Tornado causes 'some fatalities' in Joplin, Missouri
May 22nd, 2011

Tornado causes 'some fatalities' in Joplin, Missouri

A violent tornado struck Joplin, Missouri, on Sunday afternoon, causing "some fatalities" and significant damage to buildings, officials told CNN.

Also, the National Weather Service said it was tracking a "large and extremely dangerous tornado" near Noel, Missouri.

The twister that hit Joplin, about 150 miles south of Kansas City, Missouri, caused "some fatalities," though the exact number was not known, said Lynn Ostot, spokeswoman for the city of Joplin.

Authorities there were contending with multiple reports of people trapped, as well as significant structural damage to St. John's Regional Medical Center, which was hit directly by the apparent tornado, city officials said. CNN affiliate KSHB said there were reports of fires throughout the hospital.

Read the complete story on CNN.com

Post by:
Filed under: Missouri • Tornadoes • Weather
  1. phillip

It sounds like there were two tornadoes from the descriptions I'm hearing. One going sw past St. Johns. Another one going down 20th street from the high school to walmart/home depot

May 22, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. StephenK

read http://www.the-end.com so far this guys has said makes sense and has said a few things that has come true.

May 22, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

Lol

May 22, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Li'l Tommy

"...and has said a few things that has(sic) come true."

Seriously??? Have you ever heard of the Law of Averages? Basically it goes like this:

The more times a person speaks, the greater number of things that will "come true."

Trust me, there have been quite a few lies that I have boldly told that ended up coming true before it was over...doesn't really make me a prophet, so much as a good (and lucky) b.s. artist!

May 23, 2011 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
  3. Sara

My thoughts and prayers go out to hurt stay safe God bless all

May 22, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Teresa

My heart goes out to all people in Joplin and surrounding towns from this devasting storm.

May 22, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. esau

Gad bless Joplia, a pray everyone

May 22, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sonny

Daniele go to this website and listen for scanner info for now. http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?action=wp&feedId=2798 Live police/fire of Joplin Tornado

May 22, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sonny

copy and paste all

May 22, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Rod Ward

I have rel there Lat Name Hicks, Joy works at hospital, does anyone know if there alright

May 22, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ronald in Mena, Arkansas

My heart & prayers go out to the people in Joplin. i understand your suffering & loss,because our little town of Mena Arkansas was devastated by an EF-3 tornado on April 9, 2009. You are in my prayers. May God be with you during this horrible crisis.

May 22, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. diane

make sure you check here for anyone who is missing: https://safeandwell.communityos.org/cms/index.php

safeandwell.communityos.org

May 22, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sonny

Thanks! that will help too.

May 22, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. diane

Also, I heard that the hospitals need English/Spanish translators...

May 22, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rod Ward

Does anyone know if Joy Hicks is ok, works at hospital and rest of her family I live in az and just heard news

May 22, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Wiley

Great Job CNN I have been watching report for over an hour while MSNBC has the s e x trade show on and Fox has Geraldo talking about the Orlando trial during the whole time.
    Someone needs to wake them up to breaking news. I would say you have done it.

May 22, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ellis

Hi Wiley com over my place. We can pop some corn together. You're not straight are you?

May 22, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Pablo

I was just in Joplin last December and the people there were incredibly nice enough to help me when my car broke down. I hope for the best for the families there and especially for the metal heads that know how to rock'n roll.

May 22, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Diane

My daughter and family live in Joplin and were on the road when this hit. They ran for cover in a near by restaurant. My daughter had called me crying and told me she loved me and the phone went dead. This was the worst phone call I have ever received, I tried to call her back and could not reach her. And then praise the Lord she text me and told me they were safe. She said the pictures on TV don't even tell the real story..Thier home is fine, they all are still pretty shook up – but safe. She said the tornado came up so fast, they were not prepared. God Bless the people of Joplin

May 23, 2011 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |