Tornado causes 'some fatalities' in Joplin, Missouri
May 22nd, 2011

Tornado causes 'some fatalities' in Joplin, Missouri

A violent tornado struck Joplin, Missouri, on Sunday afternoon, causing "some fatalities" and significant damage to buildings, officials told CNN.

Also, the National Weather Service said it was tracking a "large and extremely dangerous tornado" near Noel, Missouri.

The twister that hit Joplin, about 150 miles south of Kansas City, Missouri, caused "some fatalities," though the exact number was not known, said Lynn Ostot, spokeswoman for the city of Joplin.

Authorities there were contending with multiple reports of people trapped, as well as significant structural damage to St. John's Regional Medical Center, which was hit directly by the apparent tornado, city officials said. CNN affiliate KSHB said there were reports of fires throughout the hospital.

Read the complete story on CNN.com

Post by:
Filed under: Missouri • Tornadoes • Weather
  1. Lauren

So far reports that the hospital is mostly destroyed with a gas leak, the High School has been destroyed, the Wal-mart is gone along with many other businesses and homes, 24 unconfirmed dead...I'm in Springfield 70 miles east of Joplin with family in Joplin who thankfully only suffered damage to their homes.

May 22, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniele

Can you please tell me is Joplin Health and Rehab Center has been hit??? My uncle is there and we can't find out anything please if you can tell me anything it would really help.

May 22, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mike

Thats horrible. I have family throughout that area and a grandpa in rockaway beach just east of there.. hope everything is ok

May 22, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Alex

I travel to Joplin for work occasionally, and this is kind of scary. I was there at this time last year. I hope all the fellas at Jasper Products are safe and sound!

May 22, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • heather

people at jasper products are ok

May 22, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bonnie

Lauren, is there any way you can tell me if the Town Hills country club is damaged and how much. I have an aunt that lives right around there and I am worried about her. Please any help with do. God bless. She lived 2204 Iron Gate.

May 22, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • candace

The twin hills area has been hit. I am sorry. I am in Joplin. An F5 tornado 1 mile wide touched down and traveled right down 20th street. The twin hills golf course was our back yard, and our house is gone!

May 22, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniele

Candace can you please tell me if Joplin Health and Rehab Center has been hit???

May 22, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bonnie

Candace do you by chance know Jessie Scott or Frank. we are from eastern kansas and so frantic for help. Thanks

May 22, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Horne

they movved patents to anothger hospital

May 22, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Melony

At a time like this its best to forget about the memories of yesterday, and the ridiculous theroy's of today, instead pray for the community affected and wish them all since luck and strength! Horrible year for tornado's!

May 22, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. dan smith fayette mo

I've never been through a tornado experience, however in the late eighties I was driving to Orlando Fla. one fall, the morning I hit Huntsville a tornado had gone through earlier in the morning and had torn up houses on one side of the highway, fortunately no one was killed. The devastation was terrible though.

May 22, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Horne

freeman hospital was place where they moved the patients triage in effect for that hospital as well

May 22, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Kendra Clairday

My heart goes out to all. You're in my prayers. God be with you all. I worked as a volunteer in the Tuscaloosa/Hackleburg disaster relief and it was devastating. However, God showed up in his might to comfort those.

May 22, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. monica

prayers for the victims and surivors.

May 22, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Melony

I wish I was there to help these people! My heart pours for all affected! (Over the past to months)

May 22, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mike mallatt

My girlfriend lives 2 blocks from St Johns and her house is fine, not a shingle out of place.

May 22, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniele

Does she know if Joplin Health and Rehab Center has been hit??? My uncle is there and we can't find out anything please if you can tell me anything it would really help.

May 22, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Brandy Blount

God Speed!! Give those who need strenth the power to do what they can to help those who are at need, and comfort to those who are looking for ,or lost a loved one.. thoughts and prayers please!!

May 22, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ashley

My husbands family lives there n all around the area. Hoping everyone is ok!

May 22, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sonny

Where can i go for a continually updated list of fatalities?

May 22, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniele

If you find out were to go can you please put it up here so i can see

May 22, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sonny

best Ive got so far is copy and paste all:
      http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?action=wp&feedId=2798 Live police/fire of Joplin Tornado

May 22, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |