live in the prophesied times and they are chosen and special and heaven alone knows what else. I don't think many of us disbelieve the basic tenets of many religions, but when it gets to the point of "my" god is going to show you that you are wrong and "I" am right, people either laugh or get angry or ignore it.

So come 6PM there are going to be some very disappointed people, their rapture unfortunately may come by their own hand. Which is what I find the really sad thing. Others, who lack any compassion. may look at it as a way of cleaning up the gene pool.

May 21, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • rationalism

i love it when religious nuts try to scare people into submission with the fear of going to 'hell.' first of all, isn't it a little hypocritical to judge and condemn when your little 2,000 year old novel tells you not too in multiple sections. second of all, scaring people to obey some abstract wishful thinking only works when your pulling someone's toe nails out or burning them at the stake.

May 21, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom V.

Its not up to us to prove you wrong as much as it is for you to prove you are right. This time since you (or whoever) has made a physical claim of being raptured away, we shall see who is right and who has been deceived. Will you become an atheist if the rapture doesn't happen? Probably not, you will probably make some lame excuse that they got the time wrong and it will happen next year, next decade, etc. But whatever it is, it will be within your lifetime, because your life is so special compared to all those people who came before you. Oh well, its a money maker for many. But that is the way of the world.

May 21, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • asrael

Well, it's definitely a good and convenient thing that there is the threat of hellfire to wave around; otherwise, so many of these "scoff at your peril" arguments would seem like so much smugly arrogant huffing and puffing...

May 21, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • JanetMermaid

Prove that Christianity is true - WITHOUT quoting scripture or other religious texts that sprang from the bible. There is no proof at all, except for the bible, which believers say is true because the bible says it's true. That's, well, self-referential at BEST. Prove that hell exists, or heaven exists, or Jesus was the son of God, or the rapture is real, or any of the other "absolute assertions" of the bible WITHOUT quoting the bible. Can't be done. Sorry, you lose, but thanks so much for playing!

May 21, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • sqeptiq

Joseph Smith received, from an angel according to Smith, a golden plate that claims the Indians are lost Jews. Does that mean it's true? Millions of people believe it.

May 21, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |