Stars shine at Billboard Music Awards
Beyonce takes the stage Sunday night in Las Vegas at the Billboard Music Awards.
May 22nd, 2011

Stars shine at Billboard Music Awards

The Billboard Music Awards aired Sunday night on ABC with a bevy of top performances from music’s luminaries.

Rihanna. Taylor Swift. Lady Antebellum. Justin Bieber. All the big names won awards. But as it goes with awards shows, it was the performances that made the show.

Keith Urban turned in a spirited performance of "Long Hot Summer." Mary J Blige and Lil Wayne performed "Someone to Love." The Black Eyed Peas, Britney Spears and Nicki Minaj all took turns on the stage.

Beyonce, who took home the Billboard Millennium Award, rocked the place into a frenzy. The singer delighted fans with a fiery performance of her new single, “Who Run the World (Girls)" before receiving the award from her mother, Tina Knowles.

On Twitter Sunday night, the event’s goings-on were heavily and hilariously tweeted, with Lady Antebellum, Billboards, Black Eyed Peas and Fergie all being top Twitter topics.

In February the social networking site was posited by Twitter CEO Dick Costolo as a “second screen” alongside live TV shows, turning television broadcasts into interactive social networking affairs.

And Sunday night was no exception. The hilarious tweets were coming rapidly.

BobbyJamess tweeted, "That awkward moment when Tina Knowles is trending & Beyoncé isn't."

It was that kind of night.

Beyonce's performance Sunday capped an impressive week in which she debuted the long-form version of the lead single from her forthcoming album, "4," and released the cover art for the project.

“I first want to start off by thanking my foundation, my family," she said. "I like to thank my father for teaching me so much about the music industry ... I like to thank (former Destiny's Child members) Kelly and Michelle," she said.

Rihanna won top female artist, screaming “Rihanna Naveeeey," an endearing term for her legion of fans, into the mic in what passed for a short acceptance speech.

Post by:
Filed under: Eminem • Justin Bieber • Music • Twitter
  1. Bill

Want REAL music? Checkout Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. http://www.gracepotter.com

May 23, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. catatemyhomework

Most of today's music is terrible. It is filled with foul language, hate, and vulgarly-dressed people who cannot carry a tune in a bucket.

But today's kids seem to thrive on it; I wonder what those folks will look like in 25 years....

May 23, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
    • oh yea?

Yea ok chill out grandma, there are a few artists these days who can both be pop stars and respectable singers/songwriters. Just because you can't see them from your rocking chair doesn't mean the rest of us are doomed to a future with terrible music and no talent.

May 23, 2011 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Ill agree the music is horrible, but its not the "language". Lets talk about some dirty classic rock and blues lyrics from the 50's and 60's....some even 30s and 40s. "Squeeze my lemon till the juice runs down my leg" "Im going to give you every inch of my love....im going to give you my love...Ohhh...a whole lotta love". "Im a backdoor man, the men dont know, but the little girls understand".

Need I say more?

May 23, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  3. marisa

This pop music is horrible! And can someone please forbid the use of the vocoder?? It's a shame all of the good music has to be kept underground!

May 23, 2011 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  4. John Doe

How can you be sick of something that you obviously don't listen to? Also, unless your a fatty, entertainers these days must flaunt what they have if they want to be successful. Not to mention that all of these entertainers are all talented, in their own way, because otherwise they would not be generating the type of incomes that they do, they may not have Frank Sinatra's voice but being a successful entertainer is not just about "the voice", just ask Simon Cowell. Lastly, who are you to judge? What have you done as of late?

May 23, 2011 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

As a guitar player....I think I speak for most of us in the rock related community.
      Todays music sucks because of computers and fancy gadgets. They allow anyone to become an artist without having that creative flare you once needed. It sucks because beats are bought more then half the time. Its the same old trash with no feeling in the music.

May 23, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • John Doe

I have to disagree, the only thing electronics do is give the creator more tools and more sounds to be creative with. Don't blame the artist blame the people who listen and purchase the music, if people wanted to hear acoustic guitar that is what would be hot..Everything has it's time, and place you can't expect taste to remain the same; don't worry the music today will be even stranger tomorrow!

May 23, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Angelica

Really, Beyonce is the role model for Michelle Obama? This is the girl that took money from a terrorist like Gaddafi and his son for her performance in a private party. Shame on you Michelle! Behave like a first lady and if you want to shovel a celebrity role model in our throats get somebody like Oprah, Brad Pitt & Angelina, Madonna, George Clooney, etc. This people had done so much in the USA and other part of world. They had built homes for the homeless in New Orleans, they had put kids through college, and much more.
    Beyonce is known for cheating her dancers, fashion designers such as Project Runway designer Chris March, R&B singer and songwriter Ne-Yo on their well disserved payment for their hard work to her. Requesting fan to bring cans of food to her concert to feed the hunger or participation in charity commercial doesn’t cost her a penny but to promote her image as a good girl. Not to mention the hell Beyonce and her parents put through Jennifer Hudson in the set of Dream Girls. Be smart people and before you pick somebody to be your idol do your own research first and don’t blind yourselves.

May 23, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Shes also a self hating black. The hair is always a dead give away. They hate black people hair so much that they go out of their way.

May 23, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
    • John Doe

Chris do you like nappy hair? Just because your born with it doesn't mean you got to like it.

May 23, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joey

This show was just a bunch of monkeys jumping around on a stage, dragging their knuckles and flapping their mambo monkey lips. OOGGA BOOGGA BOOGGA! Go eat a banana or smoke some crack you dumb phucking n!ggers. Go back to africa where you belong.

May 23, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • John Doe

Wow really? I hate to break it to you but everyone is from Africa or the Middle East if your a Christian Believer. I mean your the one making monkey sounds fool.

May 23, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. John Doe

May 23, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. John Doe

I like to get my poop chute drilled by a crackhead jig-a-boo. My mother does too. She gives BJ's on the street corner for meth.

May 23, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. John Doe

Speaking of making monkey sounds, my mother often gets gang banged by a pack of wild jig-a-boos in the room next to mine. It sounds like a bunch of agitated chimpanzees jumping up and down all night. I usually sneak in and watch for awhile before I stroll down to the gay bar and hang out next to the toilet hoping to pratice BJ's on unsuspecting drag queens.

May 23, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Snark Attack

@Chris:
    You've used two Led Zeppelin songs and one Doors song as your example.
    60's songs, to be sure.
    Jealous of Jimmy Page?
    Where are your examples from the thirties?
    Use of the double intendre were staples of music.
    Unfortunately, in today's music, the come right out and say it, in extremely graphic language, no less.
    I'll take Zeppelin over today's garbage any day!

May 24, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  11. juliahulbert

The 2011 Billboard Music Awards, which were held at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, aired May 22nd http://bit.ly/ji98oP

May 24, 2011 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  12. reggie

Hi guys billboard awards but let me point out once again and that is mrs. Beyonce still cant talk and it is embarassing to hear her speak yes she can sing she got all that and please lets not forget the way she has treated members in her group lets not forget those girls will never make the money she will make omg its the diana ross story all over again so I would advise you to just watch her just watch.

May 24, 2011 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
  13. tammi

Beyonce have a terrible accent and she looks old

May 24, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Berge

look at designer bags online shopping designer bags to take huge discount

August 14, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Music artists

If you're brand new musicians you'll be able to become your personal supervisor, this may just be sure you get 100% movie stars to tunes that you've produced. At initial stages this can be ...silver us coins

January 31, 2012 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |