Tornado causes 'some fatalities' in Joplin, Missouri
May 22nd, 2011

Tornado causes 'some fatalities' in Joplin, Missouri

A violent tornado struck Joplin, Missouri, on Sunday afternoon, causing "some fatalities" and significant damage to buildings, officials told CNN.

Also, the National Weather Service said it was tracking a "large and extremely dangerous tornado" near Noel, Missouri.

The twister that hit Joplin, about 150 miles south of Kansas City, Missouri, caused "some fatalities," though the exact number was not known, said Lynn Ostot, spokeswoman for the city of Joplin.

Authorities there were contending with multiple reports of people trapped, as well as significant structural damage to St. John's Regional Medical Center, which was hit directly by the apparent tornado, city officials said. CNN affiliate KSHB said there were reports of fires throughout the hospital.

Read the complete story on CNN.com

Post by:
Filed under: Missouri • Tornadoes • Weather
  1. Joy

My prayers go out to the City of Joplin in their time of need but I truly thank God for sparing my children and grandchildren because they all live there. God have mercy and keep everyone safe.

May 23, 2011 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  2. chrisa

I am disappointed and frustrated that you took the breaking news story of the Joplin disaster off the air to run a tired re-hash of a washed-up Mel Gibson. What is that about? And whatever happened to 24 hour news?

May 23, 2011 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  3. Amy B

I am praying for the families and my fellow americans in Joplin,Missouri yet I am we also have families who lost their homes here in Minneapolis too that have been effected today as tornadoes hit here as well. Just want minneapolis residents as well as Joplin to know your not alone we are here for you.

May 23, 2011 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. Amy B

I was in Lafayette LA during katrina and Rita and I will say this this IS ONE nation, under God and we are country that is here for one another as a united country!!!! This is a national issue and our fellow americans need us. Each of us can make a difference.

May 23, 2011 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  5. Name*dennis lee

Most of joplin is in rubble. I'm sitting in the pediatric unit at the hostpital with my three children and my wife. We are all injured but not life threatening. We thank god first and foremost that we survived. No one in vehicles around us were alive, as we were in a my truck. Somehow we were spared. My thoughts and my prayers to my neighbors.

May 23, 2011 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Michelle in CA

Praying for you and your family, and all of those who were injured. I cannot believe the devastation I am seeing and I dread hearing the news of the death toll. God speed!

May 23, 2011 at 4:27 am | Report abuse |
  6. Li'l Tommy

My thoughts and prayers are with those who have been affected by this tragedy. May God be with you all.

May 23, 2011 at 4:05 am | Report abuse |
  7. kay gee

could the man who predicted this disaster have been a little correct? and a day late??

May 23, 2011 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
  8. Joe

"Cursed be everyone who curses you (Israel),
    and blessed be those who bless you (Israel)."
    (Genesis 27:29)
    (This is a clear warning to all people/nations who curse the nation or people of Israel)

May 23, 2011 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Ruth

You are crazy!!!!!!!

May 23, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  9. anna johnson

may god be with every one in joplin as thay go on with this sadnes

May 23, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  10. Debra Genzlinger

HELP HELP!!!! Love Of A Dog is collecting donations of clothing, blankets, water and money to deliver to Joplin, MO to assist the devastation caused by a tornado. ANYONE who would like to donate, please contact us right away. We will be leaving by tomorrow with a trailer as full as possible of items to help the homeless. Cash donations can be made via Paypal or credit card. Please contact us at (815) 878-0197

May 23, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jamie

Praying for you from Alabama. Unfortunately, we know all too well what you all are trying to cope with this morning. Help is coming! We have seen people from all over the country respond and come down to help! No doubt we will all help you in your time of need.

May 23, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  12. Angelica

Really, Beyonce is the role model for Michelle Obama? This is the girl that took money from a terrorist like Gaddafi and his son for her performance in a private party. Shame on you Michelle! Behave like a first lady and if you want to shovel a celebrity role model in our throats get somebody like Oprah, Brad Pitt & Angelina, Madonna, George Clooney, etc. This people had done so much in the USA and other part of world. They had built homes for the homeless in New Orleans, they had put kids through college, and much more.
    Beyonce is known for cheating her dancers, fashion designers such as Project Runway designer Chris March, R&B singer and songwriter Ne-Yo on their well disserved payment for their hard work to her. Requesting fan to bring cans of food to her concert to feed the hunger or participation in charity commercial doesn’t cost her a penny but to promote her image as a good girl. Not to mention the hell Beyonce and her parents put through Jennifer Hudson in the set of Dream Girls. Be smart people and before you pick somebody to be your idol do your own research first and don’t blind yourselves.

May 23, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  13. susan lamar

to those affected by the tornados last night my thoughts and prayers are with you. Living in north alabama I've seen the destruction with my own eyes. Pictures can't come close to seeing it. Here in alabama our hearts and bodies are healing. Please keep strong. God bless you

May 23, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  14. STEPHEN MOORE

MY PRAYERS AND THOUGHTS ARE WITH MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY IN JOPLIN MO

May 23, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  15. ladyluck

my prayers and thoughts are with all from joplin and surounding areas . as i am from lamar mo. and now live in ms. and we recently went trhu the same i praying for all of u

May 23, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |