Wednesday's intriguing people
May 25th, 2011

Wednesday's intriguing people

Dr. Lawrence Egbert

Egbert, an 83-year-old anesthesiologist, is being called "The New Doctor Death" by Newsweek. Egbert told The Baltimore Sun he's helped in the deaths of over 300 patients with illnesses ranging from cancer to Alzheimer's.

Egbert, who runs a right-to-die nonprofit called Final Exit Network, faces charges in Georgia, according to The Daily Beast, and was just acquitted in Phoenix in a case involving the death of a woman.

"I never thought of myself as having done anything that I should feel guilty of," he told the Sun. "I don't feel any conflict about helping someone stop suffering."

The group says it will help those who "have an incurable condition which causes intolerable suffering," according to its website . The group says there is a full and rigorous evaluation to decide whether to approve an applicant.  When a person is accepted, FEN assigns “exit guides” who offer advice on how to "hasten death," though physically they will not do anything to help.

Sandy Elliott

The Wichita, Kansas-based school nurse was at St. John's Regional Medical Center in Joplin, Missouri, this week where her father was being treated in the ICU, CNN affiliate KSN reports.  After the massive tornado hit on Sunday, she helped treat patients hurt in the destruction, and later took photos of the battered facility.

Elliott set up a triage center to assess people and patients severely injured by broken glass and debris. Her father's condition worsened when he was removed from his ventilator. While she and her family have since relocated her father to a Pittsburg, Kansas, hospital, she remains affected by the experience.

“I’ll never be the same after seeing that much destruction," she said.

Pedro Pablo Oliva

The well-known Cuban painter defended his rights to free expression and to meet with dissidents on Monday, slamming the government's "narrow-mindedness," Havana Times.org reports.

Oliva sent a letter around to journalists in Cuba saying he was expelled as a delegate from the Provincial Assembly of Popular Power.

In a letter sent to blogger Yoani Sanchez, he said “I am accused, among other things, of having made public my thoughts in the terrain of dissidence.

"In any event, participating with ideas in other settings of debate doesn’t in any way imply similar thinking," he continued. "I am also being questioned for maintaining relations of friendship with certain ‘counter-revolutionary elements.’ I choose my own friends."

1. DerpDiggler

It's great that someone actually cares for others and helps them out this way.

Wanted to get that out before all the christians find this and start complaining about how terrible he is for helping people out this way.

After all, all christians want is to make people suffer their lives and take away their right to life and death.

Making your life decisions for you: that's the christian way! :)

May 25, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Joey

Dr. Lawrence Egbert is a hero.
    What he is doing needs to be done.

May 25, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Daniel

Thank you,Joey. I totally agree with you and all the others who blogged in here so far.

May 25, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lisa

Interminable suffering is not "living". That is not how I want to be remembered. I have an illness that will kill me within 20 yrs-best case. The pain is manageable (w/meds) now and my quality of life is still good. But when the pain gets to be too much and the gnarling of my bones & joints keep me from functioning I will be looking for a colleague of Dr. Egbert.

May 25, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. bobcat2u

Thank you Dr. Egbert for caring enough for people to help them end their suffering. I feel that is the only humane way to deal with quality of life issues. If you are in pain all the time, that is not quality. Keep up the good work.

May 25, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Daniel

Thank you,bobcat2u. I feel the same way. However,those who are going after Dr.Egbert need to be prosecuted themselves for violating the 8th Amendment.

May 25, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy

What up, Derp? Long time, not see!

Hello, Joey! Likewise!

I agree completely with every one who has posted thus far. I am also glad he doesn't feel guilty; he has no need to be.
    If I were in his patients condition, I would gladly embrace death.
    My descision, my choice!

May 25, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Joseph McCarthy

It's about time time that the Senate did something right for a change. What they need to do is to stop the runaway military spending and put more into medicare and social security. After all,the duty of the government is to care for the needs of it's people,not to murder others overseas!!!

May 25, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joseph McCarthy

I want to add that the authorities in Georgia who want to prosecute Dr.Lawrence Egbert are the true criminals in this case and not Dr. Egbert himself. It goes to show just how insensitive these creeps are to human suffering.

May 26, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |